Why Are You Here and Will You Stay?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by dba, Jul 18, 2006.

?

Why Are You Here?

1. Detroiter / Homer - my team right or wrong

53 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. Players - I follow players not teams

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. Winning - not going to watch a loser

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  4. Game - basketball junkie

7 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah these are my teams but if they suck I'll drift away.
    Except for the Lions. I can be be a stupid little punk about them. So don't mess.
    I'm very happy for the Tiger fans. But 2 years from now...El Sucko!
    Enjoy while it lasts.
  2. linwood

linwood All-Star

I grew up in Owensboro, but I spent a few years in Lexington at UK. Lived on South Upper street, and later up on N. Broadway. My sister is still in Lexington, so I go home a couple of times a year. It's a very nice city.

I don't get to see as many games as I would like, but I do get constant updates from my family. In fact, my grandfather watched young Detroiter Joe Crawford like a hawk, and reported every minute of play to me. It's now the Detroit-Kentucky connection.

Although this is off topic for the Pistons... If you guys think fans have been hard on Flip Saunders and Larry Brown, you should read some of the local Lexington articles and op-eds on Tubby Smith!
  3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

born a detroiter, lived around this area all my life. pistons / wings / tigers / lions fan for life!! kind of drifted away from the pistons during the teal area but i'm back in full force now. got a season ticket package, go to all the playoff games, read the forums, buy the merchandise. bill d. likes me!! :D
  4. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i voted for the homer option. i think, looking back on my experience, that i need to feel a connection to the teams that are wherever i'm living. i haven't lived in that many different places (portland oregon for three years, madison wisconsin for 19, durham north carolina for 4, LA for 1, and now ann arbor for the last 14). so it's not really a problem after a year or two of adjustment to start clicking into the team that's nearby. obviously i didn't live in LA long enough to develop any affinity with the teams there, and NC at the time didn't have any pro teams (though I did develop a Duke thing since that's where i was in grad school), but i loved all the wisconsin teams (pro and college) when i was growing up there in the 70s and 80s (though most of them sucked most of the time) and by the mid 90s i was into all the detroit and michigan teams.

so i'm staying with all these teams until i don't live here anymore.
  5. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Prof, I spent 10 yrs in Greenville. You ever see anything like the Duke /North Carolina fan feuds. That is easily the most passionate I've ever expierenced.
  6. dozero

dozero First Round Draft Pick

Born and raised. I've been a Piston fan since the Bad Boys. I remember kicking a hole in the wall when in high school because we lose a game durning the finals. Stayed around during the "teal". Cried when Joe played his last game, when Ben's mother passed and failed to understand the whole Bison Dele thing. Cheered loud and proud during the "Big Ben" movement. And I look forward to next year. For some strange reason I often cheered for Mikki Moore (wished they played him as a PF and not a center).

Followed the Tigers when they won it all (I was young and I didn't even play ball so I'm still trying to figure out how I got into them) then I disappeared. Today, I turn them on every now and then hoping they don't pull a "Piston". You know, best record during the season, stand pat before trade deadline and run out of gas during the playoffs.
  7. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

do baseball players actually use any gas?
  8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Pitchers do, at least. Plus the August heat and traveling for 7 months must take a toll on everyone.
  9. pas99

pas99 Second Round Draft Pick

Born and raised in Michigan and followed them all. Tigers (Harvey Kuenn, Al Kaline); Wings (the Production Line); Lions (Bobby Layne and Fearsome Foursome); Pistons (Gene Shue, Bailey Howell and the slick Dave Bing). The games have changed…bigger money, better athletes and roles more refined. All Detroit teams have been hard-nosed and always the slight underdog against the bigger market cities. It will never change.
  10. Capn

Capn First Round Draft Pick

I recently moved to Chicago, and I have been asked many times if I am going to become a fan of the Bulls/Cubs (or WhiteSox) etc.... and I answer with "Nope... Detroit fan, always have been, always will be."

There may be a time in which I enjoy watching other teams play, but it won't be with the same fervor that I watch my Detroit teams.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

And that is a large part of why I love them. This is a great thread.
  12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

For folks of my generation, a lot probably does depend on where you grew up. Down in Appalachia (Virginia) we were more or less equidistant from Pittsburgh, Washington, DC, and Atlanta. If you followed any sports team it was probably the Redskins, or for me the Colts. Professional basketball was basically unknown where I grew up back in the days before cable sports.

It seems much easier to be a fan these days with multiple 24 hour a day channels showing nothing but sports coverage. And the commercialization of athletes puts their faces everywhere. I guess growing up today, especially in a market without a franchise, you can pretty much pick your team. While long term that might be a good thing for the league, I wonder if it might begin to erode the support of any single team by spreading the fans out.
  13. linwood

linwood All-Star

14. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Was born and raised in Detroit. Been an NBA and Piston fan since the late 60`s! Back in the Dave Bing and Bob Lanier days as a kid. I remember Cobo Hall, and games at the Silverdome.

I moved to the DC area in the mid 80`s, and brought all of my Detroit enthusiasm with me. It was rough at first, with the Redskins being dominant at that time and the Lions, well they were the Lions.

As D4E and Armygirl will tell you, these people around here go nuts over their Redskins! As the 80`s moved on the rise of the Pistons began and I was loving it!

I am a homer for sure. The Tigers are making me pay more attention to baseball this year and the Pistons will remain a very good team, but I tell people all the time if the Lions would do something Detroit would be delirious. And I get laughed at..........:ohwell:

Nothing wrong with dreaming.............
  15. detteam

detteam All-Star

Does my PF name make any sense to you? Been to all Detroit sporting venues...except Tiger Stadium for a Lion's game...but vividly remember listening on the radio driving down I-94 with my parents when Chuck Hughes died on the field. Joe Louis Arena makes Olympia seem prehistoric...imagine iron catwalk steps to get to the upper seating. Second row from the top of the Silverdome with "free" Piston tickets so far away you couldn't tell if the ball went thru the net.
  16. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

I can't imagine rooting for another team, ever. The exception is my own team being out of contention in the playoffs, in which we obviously have to pick a side.

When I was a kid I remember having Atlanta Braves and 49ers hats and jackets. I'd attribute this to soul-seeking in the sports world. When you are a kid you have a right to hop on the latest and greatest bandwagon. As an adult, I will always be behind Detroit, whether I live here or in Podunk, Idaho.
  17. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think Podunk, Idaho is where Darth Tater currently resides.
    :)
  18. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

LOL! Whatever Linwood!!!!

You're just jealous because you KNOW the Seattle Supersonics are soon to become the Podunk SuperSpuds. People here are very excited and we have added one entire extra day to our ANNUAL POTATO FESTIVAL of the fries. I'll send you pictures of the Tater Queen on her float if one of the farmers can borrow a camera from one of their big city relatives. I can't wait to boogie to the Tater Tot Mash.
  19. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I hope the Festival of the Fries isn't scheduled for early June. You never know when the Spuds will be ready to make the big leap.
  20. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Question for Roscoe or Other Moderator Who Knows: How come we can't see how everyone voted on this poll like all the other polls? I answered basketball junkie and I'm curious to see who else answered that. Thanks.