1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Why is everyone so high on JMax?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Superstarov, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I know in "Joe We Trust", but...

As far as I can see, the only really good thing about this guy is that he is willing to be coached and work hard.

Is he an undersized PF or a slow SF?

The depth chart junkies around here seem to think he will see a decent amount of playing time. But I need to know what they think he is actually going to do with it.

Think about the guys who have played or do play the SF... Dr J, James Worthy, Larry Bird, Dominique, Grant Hill, or Stojakavic, Tracy McGrady, Shawn Marion, AK47, Carmelo, LBJ, Josh Howard, Lamar Odom...

Or the same at PF: Baylor, McHale, Karl Malone, Barkley, or Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Sheed, Dirk Nowitzski, Jermaine O'Neal, Chirs Bosh.

Where does this guy fit in? And how does he do it?

I'm not sounding the panic alarm here, but I'm just not seeing it.

Do people think he is the next coming of the "Big Nasty"?

Or is it another blown 1st round pick?

He is 2 inches shorter than Tayshaun and 35 Lbs heavier.

2. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Not all are. I am not.

The main reason is that undersized players have to expend more energy to keep up with their opponents and have no higher gear left for the really important games or the playoffs.

To me, it's like playing your stereo on high volume all the time, or driving your car at top speed. Nothing left for when you need it.

3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Who knows if the guy is any good. The guy hasn't had any meaningful minutes yet. But he seems to have a nose for scoring when he is in there. We don't have enough people with a scorer's mentality in there.

4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I've been wondering about this for a while too. There have been players who dominated at JMax's height at the position, from Dantley to Barkley. But they dominated by wearing you out in the post and then taking you outside and dropping jumpers, Barkley all the way out to the three point line. And by rebounding.

No question about the kid's heart. Nor how much fun it is to see him wind one up. But, he's not a good shooter and not a good rebounder, which is more distressing. I'm afraid he's reached the point where playing harder than most other guys on the court and being strong enough to bull people over isn't enough. And I'm doubting someone is going to take much more time trying to teach some fundamentals around blocking out, shooting form, etc. He's about three moves short of being able to play in this league for any significant number of minutes.

6. max

max All-Star

Who else do we have?

Guess that shows you how much things have changed in a year. Last year we were talking about a break out season for Darko. I doubt Dumars gets very many calls from other GM's inquiring about Maxiel, or even one?

7. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

He's a potential backup. That's about it.

I think some get excited because of his athletic ability and his aggression, but for all that he's never been a rebounder and never been a bigtime scorer (in college, I know he hasn't played much in the pros).

He's fun enough to watch, but he was a wasted pick from the word go given our depth at the time and his lack of potential.

8. max

max All-Star

He has Piston DNA

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Because he is the anti-Darko. He's a lower pick, considered a reach when he was taken, he's under-sized and plays with a lot of heart. Some folks like talented/gifted head cases. I like blue collar dudes who are overmatched. I can understand genetic limitations, but not lack of passion.

There is something right about everything being so wrong. The underdog.

If you look at the 2003 draft, it's not like we left many good players on the table after J-Max at #26.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2005.html

Time of course will prove this pick right or wrong but one thing is sure. It was much lower stakes than the 2003 #2 pick.

10. roscoe36

And just to clarify, it's unlikely he will ever become a starter but that doesn't mean I will pull for or cheer him on any less.

11. linwood

linwood All-Star

The most I have ever seen the guy play was in the NCAA tournament for Cincinnatti. Against Kentucky, JMax was the whole team. He scored, played great D, and grabbed some pretty important boards.

I don't think he is the next Magic or Dream, but he does play hard. He drives to the basket. He makes the effort, and I think that could be pretty big on a team that seemed to me to miss out on alot of effort plays during the playoffs.

I think the Big Nasty comparison could be a good one.

12. Hobbs

It's a little early to call for a lot of those guys taken after Max because they are so young (and there was an obvious choice on the board for the Pistons who is better than Max-- Ryan Gomes who a lot of Pistons fans wanted). Several of the high school kids and foreigners have a chance to be something in the league.

The problem, though, was that Max was viewed as, at best, a backup even when he was drafted and it was iffy if he would ever even be a solid backup. He was a no upside pick by a team with like 5 guys ahead of him already at his position. Pointless move.

13. Hobbs

Big Nasty led his team to the NCAA title and was a far superior scorer to Max in college. Corliss had (and has) all kinds of post moves. Max has athletic ability. Not really the same thing.

14. linwood

linwood All-Star

Maxiell has a couple of good post moves, and (at least in college) a very nice jumpshot from 15 feet out.

15. Hobbs

The only thing I've seen him do is catch the ball, turnaround, and shoot. I don't think of that as a post move.

If you remember how Corliss was in the post there is really no comparison. You could see him sizing up his opponent, making feints, and pulling out a series of movements that was a clearly defined move. He was an artist. Nothing like what Max does.

I don't really want to come off as ripping on Max, so I won't say much else here. He seems like a great guy to have on the team. I hope he succeeds.

16. roscoe36

My previous answer was personal.

I think generally, it can be said, "Who else is there to be high on?"

I'm not crazy about Amir Johnson, but Maxiell and Acker both seem like two characters that will be fun to cheer for in 5 minute bursts.

Totally OT, but Cheikh Samb is a pimp. Who cares if he is under 200 lbs? Manute Bol was 7'6" 200 lbs. and is the 2nd all-time leader in BPG, and 12th in total blocks. From what I have seen, Samb has a lot more rebounding and offensive upside than Manute Bol did.

17. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Because he's a bull around the rim. No one else on our team can finish with authority around the rim like he does. We need that interior presence on the offensive end. A guy that will make you think twice about going up for a blocked shot in fear of getting caught up in a highlight reel. Plus he's got a nice 15 foot J, and a good attitude about things.

If he can get down rebounding he'll be an impact player in this league. Maybe not a starter, but a very good bench player.

18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Because he gives this team somehing it hasn't had in a while a guy who will force himself to the rim and the foul line. Benches are better when they do things different from the starters. It causes the opponent to switch there methods.

19. max

max All-Star

Plus this is a make it or break it year for Maxiel. I am curious to see how he will respond and Flip seems serious about expanding the bench next season. He said he would play the younger guys in an attempt to improve depth even at the expense of early season wins.

And I am seeing the main young guys as Maxiel and Delfino.

20. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't see J-Max as a starter in this league. Never did.

I'd be happy with him giving us 8-10 solid minutes per game off the bench.

I like his aggressiveness and nose for the basket.

I don't like the fact that he's a black hole, not a great rebounder and is a bit undersized and overweight. But those things can all be worked on, as long as you have the passion, desire, right attitude and a nasty streak - all of which, I think he has.