WHY CANT PISTONS TRADE UP TO GET FIRST ROUND PICK??

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by OLD SKOOL HQ, Jun 4, 2014.

1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

LOOK its obvious this team is two years away from playoffs, so cant we trade Josh smith, brandon jennings, greg monroe(if neccesary) KCP, etc...to move up in the draft...i'm having a bad feeling about NOT SELECTING adrien payne.......
  2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I reckon we could do something with Sacramento for the 8th(?) pick
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Of all the potential studs in this year's draft, you want to trade up to get Adrien Payne???????????? He is barely a first-rounder.
    S.J. and roscoe36 like this.
  4. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You can take Monroe out of the equation because the draft takes place prior to the FA period. Jennings contract is reasonable but I don't really see any teams wanting to give up a top 10-15 pick for him. Outside of that I'd prefer to keep Smith and KCP.
  5. The Panda

You can make an agreement that the team you are trading with will pick player X and in return you will sign and trade post draft for that player + flotsam.

There are very few teams who would actually trade their pick. Forget about the top 5, the players there are worth the pick. The Celtics have said that they want Aaron Gordon. The Lakers will probably take Vonleh and they don't want anything we have.

Outside of the top 10 there is virtually no chance of picking a stud. If we really wanted we could maybe get McBuckets/Stauskus/Harris. That means we have to trade with Sacramento, Charlotte or Philly. I think that the only Sactown and Philly would try to make anything happen, but they would require a good rotation vet as part of the deal - so who do we put in?

To be honest, it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to try and get a pick in this draft. The players, outside the top 5, are rotation guys mostly and there isn't a whole lot of star power. Nobody, and I mean nobody, has a two way game. Outside of S&T with Monroe (who I think we should let go anyway) there isn't anyone who I either want to get rid of (KCP/Drummond/Smith) or would draw any positive attention (Smith/Jennings/Jerebko/Singler/Bynum).

It makes a whole lot more sense for us to go all in on the Carmelo Anthony stakes. If we clear all of our cap holds (CV/Stuckey/Monroe) we can offer Carmelo a max contract in the weak east with an elite offensive and defensive coach (SVG), another star in their prime (Smith) and a huge up and coming talent (Drummond). KCP is already an elite defender and does enough on offense to remain serviceable. Jennings could be a half decent PG if he didn't think he needed to take over games all the time. I hate to agree with Old Skool on this one, but Carmelo would thrive on this team.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Melo wants to win.
    Laimbrane likes this.
  7. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

SVG is not the type of coach that Melo would want to play for, either.
  8. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

If we can't get into the top 5, is it worth it? We are already pretty young and adding a guy more years behind and giving up experience makes it even more so.

Drummond - young
    Harrelson - NBA young
    Monore - mid
    Smith - vet
    Mitchell - young
    CV - gone
    Datome - NBA young
    Jarebko - mid
    Singler - young
    KCP - young
    Stuckey - mid (possibly gone)
    Jennings - mid
    Billups - gone
    Bynum - vet
    Siva - young
    brofmfa and roscoe36 like this.
  9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Why do cap holds exist, and how does a team clear them?
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Based on what observation?? What round did we draft Dennis Rodman again??
  11. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Phoenix is rumored to want to trade one of their 3 first round picks. I saw that the 27th is up for grabs. Now, would you trade a future protected #1 for that pick? I doubt they would want players and Monroe may be worth too much for just that low pick. Payne may be available then.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  12. kpaav

To me Payne is a rich mans Maxiel. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. I do see a future in the NBA for him though.
  13. BillLaimbeer

The Pistons don't need another mid-level role player that you would find at #27. They have a roster full of them already. They need a couple of studs to lead this team out of the abyss. They already have one stud in Drummond. Now they need one on the offensive end. The only reason it would make sense to trade up for a 1st rounder would be to get a top 5 pick.
    S.J., The Panda, del and 2 others like this.
  14. kpaav

I agree 100%. Though it would be cool to have something to watch during the draft Pistons related.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  15. BillLaimbeer

I know. The draft will be boring without a first round pick. It will be interesting to see if SVG and Jack Browers make any moves this summer.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  16. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Jennings-KCP-Melo-Smith-Drummond would be a fun team to watch.
  17. BillLaimbeer

By fun, I'm assuming like if you had a lot of hair and you wanted to have it all pulled out.
    brofmfa, Mogilny, S.J. and 1 other person like this.
  18. The Panda

Cap holds are essentially there to make sure you have enough money to resign your players. You can clear them simply by renouncing the player.

There are different classes of cap holds. I have copied below an outline
    250%: The player is a Larry Bird free agent, coming off of a rookie scale contract, and the last year of his previous contract was lesser than the average salary.

200%: The player is a Larry Bird free agent, coming off of a rookie scale contract, and the last year of his previous contract was greater than the average salary.

190%: The player is a Larry Bird free agent, NOT coming off of a rookie scale contract, and the last year of his previous contract was lesser than the average salary.

150%: The player is a Larry Bird free agent, NOT coming off of a rookie scale contract, and the last year of his previous contract was greater than the average salary.

130%: The player is an Early Bird free agent.

120%: The player is a non-Bird free agent.

Min: The player's previous salary was a minimum salary contract, and therefore so is their cap hold. Note that if the player has one year of experience, the second year minimum is used, but if the player has more experience than that, the third year minimum is used instead, even if they're like a 28 year veteran. This is due to the league's rebate policy thing that sees all players with two or more years experience signed to a one year (or rest of the year) minimum salary contract are charged to their team's salary cap as being only third year players, with the league making up the balance between that and their actual minimum salary, so as to not deter teams from signing older players just because they cost more.

Max: If the player had used the correct one of the percentages used above, their contract would have exceeded the maximum salary; therefore the maximum salary is used instead. (source)

No way. That team has the potential to be awesome. Also, to be terrible.
    S.J., coynejeremy and roscoe36 like this.
  19. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I like the guy, but he's a career bench player. He has lung issues that affect his conditioning, and he has a fairly low defensive IQ for someone coming out of MSU that has the physical tools to be an elite shotblocker. He has really good shooting range, but his three-point shot is pretty slow and won't be as effective in the NBA. I would be ecstatic if he fell to the Pistons in the second as I think he would make a good stretch-4 off the bench and wouldn't need a ton of minutes to be successful, but he's never going to be a franchise guy and hence I wouldn't trade up for him.
    pass99 and kpaav like this.
  20. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor