Why Do We Turn In On and OFF at Will(Hot Or Cold)???

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Dec 8, 2006.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Okay, Low and Roscoe, this is a clean question, I know how you guys rib me for my choice of words, but no pun intended on this one.

Maybe someone out in PistonsForum land have a logical reason of why the Pistons play lousy at times and sometimes they play like a championship caliber, fundamentally sound team.

I know we have the story about how the Pistons get up for the 500 teams and choose to cruise with the lowly Trailblazers and Bobcats, however, there has to be much more to this. I am trying to find some kind of logic.

So I am going to have to put some of this on coaching and discipline. You must motivate your players in a way to take all teams seriously.

Did we have this issue with Carlisle and LB. We may have teetered on the edge with LB but it wasn't quite as obvious.

My philosophy is; this is a sign of a leader (Coach) who may have lost some respect and credibility. All good teams want to make their coach look good and in-turn make themselves look good.

Are the players listening to the coach.

Did anyone see the newest Terrell Owens controversy???...It appears that Bill Parcells was giving the players a positive pep talk on the win against the Giants, when reporters asked Terrell what he thought about Parcells talk with the players his response was, and I quote, "I don't remember what the coach said because at the time I was thinking about my upcoming birthday party".

So all that to say this, are the players listening, or are they tuning Flip out and flying by the seat of their pants, playing hard when they want to play hard.

I just have this sneaky suspicion that the players have lost faith and respect in Flip as a coach.

2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I think it takes a special coach to keep a team focused all the time. Let's face it. Any team on the right day can beat another team. It really is a crap shoot most of the time as to what team will show up on the court. This is the difference between being horrible and average...being good and great.

We don't have that special coach.

3. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Armygirl I started a thread with that very title last year, "Tuning out Flip"

I even brought it up again when Sheed openly criticized Flip`s plan of playing more zone during the preseason.

As long as the wins continue all is well, however, late in the season if the losing ways return/continue we will know if there is a "tuning out"

4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Seems to me the evil twin Pistons have been around since the RCola days - at least as long as I've been following them. I don't know where it comes from, but it pre-dates Flip.

5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Isn't this what we want ArmyG, the team to keep championship level play against the big boys and let the bench run against the weakies.
    [I know the bench aint running enough]

6. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

It's better than I thought it would be this year. After Sheed started %%%%%ing about the zone in training camp, I thought it very possible that we could have a Flip-watch going by now. The players for now seem to be playing for Flip, or at least, not publicly undermining him.
    That doesn't mean they have suddenly found respect for him or that they believe in his system, or that it will carry over to the playoffs. And it's probably not so much Flip carrying out his ``no more Mr Nice guy'' pledge than it is our guys realizing they're no longer the kings of the league.