Why is everyone so high on JMax?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Superstarov, Jul 22, 2006.

1. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

I was certainly seduced by his rim-attacking mentality. None of our bigs do that except Ben, who wasn't good at it. A guy that wants to go up and take the highest-percentage shot available is so refreshing. The summerleague highlights last year -- his compared to Darko's -- finally convinced me Darko wasn't going to make it.

Hopefully Max gets the message that rebouding will determine his minutes, and learns to attack the glass like he does the rim. I think he can be a valuable 6th man if he pans out 100% and also a nightmare setting picks. If he's just a 8th or 9th guy who comes in to disrupt and foul and throw his body around a bit, that's not so bad either.
  2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

you're right. i remember scoreliss going to the hole and trying to draw fouls while missing tons of hook shots. no comparison to jmax who can actually finish around the basket. the only thing they share is an ability to draw contact/fouls.
  3. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

Here are the pre-draft measurements for Max (and others). While his wingspan is huge, his standing reach is that of a 6'8" guy. Acker is actually almost more of a freak with his ws and reach.

http://www.insidehoops.com/chicago-camp-measurements.shtml

Maxiell's success will depend on his ability to master two or three dribble moves to get to the rim, ala Barkley. The round mound really did have good handles and that will be very important for JMax given where he is posting people on the floor.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I never understand the "Scoreless" comments. He was a 50%+ shooter most of his time in Detroit. That means he puts the ball in the hoop.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/willico02.html
  5. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

I'm with you on Corliss, Roscoe. He struggled a bit more under Larry Brown. But under the previous regime, he was our "go to" post presence in the fourth quarter - he secured many a victory with his points in the paint.
  6. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Corliss missed tons of layups in the playoffs the last two years he was here. He was getting slightly worse every year. That said, looks like we could have used him the past 2 years.
  7. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

Max is sort of the ? factor coming into the new year. If he has some what of a breakout than its all gravy for the Pistons. JMax needs to keep working on the agressive drive to the hoop like he did in the summer league.

I'm high on him due to the fact that this guy is confident, only works hard with little talk and complaining. he shows that if he gets 1 min on the floor he will make his presence felt, make some type of impact.

Jmax if he was 6'9 or taller he would be a lottery pick, but the guy has the work ethic to be the player the Pistons can depend on for future years.
  8. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

BTW,
    I've been clear I don't think JMax can play in this league, but I really hope I'm wrong. And I really hope Flip and Joe give him the chance to prove it, in real time. None of this garbage time. If we can't start developing rookies now, we are doomed,

More importantly than winning 60 games, even 50 games, is to find out what our younguns are capable of. We have 2 picks next year, Joe needs to know where we have to go. 41-41 gets us in the playoffs, and Delfino, JMax, and Amir got some burn, so be it. Time to find out who else can ball on this roster.
  9. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Yea, he was clearly headed downhill. He shot sub-40% combined in his last 2 playoff seasons with us, and it was mostly layups he was missing. It got so frustrating.
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Not as frustrating as guys settling for jumpers and not even going for the lay ups. So many times last year guys had lanes to get inside, but the settled for the pull up jumper.:ohwell:
  11. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Thats why I wanted David Lee, not a highlight reel