Why some of us wonder about Chauncey

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LanierFan, Jul 27, 2006.

1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

This is a quote courtesy of his hometown reporter, Marc Spears, in the Denver Post:

Maybe that just came out wrong, but how many of the stars in USA Basketball really "look up" to Chauncey? Not the first time he's thrown out that mixed egotistical / humble message. I think he's going to LOVE being courted by other teams after this season, and my suspicion is that he's going to leave.
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Sounds honest, he has a ring. Once he got a team it only took him 2 seasons to get the ring.
    Maybe his hat size did grow a 1/4th of an inch. Kinda like Pinnockeyo? but only cranium size.
  3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Mr. Big ego. Sheesh. :humble:

I came across the following last year:

"On the night of November 9, 1997, Doe went to a comedy club in Boston, Massachusetts, where she socialized with Walker, Irvin, and Smith, as well as two of Walker's teammates--Ronald Mercer and Chauncey Billups--whom Doe had not previously met. As the group prepared to leave the club, Irvin told Doe that Walker wanted her to visit him at his home. Walker and Smith left the club in one car while Billups drove Doe, Irvin and Mercer in another car. When Billups' car arrived at Walker's home, Doe was directed to Irvin's bedroom. There, all three men began to subject Doe to a series of sexual acts, including sexual intercourse, without her consent and despite her attempted resistance. At one point during this assault, Walker entered Irvin's bedroom, and Irvin asked Walker "Don't you want some?" but Walker declined and left".

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/getcase.pl?court=1st&navby=case&no=991095
  4. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I have my doubts about Chauncey's character at times, on the court.

And I do think he is playing with a bit of an ego problem.

I wouldn't have aproblem if he left, but I hope we get something back. I'd like to see a trade, but I don't know if that's possible.
  5. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i think guys do look up to chauncey. he's a finals mvp. he walks around with a big ring. he has a beautiful wife. he's a winner. he's a leader.

darth. that's some crap you just posted. that's the story of any of the thousands of nba skanks that want some money after it all goes down. these players are targets to those type of women ask kobe. i'm not an advocate of raping women. i just think these cases where a woman meets four basketball stars and goes back to the house with them are suspect. i don't believe the woman at all.

i wouldn't even go back to antoine walkers house. i'm not so sure about him especially the way he does that shake thing.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Tater's post is a trap don't go there.
  7. Darth Tater

The "crap" I posted was directly from the U.S. 1st Circuit Court of Appeals.

I didn't give my opinion on the matter and don't plan to do so. Read the title of the thread. "Why some of us wonder about Chauncey."

However, you are a fool if you believe that one side or the other is always an innocent party without considering the facts of the particular case.

Then again, Dorko is always in the right, isn't he?
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Switching to ignore.
  9. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

then why post it?? it was best left unposted.

nobody truly knows the facts except the people involved. but i know that in certain situations 1 side is more credible than the other. all facts are not created equal.
  10. Darth Tater

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:
  11. Darth Tater

Yeah, right. You'll read it. Despite not being wound to tight, you won't be able to stop yourself.

Attempt to make an intelligent argument if you want to state your opinion. Interesting how this triggered you.
  12. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

Wow, I'm confused as to why someone would get so offended by an article that was posted. Two people at that.

I thought the article was interesting, whether you believe one side or the other it doesnt matter.
  13. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

June 2006, SLAM Magazine, CBILLZ GOT SKILLZ, p.64-68

Chauncey Billups was on the cover of this issue.
    Headline: CHAUNCEY4MVP? NO DOUBT

Excerpts (sorry could not find link for article). I'm a subscriber.

"I think we got the best team in the League, and I'm the catalyst," Chauncey says. "I make that 600 Benz go, I really do. And I'm not a self-promoter or nothing but it is what it is. I think Steve Nash changed the face of that award as far as who can get it or who can't get it. I think Nash is having just as good a year this year as he was having last year, and there are some other guys as well, so I'm not the only one, but I think I am deserving. If Nash won it last year for what he did, then I can win it this year for what I'm doing."

last graph of article

"I can do everything," CB says. "I know the game, I know different things people don't pay attention to. There are a couple of guys who can score better than me, who can pass better than me, do this better than me. But all around, I don't think there is anybody who can do all the stuff I can do."

My favorite line is "I make that 600 Benz go, I really do."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Now the entire article was about his possible MVP status, so you have to place it in that context. Still, Nash is such a gracious MVP, this stuff is kind of hard to take. And I don't like him taking the credit for Rip, Sheed, Big Ben, and Tay. He doesn't mention any of them even once. All in all the article leaves the impression of someone who is way too big-headed.:(
  14. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

I've heard some things about Billups through the grapevine. Even though this is the internet and it's anonymous and lacks credibility, I still don't really think it's my business to spread rumors. So I will leave this vague.

What I really want to know is, if Chauncey really is a prick, what does that change for us and our opinion of him as our team's leader?
  15. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Is he our team leader? I was kind of hoping Sheed would move into that role. And wasn't Big Ben the team leader before that? I think Chauncey thinks he's the team leader, but I don't get the vibe that the other players take his lead. It's hard to know locker room chemistry though, with all the posturing that happens in media interviews. I always thought one of the strengths of our Pistons was that there wasn't one clear leader. That they are an ensemble team.

Thing is Chauncey could be big-headed and arrogant and still be a good for leader for winning I guess. But not if he is whining about being tired in the playoffs. That is just lame, Mr. 600 Benz.
  16. billupsboi

billupsboi Second Round Draft Pick

i dont think he meant it in that way, cause Chauncey gives off alot of vibes but cocky aint one of them, during all of his interviews after many great games he was still down to earth so i dont think he meant it like that...
  17. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good point. Its hard to get the full context or meaning behind some of these quotes. "Delfinogate" is a perfect example.

However, in every interview I've seen of him - including right after hitting game winning shots, etc. - he's been very professional and humble. In an interview with Stephen A. Smith early last season, he was asked point blank about the MVP award. I thought he handled it well without being too vanilla.

CB seems very well liked and respected by current and former players. I think you have to have a certain amount of ego/cockiness to excel at that level. Especially at the PG position.

I'm not going
  18. max

max All-Star

I could have lived the rest of my Piston fan life in ignorant bliss without ever knowing about that case.

Looked it up but I am not going to post the link.

Appatently She was dating Antoine Walker and the rest of the players ( incl. Billups ) had some kind of encounter with her. Can't find anything on what happened to Billups legally. The Doe stands for Jane Doe, plantiffs name not disclosed.

Who knows?

Billups the player? If you want good players then you have to compete with other teams for them in this talent starved league of ours.
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Was that CB's first year in the NBA? I think he got caught up with some bad cats.
  20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Probably. Yall need to losen up because that was when Chauncey just got in the league. Almost 10 years have gone by since than.