Will Blalock

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Jun 29, 2006.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't think the salaries will work. Maybe if you package, say a Horace Jenkins and the Pistons' 2014 2nd round pick, the TWolves might go for it.
  2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

If I'm the Pistons I make that trade.
  3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Brief aside -

This is a good example of the infinite number of monkeys paradigm. I.e., if you have an infinite number of monkeys typing away randomly on an infinite number of typewriters, eventually they will produce Hamlet.

It's also a good example of survivorship bias. Suppose you have 1000 stock traders who make one trade a year and whether they make money or not is determined by a secret coin flip. If they make money they survive, if the lose, we shoot them. So, after one year we have 500 traders left. After five years there are 31 left, and they're the toast of Wall Street. Everyone wants to give them their money to invest.

If this case, with a practically infinite number of pundits (thanks to the democratizing power of the internet), someone was going to get the pick right.

Slippy - I'm not saying you think these guys are special - you're just pointing it out. But it is a good example of how we can place value on more or less random events that could have easily have gone the other way.
  4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

is this like how you notice that street lamps only go out when you pass under them...cuz that flips me out. :ohwell:
  5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

LOL :laugh: :pound:

Pretty much the same thing.
  6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

some of you are saying it's only the 60th pick:blah: Blalock was projected to be picked in the first round and at the latest early in the second round. I was expecting no one to be left.

This guy is an uptempo guy and sees the floor well, but he's small. Chauncey is big is more of a halfcourt guy who can shoot the jumper. You don't think Chauncey will try getting this guy better?

I like Tony Delk, but I want to see some of the young guys. We also traded for Cheik Sam (don't know how to spell his name). We should be able to tell if he's really good by the time summerleague comes. If he isn't he can work overseas.
  7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

yep. Summerleague will be interesting. I will probably buy the games online again this year.
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I see Delk coming back and Blalock in Soiux Falls for a year.
  9. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

He may be on the shorter side (measured out at about a 1/4 inch under 6-foot), but he's got a 6-6 wingspan, a standing reach that is as good as any 6-3 or shorter PG in the last 2 drafts, and he's built like a tank. For what it's worth, he did as many reps of 185 lbs at the combine as Lamarcus Aldridge and Tyrus Thomas. Plus he had the 2nd best no-step vertical leap at the combine, and 6th best overall vertical leap (just a fraction of an inch shorter than high flyers like Tyrus Thomas and Rudy Gay).

I, for one, welcome a pass-first PG with open arms. If he can work on his jumper some over the summer you never know what could happen. It's easier to become a PG in this league with a shaky jumper but good PG skills than it is with a good jumper and poor PG skills (like most PG prospects seem to be). It wouldn't be a shock to me for him to become a good player in the future. PGs drop all the time because mediocre bigs always get taken over good guards.
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Slippy = Shleprock :laugh:
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Tim McCormick and espn analaysist sayd Blalock is a Jamal Tinsley type of player. As long as Blalock doesn't get injuries like Tinsley thats cool.:cool:
  13. Capn

Capn First Round Draft Pick

what concerns me is that a few years back we drafted another pure point guard with a questionable jump shot.... remember Mateen Cleaves. I loved Cleaves at MSU. But the analysis on him was he was a great leader on the court, had vision, etc.... but was questionable with his jump shot.

Hopefully Blalock doesn't go down the road that Cleaves did.
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

ESPN's take on the Pistons draft:

Round 1: No picks

Round 2: Cheik Samb, C, Senegal (No. 51, acquired from Lakers)
    Will Blalock, PG, Iowa State (No. 60)
    Analysis: The Pistons didn't have a first-round pick, but they made the most of their opportunities.

Cheik Samb is the type of reach you make in the second round. He's a 7-foot, athletic kid that a team in Spain will spend time and money developing for you.

I had Will Blalock ranked in the 30s and think he not only will make the Pistons roster but also could play for them down the road.

Grade: A
  15. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

C'mon, how many players are out there who where projected to be higher and stuff? You never know about quality til' the player actually has to prove something. These late picks are just a win-win situation. Maybe you get a sleeper, if not, it doesn't hurt.
  16. Darth Tater

Yep. I agree. I think they did very well considering they had "nothing" to work with.

True enough, neither may be any good and both may rot on the bench like those before them, but who would be a better pickup at 51 and 60?
  17. Darth Tater

What's your point?

Darko was a high pick and apparently a major bust.

Yes, the entire draft is essentially a crapshoot, if that's what you are saying. We may as well speculate...either that or watch soccer. :bored:
  18. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

the point is that it's the same talk every draft. "Player X Y was projected to be drafted earlier"... you hear alot about their good qualities and so on and sometimes you get the impression Michael Jordan himself was drafted at '45.
    I just don't buy that stuff til I see these guys in Summer League.
    Darko's gonna show that he ain't no bust next season and Orlando will have its revenge for the Hill trade.
    What is your point, on the other hand?
  19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Ralphi I'm just saying that makes me like the pick more. Of course I want to see what he does, but doesn't it make you feel better that this kid was very good and was a 30-40 pick yet he fell into our hands rather than just getting someone without too much potential?
  20. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

How do I buy the games online, Slippy? Who do I pay? When? :nod: :thumb: :cool: