Why Are You Here and Will You Stay?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by dba, Jul 18, 2006.

?

Why Are You Here?

1. Detroiter / Homer - my team right or wrong

53 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. Players - I follow players not teams

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. Winning - not going to watch a loser

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  4. Game - basketball junkie

7 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

When I was a season ticket holder in DC the Bullets were consistently a few games below 0.500. Not all the away games were televised (or were on some channel I didn’t get), so it was pretty much only the home games I saw. And at home they generally won two of three and often a bit more. Plus, there was Manute Bol blocking 15 in a game a couple of times, Moses Malone knocking down 21 free throws in one game and scoring 50 in another, the sweet jumper of Jeff Malone, and Bernard King scoring 24 in a single quarter. They never made it out of the first round of the playoffs, but they were my guys and I was in my seat win or lose.

I was in Chicago for the two Bulls’ three-peats and probably saw (on TV mostly) three quarters of the games they played in those years and the years in between. But the breakup of the team by management left a bad taste and with basically no continuity in players, it was a different team and I lost interest in them. So, it was off to Ann Arbor a Pistons’ infatuation.

So, for me it’s about the players. If I like them, find them interesting, find them to have foibles, then I stick with the team. If the players go away and I don’t like their replacements, then I lose interest. Big Ben is gone, but the other guys are still here, so sign me up for another 82.

I suspect even TheeTFD might hang around despite what he says.
  2. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Strange enough, I don't care about the players that much- they come and go. As soon as a player wears the Pistons uniform I like him and I haven't got any logical explanation for that. From that time when I became a fan, Lindsey is the only one who's still around. I really don't understand why the jersey is so important, maybe it's because you follow the team, read articles, see every game and identify with the team without any good reason.
  3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Its about the players. Liking them and how they work together. I think as teams are constantly evolving, if an organization doesn't bring in likeable players, I will probably lose affinity for the team.

Guys become more interesting the moment they get here. There's nothing that made Delk particularly interesting to me before he got here but when he did, I was pulling for him to do well. The only person I'm REALLY disillusioned with is the coach.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Are you kidding me? I still watch the Lions. I can't help myself. I love my Detroit teams. I'm sticking around.

Besides, this forum is a lot more than just people sharing a common interest in the same team or sport. Yeah, that's the main substance, but it isn't the glue that bonds us.

:grouphug:
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Growing up in Windsor, you either cheered a Toronto team or a Detroit one.

I grew up with a view of Cobo and the Joe from my bedroom window. Always a Detroiter in spirit.

If you haven't seen this site, take a half hour out of your life to appreciate the splendour that was once Detroit.

http://www.forgottendetroit.com

~
  6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yup, the only exception for me is the Habs (french canadian).

For me its been the Lions, Pistons, Blue Jays and Habs all my life. Same as my dad.
  7. linwood

linwood All-Star

I moved to Detroit from Kentucky in 1992. I follow (to the best of my ability) the Kentucky Wilcats just like my parents, grandparents, sisters, brothers, cousins, uncles and aunts do. The Cats are close to a religion back home.

I started watching the NBA around '93 or '94 because I just couldn't get alot of the Wilcats games up here. I watched through MIkki Moore, Alan Houston, Jerry Stackhouse, Cliff Robinson, Grant Hill, Damon Jones, Zelico Rebracha and Bison Dele.

Over the past 12 or 13 years I have become every bit as obsessed with the Pistons as the rest of my family is about UK.

I just moved to Seattle a few weeks ago, so I'm sure I will end up watching some Sonics games. I think I'm going to break down and spend the cheese on cable this year so I can buy league pass to watch the Pistons. And the Wildcats!
  8. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Born and raised in Michigan so homer it is for me. It's funny because I grew up in a Wolverine area, now I live in Spartan country. I still can't believe how much I don't like green and that I haven't been lynched for wearing my colors especially at work. So about the only team I don't care for is State.
  9. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i just love the game

i'm a pistons fan but i watch any nba basketball that i can. i watch the pistons because i'm a fan of the team. there are usually like 3 pistons i don't like and 3 that i have an uncalled for attachment to. i'm usually never happy with the coach but i'm still a fan of the team.

i watch the other games because of individual players. i'm a darko fan to the end. i'm still checking on how he does in europe even though he isn't a piston anymore.
  10. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Too bad about bison dele. lost at sea it seems .he sure was a strange one. i have loved the pistons since the bad boy days. i like the fact that they are good sports, good teammates, good players, and good guys. No gun violations, no wife beatings, (except darvins' wife beating him) no screaming at each other on the floor like Payton and Wade, no pounding other players, like shaq does, and no big egos ,like ben was getting to have. no screaming at the coach or refusing to play, no ball hogs, no fan punchers, like ron ron. no coaches that pick fights with opposing players, like scott stiles. no crybaby people in management that call the league in a snit. the fact that mr. d. was the first owner to buy a team their own plane. no temper tantrums in public, no fisticuffs against the opposition. (L .B. was becoming a problem in the big ego and temper tantrum areas) great fans, great arena, great management.etc. etc. etc. but what can we do to get the refs to give us some calls???? bribery??
  11. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Dude, I wish you hadn't posted that. It really makes me want to move back there and find a nice high rise downtown.
  12. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

Detroit was the team that got me turned into a fanatic for the NBA; however, with the leave of Ben - I find myself in a state of disarray.

I've stated it before - but I'll say it again, he was the reason I started liking the Pistons and as the group began to develop together I became attached to the "Best Starting Five" in the league. Now that Ben's gone, questions arise whether this steel-plated Pistons pride can be dented or not.

