Why Mooch has to go!!!

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by TheeTFD, Sep 28, 2005.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

He lacks passion on the offensive side and he lacks passion on the defensive side. To beat the better coaches in this league you need to do something better than they do-it's called scheming. What a bunch of vanilla crap he allows out there.( Jauron and his nonblitzing)

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I agree. Mooch is a salesman, not a great coach. He hasn't proven to be

* innovative
    * a motivator
    * a sideline decision maker
    * a guru of "anything"

This guy is so overhyped, it's not funny.

If we lose next week and the effort is not there, this dude should be the first to go. No way any good coach can't use that embarassing loss and 2 weeks off to fire up their team. I know Cowher or Belichik would have them out for blood.

3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Mooch

I'm beginning to agree with you guys. Detroit fans seem to love feel-good stories surrounding coaches: Fomer World Series champ (Tram) returns to coach the Tigers; Upper Peninsula lad who starred as a QB at Northern Michigan returns to coach the Lions, etc. At the end of the day, you still gotta be able to coach. When it comes down to it, most if not all the greatest coaches this city has brought in didn't have area ties: Larry Brown, Sparky Anderson, Chuck Daly, Scotty Bowman. In other words, get people who can coach. Screw the feel-good crap.

4. G-man

G-man Starter

Re-threads not Retreads

So I guess you're saying no to bringing in Gary Moeller? :laugh:

5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Moeller

I actually liked him at UM. The guy had some 'nads when it came to play-calling, unlike the current stiff.

6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm going to explode!!

Mooch is all filler no meat. The guy talks a good talk and is a nice guy, but when it comes down to it, he's a pansy. The Lions have been rediculously ill prepared in all of their games since Mooch took over. Not to mention being outcoached in game.

Jauron is a useless lump of lard, his defensive "game plans" are completely ineffective. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BLITZ!! And here's a thought: HAVE YOUR DB'S ACTUALLY PLAY MAN TO MAN!! They give more freakin cushion than LazyBoy. And if it isn't too much to ask TRY AND MAKE A FEW TACKLES!!

Ted Tollner is like 1000 years old and so is the offence he's trying to run. NO MORE 3 YARD PASSES ON 3rd and 7! NO MORE DIVE PLAYS UP THE MIDDLE ON 3rd AND LONG!!

Anyway, I think you can see how I feel about the Lion's coaching staff. I think I'll stop now before I get an aneurysm. :mad2:

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Problem is...

Ok, so Mooch is fired. Millen hires a new coach. New face...same clown act. Our hopes are raised but after a couple years we call for the new coaches head.

Then after going through four more clown/coaches, Ford says..."oh, it's Millen". He fires him...or waits for him to die like Russ Thomas did. Then what? New GM...new face...same clown act. So now it's what? 2025? By then I'm probably dead...but you young guys still are hoping for a winner.

So then what? Ford prolly is dead by then. Is ownership still within the family? Yeppers. New Ford...New face (kind of)...same clown act.

Forget it guys. Find a new team to cheer for. The Lions will remain horrible until there is new ownership.

8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

God, I wish I could quit the Lions!

But I'm slowly understanding my dementia. I have a loyalty fixation that coupled with laziness won't allow me to drift to a winner. Check out this offensive set. You could use a "double ready" then shift to this set. a big hole between center and guard. Looks inviting to rush through, huh?
    No, bring a free TE around to blind side the rusher. It could divide the field in two.

................................................DB.............................DB

......................CB........OLB...................................................OLB.......CB
    ......................................DE......DT.......MLB..........DT......DE
    ..............................................................C
    .................WR.........TE....T....G.............................G.....T....TE..............WR
    .............................................................QB
    .............................................................RB
    Tater, don't bring up Russ Thomas that was the dark ages for the lions.
    Wayno Rules. As far as musical chairs at Head Coach - do it, the talent is there, Were is the leadership. Give them 5 games to show something likeable. Then bring in the next guy.

9. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Bo Knows...

Bo Schembecler did alright for the short time he was coaching the Lions.

Is he still alive?

10. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

i agree

The problems with the Lions start at the top (Ford). But since thats not something that we can help, the next best thing would be to get rid of Millen (cause he is a moron), then Mooch right along with him....

11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

The Org. makes a diff.

Bill Walsh is the genious of the 9ers org. His assistant coaches seem to do well after leaving San Fran. George Seifert won a Super Bowl with Walsh leftovers but fell on his face when he went to Carolina. Looks like Mooch will fall into this category.:ohwell:

12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

More Mooch Blunder

I was hoping for some kind of reverse package considering we have 3- 1st round picks at wide reciever. So he puts Eddie in at WR. Eddie is a fine return man. Why is he in at WR? You think the Bears noticed that? They snuffed the play for a loss!!!:doh:

13. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Mooch

I just don't get it. I watched every one of his college games and some road games. He stared in an aggressive offense that featured his deep passing ability. Mooch could chuck it with the best of um. Not only long but accurate too. It seemed like every game stat included two or more 50+ yard completion. When he was named coach I had great expectations for Joey.

Where has all of this conservative play come from. When does Ordinary Joe begin to blossom. Getting tired of the embarassment.

14. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Mooch

While I agree with you guy's that Mooch should be fired it will not happen. Old man Ford has too much money invested in Mooch and besides that Mooch is the best pitch man he has for Ford/Lincoln Mercury. Millen has been a failure and he got a 5 year extention. I would not be surprised if the old man gives Mooch a five year extention next year also. It is the blind leading the blind totally.:frusty:

15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Lions defeather Ravens

10-9,-05 Lions 35, Ravens 17. Solid win!. Joey not much help but we won anyway.
    ...I've called for Mooches head but when things go right I'll give him props. Aside from the Refs. making a bad review of a incomplete pass, the Raven coaches lost this game. Their team made the gross errors. Like letting Bryson pop a 70 yd. run, bad defensive gamble! I didn't know Bryson could do that. But after 3 years I guess he was due.:nod:
    RDub had a big return that lead to points.:whoo:

16. Darth Tater

I'll give Mooch some of the credit that the Lions won after the Bucs game and showed real toughness.

But I still think the play calling is far too conservative. I read O'haras column today about how the Lions kicked off from the BALTIMORE 40 and booted it into the endzone rather than attempt an onside kick which only had a small likelihood of backfiring.

Mooch is a nice man and I'm rooting for him, but I have to judge him on his overall record before giving him too many props. The Lions basically took what was handed to them (shoved down their throats even, lol) and for once did not "outstupid" their opponents. I don't know how much of that was due to Mooch.

17. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I was wonder why they did not onside kick it or just poochkick it up in the air. Why kick it thru the uprights??? Stupid.. Stupid ..Stupid :doh:

We won basically on our defense causing turnovers. It was nothing special that we did as a team. Harrington still stinking up the place.

18. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Our offense is depressing. Outside of Joey's drive in Tampa where we got robbed, I can't think of anytime we appeared to be clicking the way we should have. ..oh, and I'm not impressed by Mr. Jones the slightest. I'm hoping he is just a slow starter, otherwise I might have to side with Micro with the overrated discussion.

19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Joey has a tiny playbook

How often do you kickoff from there? I doubt anyone expects or prepares for that. I didn't even think of "on sides" kick. If it goes out of bounds do you still get a retry? Or would it go to the 40?
    ...Until Joey can read a Dee I think they should keep the reigns tight.
    As for Mr. Jones, he was banging heads all day, he got a minor concussion trying to bang it in from the one. Did you see him flick that LB to the ground! Me likey:)

20. Darth Tater

I think Jones is tough and he wants to win. I think he'll be fine IF they just give him a little help.