Will Blalock

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Jun 29, 2006.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Looking at three mocks the lowest he was expected to be picked was @ 46 (Draft Express...
    here's what they have to say about him:
    http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=574

ESPN says that he would have been a steal at #39 for the Bucks

NBADRAFT.NET has this to say:
    NBA Comparison: Marcus Banks
    Strengths: An exciting floor general who makes those around him better ... A true PG with great handle and passing ability ... Excellent court vision, has a knack for finding the open teammate and makes the difficult pass seem easy ... Extraordinarily long arms make him very effective in a number of areas, (he's around 6 foot and has a 6-5 wingspan, if not more) He'll throw down on the break if given an opening and routinely dunks on ally oops. Rebounds well ... Great defender with quick hands ... Has very good quickness and gets great elevation ... Despite being a bit of a gunslinger passing the ball, he rarely makes many turnovers and has great ball protection ... Free throw shooting is excellent ... Has a great first step and loves to go baseline ... Great body strength ...

Weaknesses: Must gain better consistency and range on his jumpshot ... Not a great finisher around the basket, he is improved but must become better ... Must develop a more consistent 3 point shot, he can shoot it, but if he improved it would make him deadly ... Can be too unselfish at times, must develop the ability to take over offensively in crunch time ...

2. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

Does this mean farewell to Alex Acker?

3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Alex Acker will probably be traded straight up for KG.

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Oh big steal:)! Yes this makes me so happy. I didn't hear Dee Brown's name for a while, but I new he wouldn't fall down to 60. Will Blaylock would be a perfect backup for CB according to his strengths and weaknesses. On nba draft.net they have him rated an overall 88 which is extremely good for 60 th pick. Thats as good as some of the first rounders.

Here is his profile: http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/willblalock.html

6. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

ROS! WHY MUST YOU TEST ME?

(Griff just swallowed some poison)

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Looking at the predraft measurements Blalock has a standing reach of 8'.05"...
    compared to these players:
    Jordan Farmar (6' 2") standing reach - 7'10.05
    Randy Foye (6' 3.25) standing reach - 8'1"
    Marcus Williams (6' 3.25) standing reach - 8' 1.5

No PG drafted at 6' 3" or less has a standing reach more than Blalock (also includes 2005)
    BTW Acker is 6' 4.75 with a standing reach of 8' 6.5" (7' wingspan)

So like JMax, Blalock is short in height wise but is still long.

8. kolay

kolay First Round Draft Pick

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?playerId=18964&draftyear=2006

Will Blalock
    Point Guard (Rank: #45) | 6-1, 194 | Age: 22
    Iowa State (Boston, MA)[​IMG] Selected by: Detroit
    Round: 2
    Pick (Overall): 30 (60) Season Averages
    YR GMS MIN PTS REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF FG% FT% 3P% PPS
    2005-0630 35.7 15.4 3.3 6.1 3.0 2.1/1 2.2 0.1 1.8 .447 .659 .398 1.16
    2004-05 30 36.9 12.3 3.2 4.9 2.5 1.9/1 2.0 0.1 1.2 .405 .780 .264 1.15
    2003-04 33 30.7 7.5 2.8 4.1 2.2 1.9/1 1.6 0.1 1.8 .398 .701 .435 1.15

sorry...I don't know how to fix this well...

Chad Ford's Analysis: Nice pick for the Pistons. They needed a point guard who can defend and handle the ball, and this is a steal. Great strength and athleticism. He's a little undersized, but he's got a chance to make the Pistons' roster.

Draft Projection: Second round

Notes: Blalock announced that he's declaring for the 2006 NBA Draft and hired an agent, ending his college eligibility.

Wingspan: 6-6

Standing reach: 8-0 1/2

Maximum vertical jump: 40 inches

Positives: Super-athletic point guard. Excellent body. Long wingspan. Good quickness. Is a real point guard. Sees the floor very well. Good finisher around the basket. Excellent in the up-tempo game. Good, tenacious defender.

Negatives: He's a little bit undersized for his position. His jump shot is improving, but still needs work. Can be a little careless with the ball.

Summary: He's a sleeper. Has been working out very well in individual workouts. Scouts Inc. Evaluation: Blalock was a three-year starter at point guard and the primary ball handler at Iowa State. He plays bigger than his height because of his extraordinary 6-foot-6 wingspan. He is an extremely athletic and explosive guard with a tremendous vertical leap and is outstanding on the break or in the open floor where he can utilize his speed and quickness. Blalock gets to the paint and creates for himself or others. He was as good as anybody in the country on the fast break and would be great with an up-tempo team in the NBA.
    Blalock is a proven floor leader who makes others around him better. He has excellent court vision, is a great passer and always finds the open man. He led the Big 12 in assists and was 11th in the country at 6.1 per game. He needs to become more comfortable running pick-and-rolls. He has worked hard at improving this phase of his game, but like many young guards he needs to improve his instincts for reading the defense and taking what it gives you. One knock on Blalock is that he is too unselfish and disappears at times. He needs to learn in the NBA how to take over a game at crucial times and not take a back seat to lesser players.
    Blalock will go as far as his jump shot will take him. He has improved his range over his time at Iowa State and has surprised several NBA teams with his shot. He has used more of a set-shot on the 3-pointer and needs to develop more of a 1-2 step and quicker release. He has a great first step and pull-up in the lane, which will serve him well in the NBA.
    Although Iowa State played a lot of 2-3 zone, Blalock is a great defender with quick hands. He will be a very good on-the-ball defender against NBA point guards.
    Blalock might not have the name recognition of some of the other top point guards in the draft, but many NBA people feel he is passing some of those players each day.

9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

40" verticle and hits 40% from the college tre... I'm warming up to what I thought would be nothing but scrubs left @ #60.

I love how these draft experts contradict each other... one says not a good finisher... the other says "good finisher around the basket".
    One says needs to protect the ball... the other says "excellent ball control and decision making"... anyways his t.o. to assist looks good.

Looking forward to the comparisons to Acker in the SL.

10. max

max All-Star

Looks good on paper but its hard to get excited about #60. Good thing we have the dev league.

11. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

We should have a good competition in the preseason. Blalock, Acker, Delk, and Lindsey if he returns.

He sounds like much more of a pure point guard than anyone else on our roster, which is extremely promising.

12. kolay

kolay First Round Draft Pick

I think Acker can be a combo guard since Joe select Blalock....

13. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I'm surprised Isiah didn't draft him, thinking he was Mookie.

14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I really like the pick. A pure pg.
    But will he get a fair chance? :fingerscr

15. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

He wears #11.

16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

you mean "wore". :eyebrows:

17. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I always wonder how you guys get excited about guys picked late in the 2nd round. :)
    Me, I expect him to have a Ricky Paulding fortune

18. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

LOL. That's my Roscoe ya'll. My Brudda.

19. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

finally we get a guard that doesn't sound like part of a mcdonalds menu.

ie. combo.

at least he is strong is some things CB is not.

20. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

or super sized. the guys a little on the small side.

Some website's mock draft put this guy at #60 for detroit. Amazing. I think it was nostradamusnbadraftpicks.com