Why The Pistons' Legacy Has Been Robbed

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by indiefan23, Apr 6, 2009.

1. indiefan23

indiefan23 First Round Draft Pick

Hey all,

I wrote this article all about deeeetroit basketball a while ago and it got some pretty good responses. Took me a while to get on here but I thought you guys might like to give it a read. Its a detailed analysis of the rule changes the NBA made and the results it will have on the perceptions of the 90's era team. I'm pretty sure any Pistons (or basketball) fan would like it. If you do and have a few seconds you can shoot me a few diggs, post a comment or check out some of the other columns. Hope you like it!

Full Court Pest: Why The Pistons Have Been Robbed
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Welcome indie. Happy to see you made it over. Hope you'll stick around.
  3. indiefan23

Hey, thanks... I'm not specifically a massive Pistons fan but as my article does kinda indicate I admired how amazing that team was. I like all Larry Brown teams honestly.
  4. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Great article indie! Good to be reminded of how dominating that team was (and could have continued to be, were it not for the rule changes you list and analyze). I don't agree that the changes have improved the game because for me the excitement comes in the clash of an unrestrained great team defense clashing with unrestrained great offensive players. now, sure, there's more scoring and more spectacular offensive plays, and that is fun to watch, but for me not as fun to watch as a great defense locking down (or, equally, even when against the pistons, a great offensive player still finding a way to get it done against a great defense). but still, great post. welcome!
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Would hockey be more fun to watch if there were no goalies? Of course not.

Stern's problem was that we were the only basketball team with a goalie. (Also, notice the stoned Cliff and the future worst coach in history acting as witnesses.)

[​IMG]
  6. max

max All-Star

Good article.

Whats ironic is that the NBA did not become popular until teams started playing defense. The 70's had all the scoring you could want but hardly anyone watched it.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Soccer is the most popular sport in the World and 0-0 ties are a regular occurance.

So, maybe gross points isn't so highly correlated with fan enjoyment.
  8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Great article Indie.

You'd think anyone who's a fan of the sport would appreciate a great defensive effort much more than Kobyane James getting 3 pts for every layup in the 4th quarter of any given game.
  9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I just had to GREEN OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. indiefan23

Yea, you know, I agree with you there honestly. That Pistons team played defense that was 'entertaining' as hell to watch. I was more thinking about the Spurs style defense. They play great too but they generally slow the game down a whole lot, beat up the other team a la a Bruce Bowen drop kick and dirty play, flop a la ginobli (whom I love, honestly) and beat you with a game that can get pretty ugly. The Spurs didn't lock you down, they just played methodically and slow to to weaken the other team's offense.

The Pistons however... they'd dig in and let you know, by the way, the rest of this quarter, we aren't going to let you score. Think you can, try it. And then you were done scoring for the quarter based on the Piston's pure effort. No sleazy tricks just athletic effort on every play working as a unit in a defensive system. I like watching the Celtics for the same reason, and ironically enough, the Warriors when they beat Dallas. Has anyone come close to those three teams defensively this decade? I don't think so.
  11. indiefan23

Heh, well, hockey has it's own defensive problem. Teams with less talent (eg: Vancouver) would get a one goal advantage and then ruin the rest of the game with the New Jersey neutral zone trap to win because playing that way, no one can score at all. Thats boring as paint drying.

Heh, I have another article bashing Curry's job this season. I didn't want to flood the forum with my posts 'n was gonna throw it on later maybe, but if you want to check it out heres the link. I think its a different take.

Full Court Pest: Could Iverson/Pistons Dilema Have Been Fixed?
  12. indiefan23

Honestly, I think the only thing that creates fan appreciation is competitiveness. How elite your talent is is really secondary to if two teams are closely matched. People make a big deal out of talent and starts but college is much more exciting then the NBA with a massively watered down talent base due to all the teams and the fact they're all kids. When its not obvious who's going to win a series is when its good... plain and simple.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That AI article suggests something that we suggested here a long time ago. The Pistons had perfect players to replicate the dynamic on that old Sixers team. Amir, Max, Afflalo, and Kwame are all effort players with defensive capabilities. These guys would have been OK with setting screens for AI and chasing his misses down.

The whole thing fell apart because the message was delivered as "you are going to the bench". It was like telling him that he failed. No need to have done that.
  14. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

Excellent article Indie, and welcome to the forum!
  15. indiefan23

Yep, I totally agree. It really wasn't what they did but how they did it. I mean, I've seen plenty of teams quit on their coaches/GMs but rarely coaches quit on their teams when they really are capable of winning at least 50 games.
  16. indiefan23

Hey, thanks. If you like my stuff you should subscribe to my blog... only post every week or so so I won't be spamming u. ;)

lates!