Will Blalock - Sioux Falls Skyforce Tracker

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Apr 18, 2007.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah..and he hit that three pointer that one time..

2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Lee, I agree with you, in general, on this issue. However, for some reason he was the last pick, and he couldn't crack the lineup enough to stick around during the season. Maybe Flip and Joe D. see something that we're failing to notice?

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In 165 minutes with Will Blalock on the floor this year, the Pistons got outscored 300 to 280. As you point out, he started his share of games and they were all in a row, allowing him to get comfortable. Yeah, the Pistons' defense was good while he was out there, giving up 87 points per 48 minutes, but our offense was horrendous, barely breaking 80 points per game. He shot .179 on jump shots, which didn't help.

And let's take a closer look at his defense vs. the Pistons defense. My theory is that the team D was good while he was out there because the rest of the guys were playing harder to make up for the loss of Chauncey.

When you look at what the other point guard did to Blalock, it is hard to give him credit. Below are the 48 minute stats for WB and the man he was playing against while on the court this year.

Blalock/ Opposing PG
    Pts- 7.3/ 14.8
    Reb- 4.4/ 6.7
    Ast- 4.9/ 6.7
    TO- 3.5/ 2.9

Conclusion- just like his offense, his defense was D-League caliber.

He didn't play in these games because he was good, he played so that they could see IF he was good. They found out he wasn't. That is also why he has only received 7 minutes of playing time since Jan 12th.

I understand rooting for the underdog and all... but this is pushing it.

4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Well done sir.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I would also add that Hunter has the same problem. He makes a flashy steal and he has a great reputation for his D, but the numbers don't really show it this year... and his offense is maybe a hair better than Blalock's.

Whether we win the title or not this year, I think Hunter is done.

Flip Murray? He frustrating, but at least the dude can score. I don't like him and I agree with Lee that PG is not his best position, but I honestly think that net/net he plays that position better than WB or LH. He doesn't do it in the classic sense and probably not how you want him to, but he makes people guard him.

We just have to ride Chauncey to the promised land and hope we stay in the game when he is resting.

6. basketbills

TaShawn

You nailed it. Good work. I don't suppose anyone in the forum would want to dispute the solid facts as you presented them?

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

No, its not pushing it. Its stating what is blatently obvious to me, that Blalock can play the point. Forget your stats. I watched him play. I watched him time after time get inside the defense and pass to someone for an open shot. Those shots were not made, a lot of the time because Blalock was not surrounded by a whole lot of talent. But he did his job as a point. Very reliably. Whats more, the contrast between Blalock operating as a point vs. what Hunter or Flip does is immense, completely in Blalocks favor. Hunter and Flip occasionally do something Blaha can hoot and holler about. Blalock does those same things, a good solid pass, or getting inside and dishing, most times down.

PS, I am use to this. A guy plays a little bit. The posters slam him. I defend him. The other posters say if he was good the coach would play him. I say I know what I saw. And yes, I was right, Tay could play the game. Another example of this is Cardinal. I saw him play a little. Just a little. That was all it took for me to know he had talent. In all, this is my take. Most fans don't really play very close attention. I study the film of every game. Other fans go by stats. Sure, I use stats too, but only to back up what I know.

8. basketbills

Lee...I was with you early in the season when you pointed out Hunter's weakness as a backup. We all thought there might be another guard picked up at some point during the season but there wasn't.

When you strongly assert your belief in Blalock I disagree. I will say that his minutes seem similar to Tayshaun's as a rookie. Tayshaun got that tryout early in the season and then was chained to the bench before breaking out in the playoffs.

You came out looking like a genious on that one...(Leenious?) Now, if Blalock suddenly appears and pulls a Tayshaun in this year's playoffs...I say we all chip in to buy you a throne and a crown and Micro should annoint you King of the Forum.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Not surrounded by a whole lot of talent?

He was in the rare situation of being thrust into the starting line-up for a Championship contender. The vast majority of his minutes were with Rip, Tay, Sheed, Dyess, and Maxiell.

If you look at Flip Murray, he was + on the year in a whole lot more minutes. He happened to spend more time on the court with Nazr than anyone else. Also, he was playing with Dyess in the first 1/2 of the year before Dyess got his groove back. He also got paired up with Lindsey Hunter a lot.

And I really don't think I'm bashing Blalock any worse than I would be bashing Hunter if someone here claimed he needed more playing time.

The difference between us seems to be that you think Blalock is ready to step into Playoff action right now and I think he will never make it in the NBA. I hope you are right and I am wrong.

10. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

I think we should start Blalock, Amir, Delfino, Maxiell, and Davis. Forget playing these current starters. We need these five new guys on the floor or we are toast.

11. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

We now welcome Will Blalock to the All-time Lee 357 All-Star team. "Hey Will, meet Victor "Shaq-Stopper" Alexander, Rodney "Better than Michael Jordan" White, Ratko "Shaq-Stopper jr." Varda, and Damon "Starting Point Guard on a Championship Team" Jones. They'll be playing with you next year in Bangladesh. Oh wait, Damon Jones has a guaranteed contract and he can't even get minutes over Daniel Gibson. We'll have to buy him out first. Don't worry, it's in the works."

This is sarcasm, except for the part about Will Blalock playing in Bangladesh next year.

12. linwood

linwood All-Star

Nice team. Not sure they could compete against Glynnie, PePe, Zelly, and Darko.

13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

TaShawn, great analysis, but perhaps you need to study the film in slow motion, frame-by-frame detail. Only then, my friend, will you see the true greatness of Sir Blalock.

14. basketbills

I didn't even know they played basketball in Bangladesh:sssh:

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

My projector is out of commission. It would be easier if Lee could just put together one of those highlight mixes and throw it on youtube... maybe throw on a phat beat by The Low.

I do remember one game where Blalock was throwing some crazy passes, so there is some fodder out there.

16. Buckeyes#1

Have you forgotten so soon? You are suppose to credit Tay's and Rip's points to Blalock. :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:

17. Buckeyes#1

I wonder what Blalock's assist to turnover ratio is?

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's pretty good actually.

19. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Why would they compete against their own bench?

20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Don't forget that 3-pointer that Blalock made back in January. Fine looking shot it was. Nothing but net.