Why some of us wonder about Chauncey

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LanierFan, Jul 27, 2006.

1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

In fairness, no charges were ever brought and the case was settled out of court. Which leaves as much doubt about the strength of the case and the motives of the woman as it does about the players' conduct.

2. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

When Chauncey first got drafted he told his mother to quit her job. He then bought her cars, gifts and even had a replica of the 2004 championship ring made for her. He is a good teammate , good father , good son, good brother, good husband, and "the mayor" is exremely well liked by his peers. He has many good friends on other teams such as A.I. and K.G. Starbury even cried on his shoulder early this season about L. B. He was gracious in defeat and gracious when he won the ship. So I think Chauncy is a great athelete and a very good person. Quit worrying about SMOOTH and worry about the fact that you may be a gossiping busybody.

3. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Damn:nod:

4. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Easybuckets, would you care to repeat that?

Because you are not in a position to tell me or anyone else here what to do -- least of all on a forum where gossip is the whole point.

Billups said what he said in a public newspaper, to his pet hometown reporter. He also began talking about himself as MVP last year, not long before his play took a downturn. Again, in public news media. As for the charges brought against him, I didn't raise them but they are part of the public record.

If that disturbs your hero worship, tough. (Especially since the whole "So-and-so cried on his shoulder" routine is just as much third-hand gossip as anything else here, except you're the one shoveling it out.) Chauncey is a player who has a pattern of complacency, and when he gets too full of himself the team suffers for it.

That's why SOME of us, as indicated in the title, do wonder. If you don't, make your point and stop there.

5. easybuckets

When sex allegations are brought up from 1997...and no charges were ever filed, and it doesn't really apply to basketball so I think its definitely malicious gossip...They have magazines in the supermarket for stuff like that.....C. B. is not a ball hog, his assist to turnover ratio is great, he is cool under pressure, he is a gentleman on the court. So when he finally got to be an allstar after 8 or 9 years then it might have gone to his head a little. So What!. I never said he was a saint. If he used poor judgement about sex in 1997 I can forgive him.... And I do believe Chauncy that Stephon Marbury was calling him about coach Brown. Why would anyone bother to lie about something like that. And C. B. got along with Brown, which couldn't have been too easy. And Chauncy didn't lose in the playoffs by himself. I don't think Ben leveled with Joe about his plans and just because he played hard he is not the second coming. He acted all meek and mild and the rumor is that he asked for 20mill. Now that is really crazy. Thats why I don't wonder about Chauncy. I do however wonder about Ben.

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Magazines in the supermarket and court reports are two entirely different things. If you don't understand what gossip really is, I suggest you look it up.

Are you saying that a person raping someone is "poor judgment"? Sorry...not using a condom is probably poor judgment. Waking up next to a 370 lb. woman with a beard after a drunken binge is poor judgment. Conversely, non-consensual sexual intercourse is criminal. It is NOT merely poor judgment. It is criminal regardless of your apparent low opinion of women and that fact that you would forgive him for it if he did do it. I doubt most rape victims are so forgiving...even after 10 years.

Again, do not twist this or misunderstand this to say that I believe or that I am saying that Chauncey was guilty or is not a good person. I was merely sharing information from a most credible source. If you can't handle it, don't read it. It's your choice.

I am however stating that you are obviously opinionated, blinded by your hero worship, and...blissfully ignorant.

7. max

max All-Star

Don't underestimate the power of blissfull ignorance. This is why I never go to player events, pictures, etc... that are offered to season tick holders. I don't want to find out if someone is a butt head.

I like my relationship with the players. They play, I watch, thats about it. Everyone goes home happy in the end.

8. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Maybe this thread should have been titled wondering about the entire Piston team!

Has success spoiled this bunch? Did complacency rasie it`s ugly head after 2 straight Finals appearances? Our goals and expectations for this franchise is so high that we find oursleves questioning these same players that could do no wrong just a couple of years ago.

However, I too wonder about CB, Tay, Dyess, Sheed, (not Ben anymore, he`s gone) and Rip.

I wondered why when Tay`s game went south during the second half of the season he said he wasn`t getting enough touches on offense.

I wondered why a seasoned veteran (Dyess) that was so hungry for a title, lost his way when a journeyman PG got traded.

I wondered why Sheed refused to use his post skills and longrange game to wreak havoc on opposing PF.

