Who would you trade for Rubio?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Laimbrane, Jun 27, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

There was almost no game tape of Darko.

Rubio has played at the highest levels possible outside the US and been scouted by everyone.

I think people forget just what a reach Darko was considering Joe fell in love with him during private workouts, and not based on the body of his experience.
  2. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

First Minny did him no favors by drafting him 5th. They did it so the could pay the point guard they wanted (Flynn) less money. Considering they wanted Flynn, not Rubio, they probably should have done Flynn the favor.

Second, Rubio has been treated like a piece of meat by his current Euro team, and now by his new NBA team, so I don't expect him to show any humbleness or gratitude for the privilege of being drafted for the sole purpose of being traded to the highest bidder.

Minny does not want him, they want what ever the highest bidder will give them.

As far as Detroit getting him, from what I've read, Rubio would prefer a big market team, but would accept a smaller market that used him properly. I guess that rules out Detroit with Curry as head coach.

But given all that, Detroit could pull this off. Minny has PGs and PFs, and not much else. We offer Tay, Rip for Etan and Rubio, maybe throw in a future 1st rounder, I think we get the deal done.

If we can sign Turk and Bosh, we could have a lineup of:
    Rubio
    Stuckey
    Turk
    Bosh
    The Poet

I like it, I like it alot.
  3. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Go with what David Kahn said...Anything else is speculation at this point..

This is what Kahn stated as far as selecting Rubio with the 5th pick..."I purposely selected Ricky with the fifth pick, not the sixth, to help with his buyout situation. Ricky and his family have taken a very bold step to enter the NBA despite having two years remaining on his contract with his Spanish team. I know that they would have preferred that we try to move to the second or third pick to take him. He will be our starting point guard here the moment he walks through our front door. We may have to wait a year, or even two, but he is worth the wait. We must be patient. This is a big step for he and his family."

Open Letter from David Kahn:
    http://www.twincities.com/timberwolves/ci_12697087?nclick_check=1
  4. lovingj

lovingj First Round Draft Pick

Ouch, if we can get that line up we would be a monster. I would also like to slap Chandler on the end at center but don't know if we could afford that after adding bosh and turk.
  5. kcpistonfan

kcpistonfan First Round Draft Pick

To be honest, I like Rubio. However, I am not giving up much in the way of players (since we only have about 6 people on our roster). I am not an expert on how the cap works with picks, but I would give them a first round pick in 2010, second round pick 2011, and first round pick in 2012, and some cash considerations. I think that is good enough compensation.
  6. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I wouldn't give up much for him since none of us have really even seen him play and we can't even gauge how his game will translate to the NBA level.

But among things I've heard...

1. He can't shoot
    2. He can't defend
    3. Poor athlete; lacks explosion that most NBA guards have.
    4. Body isn't NBA ready... weak and often gets pushed around
  7. V_T

V_T Second Round Draft Pick

Rubio has a potential of a genius. Calderon doesn't have it. If you can sign Rubio, you should do it.
    I would trade any of our players except Hamilton for him without any doubt. In my opinion, the only problem with him is that he just might not want to play in certain NBA team
  8. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

Rubio is the future of their franchise and I don't think we have any pieces at all we could possibly use to pry him away from them. The Timberwolves front office is also comfortable with him staying in Europe for a couple more years if the buyout can't be worked out. He's really special, he held his own against NBA competition at the age of 17, what will he be like at 25? He's got an entire careers worth of highlight reels and he's so young...they aren't trading him at all, period, end of story.
  9. rip_city

rip_city First Round Draft Pick

I find it pretty funny that people complain that Daye is a bit of a project but some of the same people would want Rubio who is going to take some time and can be considered a project too.
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

That would be true if it is the fans that's deciding on the picks in the draft. It is probably not the case when teams have, what's the word, yes, scouts, following Euro ball.
  11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So at this point, what would you offer for Rubio, and what would Minnesota take to part with him?
  12. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Our lottery pick if it's lower than 5, plus Summers.
  13. S.J.

S.J. Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Believe me.

Stuckey is way more better than Rubio RIGHT now.. (I'm not saying that maybe in 5 or 6 years will mantein the same, but right now and in 1 or 2 years more I would stay with Rodney)

I don't like Rubio in Pistons Uniform. I rather get Stephen Curry or Darren Collison
  14. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

What style is that? Defense first? Pass first offense? Drive and kick? Tell me. I really want to know what style of basketball the Detroit Pistons play NOW. The whole point is we are a team in transition and we are figuring that out in our rebuild. It's messy, right? We don't know yet what style of ball we play but one thing we do know is that we probably need a decent point guard to play whatever style it is.

I say definitely yes on Rubio when it comes to raw talent. But I don't think we can get him and frankly, not to be too terribly cynical or anything, but I'm not sure "we" know what to do with him if we do get him. It seems to me that the talents of Stuckey, Ben Gordon, Bynum, Rip...really all of our guards seem to going downhill rather than uphill. I don't know why this might be...but it does seem to be the case that our guards are just not what they used to be, regardless of when they became Pistons.

On the other hand, how are we going to get better without really great raw talent? So...I'm ambivalent. I wanted Sacramento to draft Ricky Rubio Really Really Bad and they went with Tyreke Evans and it has turned out great for them.
  15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

For Rubio I would trade them Rascoe, Jammer, and if they really insist...Bill Laimbeer.

No...wait...let's make them take Bill Laimbeer too whether they want him or not!
    :pound::pound::pound:
  16. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Rip Hamilton's contract and the rights to Trent Plaisted.
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Isn't Bill Laimbeer already the Timberwolves' assistant coach?
  18. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Oh, Hiya Bill. Uhmmm...yeah. I forgot. Yup. That's the Bill Laimbeer I was talking about. Well, it was sure nice seeing you after all this time. I didn't know you ever read this thread.

Yeesh. What a dolt. ROTFLMAO! I can't believe he thought I was talking about somebody else!!!
  19. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Well, if we win the lottery, they'd probably take John Wall for Rubio. Other than that, I don't think we have a single thing Minny (or any other team) would want with the exception of Jonas. And Jonas aint worth Rubio.
  20. NEPTUNEDI

NEPTUNEDI Second Round Draft Pick

Have you ever seen this guy except the world cup final. he is so overrated. you know nothing about european basketball. Ask Spurs , they nothing something about international players evaluation. He was so high in last years drafts and that shows the decline of the talent that comes in the NBA nowadays. go for Teontosits or big sofo.