Will Bynum > Rodney Stuckey?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Smoooth, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

Discuss.

(not just based on Charlotte performance)
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's looking like that is possible. Much quicker, better hops, better defense, draws more attention. The jumper is still a little weak, but from mid-range, it's probably better than Stuck's as well.

Glad he got the chance to show his game.

Stuckey isn't play as well as he was before, so I'd like to believe that he still have a lot of upside.
  3. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Honestly, I have no idea. Bynum has played much better of the two of late... but then again we were probably overrating Stuckey in December, early January when he was averaging 18/6/5 on 50% shooting. So I won't be fooled twice by overreacting to Bynum's great play of late. Fool me once shame on you... fool me twice shame on me.

One thing I will say is that Bynum has the killer instinct that Stuckey does NOT have... and he is a much harder worker. Stuckey is lazy and content IMO. Why? ... I have no idea. He hasn't done a thing in this league yet.
  4. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Perhaps because his GM sang his praises all of last offseason saying he'd trade anyone except him?

Back on topic: On talent, no. On impact, yes, for now. Of course, this could also just be an extended hot streak like Stuckey had in December, so. I think people just started overrating Stuckey and are getting diappointed with him now.
  5. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

Maybe because he knows the organization/fans are already sold on him.
  6. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Which is precisely why I am not gonna call Will Bynum the next Isiah Thomas just yet, though that was a Zeke like performance in the 4th quarter tonight.

Good point about Dumars also. Stuckey was the only 'sacred cow' on the team apparently, while non of the veterans were safe (on a championship caliber team). He's only 22 years old. That would probably get to my head a bit too.
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Definitely if the organization says you are the franchise payer to build around, then you either second guess your own skill sets or relax because you feel that the boss loves me I can do no wrong. I tend to feel it is the former and Stuckey is probably overwhelmed with all of what's going and probably feels that the losses could be directly related to him as the heir replacement of Billups.

With AI gone, Bynum will get 20+ mins a game, but lets hope that if they indeed make the playoffs, some dumb coach and GM do not decide to limit his minutes in favor of the franchise player....:ohwell:
  8. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Honestly, their minutes should be distributed by whoever is playing well in that particular game. Stuckey was playing well against Philly the other day... he deserved the crunch time minutes. Bynum was the friggen man tonight... he deserved (and thankfully got) the crunch time minutes over Stuckey.

After all, there are no sacred cows on this team! :sssh::hoops:
  9. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

I think that Detroit should hold onto Bynum as he's been the best thing to emerge out of the backcourt. He just changes the complexion of the game and forces the other team to focus so much on him because he motors so fast and is fearless. Afflalo is no slouch either and he plays with so much heart and grit and he made a difference on both ends of the court as well. So the Pistons are in good shape with guards for next season and this leaves Rip or Tay as trade bait in my opinion. The Pistons are going to be in good shape and they need to pick up a defensive minded power forward who's younger than Dice and Sheed (Carlos Boozer and Chris Wilcox) and maybe Brandon Bass (love his game). I want to go younger and more athletic to compete for the championship next year.

Just loved watching the 4th quarter today and seeing Bynum on a tear and nothing the Bobcats could do about it.
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Bynum is good at what he does and what he's there for. He will never be a Chris Paul, but he's an energizer and that was the best performance by a true BENCH player since Vinnie.

So here's to my new main man, Wil "IMGONNAGETMINE" Bynum,

THE TOASTER OVEN!!!!!!!

[​IMG] 'thanka verymuch!'
  11. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Alot of good points in this thread. I don't particularly think you can gauge fairly who is better, Stuck or Bynum, just yet. Stuck was on fire earlier this season and Bynum is on fire now. This is a great problem to have for the Pistons going forward though, and I'm glad Bynum is stepping it up big time and showing he can play. Let's see what these two can do in the playoffs on the big stage. After all that's one of the best benchmarks, isn't it?
  12. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

I think its too early to say for a couple reason because like many have said Stuckey had a month where he looked like the best player on Det. Its also different doing what Bynum is doing coming off the bench compared to being a starter. Sure he might finish a couple games against the other teams starters, but its still different when the majority of your mins are against the cp3's, parkers, and dwills.
  13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hopefully they don't get too many benchmarks.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Now that Bynum has surpassed Stuckey, and AI is gone, that makes Stuckey the 8th best player on our team. Still.
  15. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

These exact threads were cropping up at the end of last year about Stuckey being better than Billups. The truth is, Bynum is not on opposing teams' radar yet. Maybe he will be now. Maybe he's good enough to adjust. I like him a lot. But I don't think you can adequately compare them until Bynum is seeing the kind of scouting that Stuckey started getting after he stepped up his play.
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Bynum was scouted in the Israeli league where he was an elite player.

Bynum has experience, and he's got a more polished game than Stuckey right now.

I feel a little sorry for HotRod because it doesn't look like he's getting any help to make him better out there.

Most 2nd year players don't go through such long slumps.
  17. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I wonder if that nickname helps Stuck with the ladies any? :D
  18. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Funny, there was a thread almost exactly like this one at the very beginning of the year. Then come December, people were bumping it laughing at how absurd it was.

Now we're back.

IMO, Will is a very good player, playing in the perfect role for him. Spark plug off the bench with a 2nd unit where he can wheel and deal at will. Still, Stuckey during December/January was better than Will right now. But, as the Iverson situation has shown, it's not about what you've done in the past, so Rodney needs to get back to where he was earlier in the season.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The thing is that Bynum is a better defender too and would probably have a better chance against the CP3's of the league... when you factor in both sides of the ball.
  20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

aND REMEMBER whn Brock Lesnar was the NEXT BIG THING!!!!!??????????

Cmon, folks ...can Wil play at least 40 GAMES before we call him the next Calvin Murphy (who must be rollin in his grave!)

GO SPARTY!!:beer:(CAN WE make this beer green?)