The four are still there and I'll continue to support them, but with the addition of Flip as coach and now Murray - the foundation of "Hard Work" and the "Defence-first" mentality seems to be dying down along with my support. If the team next year shows signs of lazy defence, incapable of stopping guys like D.Wade or Lebron like they did last season - I'm going to be their harshest critic.

We need to remember the year the Pistons won where Tayshaun absolutely shut down Kobe which was vital to their championship. Since I've been a kid I've beleved in "Defence Wins Games", and if it doesn't show on the court then there's no hope at all.

The players are the ones we depend on night in and night out, if they're gone so goes the identity of the team. I don't remember hearing much about Defence durign the teal days when Grant Hill was around. And I'm to definately not going to keep supporting a team that plays horribly like that - with less support comes the urgent need for change. Just look at the Raptors :)
  13. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I couldn't really choose any of the options seeing as I'm from overseas.
    I've been following the pistons since about 91, but only closely since 94 or so.

I follow this team - win or lose.

I've been lucky that I've actually liked a lot of the players on pistons rosters over the years. I have and will follow some ex-piston players in their next team, such as ben, but they will no longer be close to my heart.

i also have some other favourite players who i follow on other teams but i can't see myself changing teams - win or lose. thats just not cricket...
  14. crumbs

crumbs First Round Draft Pick

For me it's a combo for being a homer and being a basketball junkie. I don't have the time to watch as much NCAA and NBA games as I did in the past, but still catch most of the Pistons games as I can.

Anyway, yes, I will stay regardless of the team's success.
  15. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Re: i just love the game

bball jay: "Man, I'm so lost."

barber: "You really in love, ain't you Jay?"

bball jay: "He's all I think about, night and day. Day and night. I got it bad."

barber: "Darko love. I've seen it before." (cut to photo of Darko swatting a shot away) "But never like this." (all shake their heads)
  16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Grew up in Motown. Left 25 years ago, but have always followed and supported my "home" teams since I left. Wear my Pistons, Wolverines, etc., apparel proudly:nod:
  17. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I'm a homer. BIG TIME!

My first love was the Detroit Tigers. One of my oldest memories as a child was waking up at 5am every morning to read the newspaper and look at the Tigers box scores with my father. I studied every team's batting/pitching averages religiously. Certifiable Detroit Tigers junkie. From there it spread to every other Detroit sports team. Anyone who knows me associates me somehow to Detroit sports. I guess you can thank my departed grandfather who played as an allstar pitcher in the Negro Leagues for passing the sports fan gene to me. The Pistons won me over as my favorite sports team through Isiah Thomas. I related to him. He came from challenging beginnings, was considered short relative to the average NBA player and had the heart of a lion.

Living in Tampa, FL for the past 8 years has not changed my affiliation. Even with a Tampa Bay Lightning and Buccaneer championship during my stay here. The reality is that there is nothing that will sway my allegience away from Detroit sports. On my death bed I will probably be wondering if the Pistons won that night. Seriously.
  18. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Born in Old Grace Hospital, grew up in N.W. Detroit. Move Away in the 80's.

Growing up, my entire household was staunch pistons, tigers, red wings and lions fans. It was the norm to go to church on Sunday, then my father would drop us off on livernois so we could take the bus to Joy Road and transfer.

We would sometimes wait 2 hours after the game just to see the tigers come out of the parking garage. My brothers and I used to walk to the Olympia when the Red Wings were playing there. As I got older Me and my friends would go down to the Joe for the basketball games, sometimes waiting forever on the dexter avenue bus.

I am a stone cold pistons, tigers, lions and red wings fan. They can do no wrong in my eyes. I will defend them with all the passion and honor in the world. Like my dad used to say, "never let anyone outside the family talk about your brothers or sisters, even though you can fight like cats and dogs amongst yourselves".

When I retire from the military, I will find me a nice little gig in Windsor or Detroit or its surrounding surburbs. That's me.
  19. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I'm from the mid-Michigan area. Have spent time in both mid East Michigan (tri-cities) and mid West Michigan (Big Rapids).

I started watching the Pistons when I was just a tiny little kid. I remember falling asleep watching the Pistons play the Lakers in the finals, must have been in 88(?), I woke up in bed and my dad left me a note that the Pistons lost the game. We moved to another part of Michigan with cable then and I watched a lot of the Bad Boys games, and became a big fan. I kind of lost interest during the Teal Years, and because of my roomates and friends, started following the Wings really closely.

I still followed the Pistons in the papers and on Sportcenter, but rarely watched games.

Then in the early 2000's I started catching Pistons games and following them more closely. I got the internet and became quite obsessed, however I am still, and will always be, more of a Wing Nut.

I watch every Lions game, and have for a long time, but I just can't follow them with blind faith.

I'm not really sure of which league the Tigers play in.

And, as some of you know, I like Michigan, and can't stand anything from East Lansing, especially if it's Green and White. I even root for Ohio State and Notre Dame when they play State.
  20. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Didn't know you were from there, Linwood. Where in Kentucky were you living? I grew up in Lexington, so of course the Wildcats are a religion with me as well. Not that last season (or this coming one) are exactly good for keeping one's faith in that particular religion...:doh:

I got into the Pistons when I first started watching basketball in the late '80s. The hard-nosed defense and team-first mentality of the Bad Boys got me hooked, and I've been a fan ever since. Although, admittedly, I didn't follow them quite as closely during the lean years that spanned the fall of the Bad Boys, the teal era, etc. I guess I'm a bit of a bandwagon-a$@-cat after all. ;) Though I do love pro hoops and always follow it closely, even when I can't generate much excitement about my own team.