I wondered why Rip`s J seemed to dissapear at times when the Offense really needed it, and for him to lose his temper at the wrong time during a game.

And last but not least, I wondered how a Finals MVP can`t finish a fast break to save his life, and would settle for a 3 pointer when he knows i`ts not going to go in. For crying out loud he said he was tired after the season, I guess that`s why he settled for all those 3`s.

Oh, I almost forgot, I wonder why in the hell is Flip coaching this team...

I bet Joe D is wondering, when should I fire Flip, he is approaching his 2nd year!!!!!!

9. Darth Tater

Max, the difference is that you can admit it. I can respect that. It's your choice to not want to know.

On the other hand, to get upset because somebody posts a court opinion is ludicrous.

10. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i don't wonder about chauncey

11. max

max All-Star

What I don't want to wonder about is how much I can hold it against him if no charges were ever filed.

Now if he is a criminal rapist then thats a different deal altogether. Does Billups have a criminal record? Is he a registered sex offender?

Or did he simply settle to avoid the publicity, took the easy way out even though he may not have done anything except be there?

12. easybuckets

A complaint filed against a defendent is not proof of wrongdoing or proof of guilt. Plenty of complaints are filed against persons everyday that do not ever result in prosecution. For example the Duke case. Also this year charges of sexual assualt were filed against both Kwame Brown and Damon Jones. And how about Kobe. In the United states a person is considered innocent until proven guilty. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. Apparently the court believed that there was not enough evidence to continue the court case. Thats good enough for me.

13. Darth Tater

Did anyone say otherwise?

14. easybuckets

How about Wilt the stilt? . He claims he had sex with over 2000 women during his NBA career. How did he ever have the time or energy to play ball? I find it hard to believe that that many women found him attractive. But fame and money attract some really flakey people.

15. FORTHELUVOFSMOOTH

FORTHELUVOFSMOOTH First Round Draft Pick

This is my first post and when I read some of the post I just had to say something. I've had the previlage of meeting him and he's not that way at all. He's a really great guy. With a good head on his shoulders. Why when someone is doing pretty well we have to knock them down? Didn't you guys read his blog from USA Training Camp some of the things he said were very insightful. Like I said he's a great guy he has no ego, not one bit cocky or self-absorbed just a very cool person.

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

It's a hater thread.
    And I'm taking names.

17. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Just a terrible thread.....someone needs to take names.

18. Darth Tater

I'll take the names. But for what purpose? I have a good idea what heading to use.

Lemme see. Here are some names. Can I use some monkeys I am all too familiar with?

(1) See no evil

(2) Hear no evil

(3) Speak no evil

19. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

"Taking names"? Am I supposed to be afraid, TFD? Of what, you? Put me on your list twice, then pat yourself on the back.

Old easybuckets continues his persecution tour, somehow confusing the original issue of Chauncey's conceit with a rape claim that other people dragged in (not me). Then he invokes Wilt Chamberlain for some mysterious reason, but hasn't enough knowledge to even quote the correct number of women the guy supposedly slept with. (Add a zero to your total, pal.)

If you don't "wonder about Chauncey," fine. I'm not here to say you're wrong. But many people who love the Pistons as much as you do or more have noticed that:

- the newspaper quotes shrugging off an uninspired loss as no big deal usually come from Chauncey;

- our team's history of "pacing itself" to steal games at the end is at least in part due to the guy who controls the ball and believes he can always sink a big shot at the end;

- his MVP talk (his, not someone else's) coincided with a drop in play last season; and

- MVPs don't slow the team to a standstill in the playoffs and get outplayed by Lindsey Hunter, only to complain later about being "tired."

Nothing there is new to discussions in this forum, if your memory actually extends back to the past six months. So yes, I wonder about Chauncey. I wonder if it's worth what it's going to cost to keep him, and it will cost a lot -- close to what Ben got. That doesn't diminish the shots he's made, the games he's won, the championship he helped bring us. I'm not saying he's a bum. I just wonder if he has the right attitude to keep this team moving forward, instead of dwelling on 2004.

Clear? Probably not. So call me a hater, because it's a badge of honor when it comes from fools.

20. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

Chauncey was 5th in MVP voting (he was closer to 2nd than 6th, btw-- he got a lot of votes). That's miraculous considering it was just him talking about him being an MVP candidate.