Why some of us wonder about Chauncey

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LanierFan, Jul 27, 2006.

1. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

No one is trying to tell anyone what opinion to have about Chauncey. After all this is a free country. But just to set the record straight. I am not a hero worshipper. I have two children older than the Pistons. I have a bachelors degree and an MBA. I worked with a prosecutors office for over ten years. I have worked as social worker. I worked as a stockbroker for over 20 years for one of the largest firms. So please don't classify those who have a different opinions than your's as fools. But I really hope that we keep C B and I think he is a really nice kid. I am proud of Pistons and feel that they are a cut above most teams in regard to sportsmanship, unselfishness on and off the court, getting along with teammates, supporting each other, playing through injuries without making excuses, and they are pretty good ballers on top of all that. Give the guys credit where credit is due. And I have a lot of respect for the double D's Joe and Bill. And don't assume that i am a He.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The one thing that consistently bothers me about Chauncey is that it was all "I am the best player on the best team", and then when they lost, "We didn't play well".

Which is it? Are you going to take on the pressure that Kobe, LeBron et al feel, or when the going gets rough, hide behind the skirt of "team failure" and "exhaustion"?

That tired talk from him really irks me. He's passing the buck to his coach, his GM, his teammates. Coach didn't manage my minutes right, Joe didn't get me a good backup, my teammates aren't good enough to back me up so I have to play until I am too tired.

It's rubbish and nonsense. It's also not up to par with the "Detroit Standard" of teamwork, goodliness and sacrifice that we have irrationally come to expect.

Do I wonder? Nah, I know. He's Sam "I am" Cassell's protege. All talk.
    Please remove the mystery. I'd hate to see people referring to you as "it".
  3. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Not as bad as Sam I am. Sam recently complained that he and the rest of the NBA are underpaid. NOT HARDLY.
  4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Now since I thought this thread was a trap to begin with, I'll end it.
    Are you or anyone else insinuating Bup-Bup had something to do with the rectal bruising? Was evidence taken from a lubricant container?
    Walker sent her to Irvins' room and she went with 3 guys! Then renigged.
  5. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

What does this have to do with billups as a baskeball player?
  6. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Please. please don`t take this the wrong way, but I know idiots with bachelors degrees, and MBA`s.............Social workers who are nuts, stockbrokers who were not qualified to to do what they did and people who worked in prosecutors offices that were soon prosecuted for a crime.

Seriously!!!!
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

For me nothing. For others, maybe he can't be a good leader.
  8. FORTHELUVOFSMOOTH

FORTHELUVOFSMOOTH First Round Draft Pick

This whole post is a little stupid to me because everyone knows that he's a great person like I said. I really respect how he busted his ass to get where he's at. And for that MVP talk what the hell was he suppose to say. As for him being tired maybe just maybe that was a cop out. Maybe he took upon himself to say that. If it's true so what the man was tired. I respect him for saying so;it's the truth at least. But I guess it's good for him to receive this kind of criticism that means you're actually a FACTOR!!!
  9. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I think you can credit the national media hype machine with some of that high vote. They create their own buzz, and they repeat it until they are all true believers. The shiny new story was Chauncey's MVP potential. Also, we were at the high point of Flip's new offense and the media wonder at our transformation from defensive powerhouse to offensive power. Chauncey's numbers reflected that change. He was the new point guard, instead of Larry Brown being the point guard. And he was looking pretty impressive in the new scenario. But MVP of the League?

What I always objected to was singling him out, because I so much see that starting five as a winning unit, and Chauncey to me doesn't stand out more than the other guys as an MVP. If you take Nash out, forget Phoenix. If you take Kobe out, forget the Lakers. If you take LeBron out, forget the Cavs, if you take Chauncey out....mmmmm...not so much. You still have RIP, Tay, Sheed and Big Ben. I really think the Chauncey for MVP was a flawed concept from the start.

P.S. There is nothing wrong with this thread, except for some of the reactiveness to the posting of the info about a court case. Can we just keep it on basketball? Otherwise, Roscoe is going to do a slam dunk on this thread like real soon.
  10. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

I think you underestimate Chauncey's impact on Detroit.

I believe Flip and Joe said last year, when trying to explain why they got rid of their backup point guard that was capable of starting, that if Chauncey got hurt it wouldn't matter who the backup was because the playoff run would be over. It's even more frightening this year because we don't have anyone who can come close to running an offense besides Chauncey.

And the "explain away the MVP votes as media conspiracy" was classic. It wasn't the high assist numbers with the low turnovers, it wasn't the clutch play, it wasn't the scoring, it was the writers see, yeah, that's it.
  11. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Thanks Darth for posting the article on Chauncey's exploits.

Chauncey does have a super inflated ego which I witnessed this season. I think he was pretty humble when he first came to Detroit especially after moonlighting around the league for 6 years.

If he is playing for the pistons this season based on greed instead of need, he is good as gone.

Really didn't care much for his comments on being tired and playing too many minutes.
  12. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

MVP is voted on by the media. Sportswriters and sports analysts are vulnerable to their own hype and the latest "buzz" athlete. Their business is to create stories and run with them. I'm not saying Chauncey shouldn't have been in the spotlight, but I don't think he's as good as he was talked up to be, and I don't think he's as good as he thinks he is. He's absolutely no Steve Nash, to whom he repeatedly compared himself in the SLAM magazine article I posted earlier in this thread.
    As far as Joe's comment last year about a possible Chauncey injury, I firmly believe he would have said the same thing about any other of the starting five. If Joe said that he was just spinning that Arroyo trade for fans and the press. And as it turned out, both Rip and Sheed were injured in the playoffs and we were very negatively impacted. Contrary to what Chauncey might believe, Chauncey is not the engine that makes this team run.
    You are probably right. When I look at my ESPN Fast Break player lists, Chauncey is in the Top 5 of point guards, so I see that he is highly esteemed and will have many suitors. Here I will admit to a personal bias. I just don't like combo guards shooting from the 3-pt line early in the shot clock, no matter how clutch they are.I'd like to see the point guard passing into the post, initiating more and quicker ball movement, and running the ball up the court, not to mention finishing on a fast break. This is the premise from which all my Chauncey arguments flow.

Hobbs, I think we should agree to disagree on Chauncey.:nod: There are presently four Chauncey threads and you and I could soon be arguing in all four of them!:laugh: :fencing::)
  13. detteam

detteam All-Star

I avoided this thread like the plague since it started, but couldn't help myself...it sucked me in (reference Pluto/blackholes in the the green room). ;)

After what happened with Ben and given current NBA salary proclivities (I'm not gonna research whether they are the biggest salaries in all of pro-sports per capita...just a guess)...there is no doubt in my mind that CB is 'loooong gone!' next year.

Tater...thanks for retro CB legal insight...there's definite character issues to be found there. Kinda sounds like the NBA 'good ole boys' club.

Buckets...from what I've read/remember your 2000+ number for Wilt is off by a decimal point. :P