Will Billups playoff performance affect his new contract negotiations??

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, May 28, 2007.

?

Will CB`s playoff performance affect his max contract negotiations?

1. No. CB has already established himself as max contract worthy.

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. Yes indeed. He is proving he is not worth max money.

15 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Not sure.

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

We all know CB is stinking it up in the Cavs series, however he played very well against the Bulls and the Magic.

If he continues to struggle in the ECF, advance to the Finals, in spite of his poor play, will it influence some GM`s to think about offering him max money?

I say yes.

2. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Absolutely. A max contract player should be someone capable of making positive things happen for himself or the team when things are not going as planned. You gotta to be a player who can pull a rabbit out of a hat. CB keeps giving the same interviews after every game i.e. we know what we gotta do, I need to play better etc., but the results speak for themselves. He has got to step it up for the rest of the playoffs, if he can't shoot he can always limit the TO's, get to the charity stripe and dish out to his team mates.

3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

C-Bill has a recent history of performing badly against the Cadavers.

I think he shot about 35% against them during this past regular season and did not do particularly well in last year's playoffs against them.

Every starting player has teams that they do better against and teams that they do worse against. The reasons are many, from player personnel to coaches to karma?.

In any case it appears that the Pistons are going to have to figure out how to win this series without C-Bill lighting it. Of course one never knows about these things.

:hoops:

4. linwood

linwood All-Star

If the Pistons get past the Cavs, and BupBup is the finals MVP against the Spurs or Jazz, then he gets his max contract... otherwise, no.

5. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It should. He is playing terrible. If he and rip were playing just average, the pistons would be 3 and 0.

6. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

In contract negotiations, it's awfully tough to forget about the recent past so, yes, it affects it.

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Not really. I believe the difference will be negligible.

There aren't too many available point guards with his impressive resume. If he goes on to win another championship, then yes, I suppose it would give him more bargaining power, but I believe he's already shown that he is a clutch performer in most circumstances.

So in my opinion, it may affect it slightly, but he's going to get paid either way.

8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Some goober who thinks they're just 1 piece from contending will throw money at billups...if only to make joe pay max dollars to keep him. I think even if a few GM's lower billups' value, there are enough guys who will still toss money out there. It really only takes one. What I am interested in is if Joe D is lowering Billups value in his mind.

9. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

C-note has gotten on my bad side. The only time he takes risks are at the end of the game. He's going to be even slower by next year. If we don't win the 'ship, we need to rebuild. Rip and Chauncey are close. If one goes, so does the other-- odds are, 'Sheed'll go too if Chauncey doesn't resign.

10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I just don't feel easy about Giving Billups his contract that he has coming due. First off it won't be a max deal that would mean 5 years and about $85 mill (not a chance in hell); but he's got to make more than Rip this season. He's actually DUE a 5 year deal that starts at $12 mill/year. As guys get older they're more injury prone, a 35 year old Billups on the books would make me queezy......Boston has a greater need for a PG than the 5th pick, so tell me if this makes sense. Billups & our 15th pick for Ratliffs expiring contract and the 5th pick (Noah). Two reasons for this deal (1) Don't have a huge deal on the books (2) keep Noah out of Chicago, his style fits too well with their style of play. We still have 1st rd pick left over, solid veterans in Sheed, Rip, Tay, and Dyess. A good youth base in Max, AJ, Acker, Delfino, and Noah. We could try and move Nazr for a PG, Draft a PG, spend the MLE on a PG and we still have Flip Murray who could possibly be the next Billups (it's a long shot, but what if Flip is that next player that Joe found with something to prove if given the time on the court?????). I mean Billups would actually have to agree to the move, but........wwho knows.

11. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I concur.

Regardless of whether we win or not, it is time to start to rebuild. Right now we are the second oldest team in the league. We have some young talent that can play and next year would be a good time to give them more than 10 minutes a game.

I think that Joe's 1st draft pick this year may give us a hint on what direction he and Wilson are planning to take this coming summer.

We may also be able to steal one at #27.

It would not surprise me to see Joe trade up this year. Our guys could help a team like Chicago and we know that Chicago likes are players. They have a #9. I wouldn't mind seeing us trade Sheed and our #27 for their #9.

:hoops:

12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Dude you're kidding right.......Why not just give them the East. Wallace x2 with Thomas and the Baby Bulls. Yeah RIGHT!!!! We don't necessarily have to forfeit the Central Division to rebuild.

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

To answer the original question of the thread,
    Not with the stupid GMs out there, and frequently the dumbest GMs are the ones with the most needy teams and the most cap room.

Folks think Joe screwed up with Darko either drafting, handling or trading. How big of a goof is Otis Smith who used a lottery pick on a player (Fran Vasquez) whose girlfriend told him to play in Spain instead?

You also gotta watch out for dummies like Jordache in Charlotte.

14. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

No way that happens.. sheed wont go in the east if hes traded.. and really how can you justify trading our most clutch player in this years playoffs? hes been a beast and this is his reward ehh? I think if he wasnt hurt last year we beat the heat.

15. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

There will be no max contract for Chauncey Billups. He will be offered about 14 million per season. Joe Dumars believes in team concept, and that includes team type salaries. A max contract doesn't fit into the plans. I strongly believe that Davidson has determined this and Dumars believes in the program. Anybody who gives Billups 20 million or more will regret their decision. I fully expect Billups will leave and that Dumars will once again, pull a rabbit out of his hat.

16. max

max All-Star

Depends what you want to call max. Ben did not get a max deal because he could have gotten more.

Somebody out there is going to offer Billups a lot no matter what the outcome is because most teams would be happy to get this far. For the Pistons there are going to be some tough choices to be made if the team under-performes again in the post-season.

To me its kind of disturbing that Billups has problems with the Cavs because they are not going anywhere until James contract runs out. So whatever it is they had better figure it out. Either that or try and strategically place ourselfs between the Cavs/Bulls in the standings next year so we would not have to play them.

There still is time to figure this out. I do not agree with Kerr that there is anything physical about the Cavs since Billups has played against bigger and more experienced guards before. Kerr described a hack in his article which I know Billups is not.

17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

^^ You're the only max player around here. :)

My concern is that there may now be a "book" on Billups and several contending teams are aware of weaknesses or tendencies that they can exploit.

Watch how easy it was for Flip Murray to take advantage of the Cavs. They really had no answer for him. And he's not even that good. lol

This offense is heavily driven by the PG. Like others, I am concerned about hitching our wagon to a PG who may be past his prime in a league that keeps getting younger and faster.

Now if CBill wants to make the sacrifices Ben was not willing to make, so that we can continue to surround him with complementary talent each year, that is cool. But if we are going to absorb a boat anchor contract that will keep him here but reduce our flexibility to compete, then maybe we are better off rolling the dice.

I feel like I have already said too much... :sssh:

18. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Not really..............:) :) :)

19. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

One thing Billups needs to realize is that he has caught on with the RIGHT team. I don't think he has the kind of success he's had here with anyone else. Billups kicked around this league for a long time before he found the right fit. Why leave now? He'll get plenty from D & D, as did Ben. If it ain't enough, let him walk. Gotta think about the team. I think C-Note should get the same offer that Wallace did, 4 for $48 million. No more, no less.

20. max

max All-Star

Thats funny. Only time when its gets confusing is when someone in chat or something calls Maxiel max.

There is something that we all know from watching this team that guys like Kerr who only see a couple of Piston games a year do not know.

Our guys are very capable of playing bad for more that 2 games in a row. The fact that Billups has done it for 3 games in a row is just par for the course.

I am sure the Cavs think they have him figured out but he has bounced back in the past and proven many wrong.