Will Blalock Signed

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by webz, Jul 24, 2006.

1. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Blalock signed to a multi-year deal, terms not disclosed. What does this mean for Acker?

http://www.nba.com/pistons/news/blalocked_signed_060724.html

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - Detroit Pistons President of Basketball Operations Joe Dumars announced today that the club has signed second round pick Will Blalock to a multi-year contract. Per team policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed. “We are pleased to announce the signing of our second round pick Will Blalock,” said Dumars. “Will had a good showing at the Vegas summer league and we are excited about his potential and ability to give us depth at the point guard position.”
    Blalock averaged 15.4 points and 6.1 assists (10th nationally in assists) in 30 games last season at Iowa State, earning Third Team All-Big 12 by the league’s coaches and The Associated Press. An early-entry candidate for the NBA Draft, Blalock scored 20 or more points nine times and recorded three games of double-figure assists.
    The Boston, MA native started 82 of his 93 collegiate games, including every game as a sophomore and junior. Among Iowa State’s all-time leaders, Blalock finished his career ranked 22nd in scoring (1,078 points), sixth in assists (464) and tied for sixth in steals (177).
    In five games for Detroit at the Toshiba Vegas Summer League last week, Blalock averaged 5.2 points, 1.8 rebounds and 3.4 assists in 21.8 minutes per game.
  2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Good news. If he can learn from Chauncey AND Lindsey, he'd be a solid player.

We have room for one more guy.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Acker, and SOMEONE PLEASE POST THE TERMS OF THE CONTRACT WHEN ANNOUNCED!

Thanks!
  4. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

I was more impressed about his ball hawking more than anything else, for a rookie pt guard if he has good handles and a defensive presence than you can develope the rest for a solid pt guard.

I like his game in Vegas was not outstanding but you saw the true potential. good signing.

As for Acker he still can make the roster but why?, He is in the numbers game he will not see the light of day as far as playing time so its best for him to go some place else, whether another team or over seas.
    Blalock gives them 14 contract players.
  5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

This is great for Blalock. For the "last man standing" in the draft my understanding is that he was borderline whether or not to enter the draft or remain at Iowas State.

He is quoted in the Iowa State Daily

If the NBA is for me, then it's for me. But if it's not, I'll be right back here. I have a lot of stuff I have to talk about with my family first before I make my decision." Although he has not completely removed his name from the draft, Blalock said he will not hire an agent, allowing him to come back for his senior season if he chooses.
    "I don't want to screw up my eligibility," Blalock said. "I'm going to keep my options open to come back."

Good job getting that NBA contract. I'm pulling for him.
  6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Does "multi-year" imply guaranteed? Or am I confused that there could even be a non-guaranteed / must come to camp and make the team option?
  7. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

He didn't do much in summer league but there's no reason not to sign the guy. I'm assuming it's the standard one year guaranteed and one year team option deal that a lot of second rounders get.

I would guess Acker is a goner and Blalock and Amir spend most of the season down in the D league.
  8. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Well, if I had to choose between Blalock and Acker...I would have taken Acker. Blalock was extremely mediocre during VSL and I'm surprised they even bothered to keep him. I seriously hope this doesn't spell the end for Acker here.
  9. roscoe36

A compounding factor could be that Acker was so successful in D-League and one of the better SL Pistons that he is attracting some international and perhaps even NBA attention.

Blalock is a nice cheap signing with likely few competing interests.

Re-signing Acker in light of the Delfino tragic-comedy could be a necessary move.
  10. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

What's a guy to do whose just trying to make the roster and play basketball? It looked to me like Acker played his heart out in Summer League and he doesn't make the roster because he might be too expensive? How cheap are we? Why bother to draft these guys? I was looking forward to seeing this guy play some minutes.:mad: Him and JMax. Nothing against Blalock, but our guys who "ride the pine" like that, I'd like to see them play in a Pistons uniform before they fade off into the distance.
  11. Pwn Toney

If this is just a cheaper way to go and spells the departure of Acker, get ready for another 15 years of ineptitude because this cheap way of playing is only going to win once every 2 decades.
  12. max

max All-Star

We do need a point guard and I think one of the things they determined recently is that Acker is not one.
  13. crumbs

crumbs First Round Draft Pick

I agree, this was probably the determining factor, not money. The team doesn't really need another off guard, and even if Delfino leaves, they would probably look for someone with more size to back up the 3 spot.

What's with the doom-and-gloom over losing an inexperienced, undersized combo guard, I don't think it would be hard to find a replacement if we needed one.
  14. roscoe36

Acker is not undersized. He is a little short but his wingspan and standing reach are exceptional. He nearly weighs as much as Cheikh Samb.

Height ~ 6' 3¾"
    Height (with shoes) ~ 6' 4¾"
    Weight: 183.0
    Wingspan: 7' 0"
    Reach: 8' 6½"
  15. Pwn Toney

It's mostly because there seems to be more of an interest in bringing in retreads and guys who have proven to be avg at best. Then not giving Acker, who has shown he has ability, any shot to earn PT by filling the roster with crap like Flip Murray and Dupree.
  16. max

max All-Star

Thats been the theme for the past 3 seasons.
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The real issue here is that each NBA team has 15 roster slots to fill. Most teams will use about a 10-man rotation. That leaves positions for 5 guys on a roster that are not going to play. What to do with these 5 positions? Most guys at positions 11-15 fit into one of these three categories:

1. Insurance: You have guys that will only play if there is an injury (e.g., Dale Davis)

2. NBDL: You have guys that will be inactive the entire season (e.g., Amir, Acker)

3. Locker room: You have guys that will work hard in practice and keep a good attitude in the locker room (e.g., Dupree, Ham, Hunter)

Will Blalock clearly fits into category #2. He will be inactive the entire season and play games in the NBDL.

Alex Acker, on the other hand, has proven he can play at the NBDL level and is ready for a bigger challenge (NBA, Europe).
  18. Pwn Toney

Yeah, but at least Elden Campbell was a useful veteran and was able to contribute. Even if it was in very few series. Same thing with Williamson. He was very useful in the regular season and in spurts during the playoffs.
  19. max

max All-Star

You are not going to build a dynasty off of 2nd round draft picks either. Every once in a while one of them works out, most don't.
  20. Pwn Toney

No, the only difference is I would like to see some of the guys who have played well (Acker, Delfino) get some minutes to see if indeed they pan out as oppsed to bringing in someone like Dupree who we have dismissed twice only to bring him back.