Will Bynum > Rodney Stuckey?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Smoooth, Apr 5, 2009.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

No.

It's beginning to look more and more like Stuck is playing out of position though.

But the main thing i see with Stuck is he has hit a wall and the Pistons put too much pressure on him way too early. He will be fine. He does (and everyone else) need a coach to fine tune things for him esp on defense; an LB/Chauncey type deal.

edited to add;

Will is a great role player, but IMO not a starter in this league.
  2. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Just like in basketball, the name helps at first, but then you have to put up.

I am going to give Stuckey another year. Hopefully, we will have a new coach. With the trade, AI drama, and lineup changes, it was bound to have a negative effect on Stuckey. I am not giving up on him. But I love that Willy is now free.
  3. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

Bynum played in a elite europe team,bad a bad level league, in macabbi,the best team of israel by far,you can only win,no lossers mentality.
    One point guard who has played in europe at high level(euroleague) can improve his tactic and game play mentality, important experience, if Rodney want to be a starter he must play at 100% after this weeks with Bynum ascent, i think is good because this summer Bynum and Stuckey will train a lot to compete next year each other.
  4. max

max All-Star

Something about those undrafted guys who played oversees. They always seem to work hard and never quit. Talent is not always there but the effort is.

We should not be so quick to dismiss Bynum.
  5. booggerg

booggerg First Round Draft Pick

Everything you've stated is not being reflected in reality.
  6. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

They play with a chip on their shoulder...

I've said all along that Bynum is a good player..It would have been nice if he had spent time with Billups or Larry Brown...In my opinion, that would have turned him into an excellent pass-first point....but he's nothing close to a pass first point... Do you guys remember when Billups played for Detroit before Larry Brown came along...he was always looking to points on the board..

With that said, I still think Bynum has a ton of potential because he is naturally faster off the dribble than most point guards. The guy is impossible to guard off the crossover....Next time he plays pay attention to how he gets by every point guard at will. When he does that, other teams are forced to rotate , which create a mismatch and could leave someone open...From there he can either pass out, do something himself or throw the ball to a big (Maxiell would be ideal.)

If Bynum works on his jumper and long-jumper most importantly then he will be that much better....Obviously one one would be able to get in his face for tough defense (because he'll blow by them) and they can't give him too much room because he'll knock the jumper down.

Sorry to write so much...but he's the only exciting thing on the Pistons roster right now.
  7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

How so?

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

"Reality is the illusion that occurs due to lack of alcohol." -a wise man
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The question to me is if the Pistons should offer him a max deal to ensure he doesn't sign with someone like CLE? I know it would cut into their cap space, but to me it is well worth it to bolster their team while weakening the competition.
  10. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

err max? lol.... i think joe would be smart to sign him to an extension this summer but nowhere near max....

Joe has to be very secure with the 4 guards going forward... ok with the starting 3 (is sharpe a backup next year or not?) so all his focus this summer really can be towards the front court....

Does he keep one of the vets and if so that means one of the young ones has to be traded (asuming starting FA is being signed)
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think he is playing for under $750k. It might be under $400k.

If they keep him, he's due for a raise. Will has been one guy all season that has gone out and earned his paycheck. Whether he has superstar upside or not, he's put in an honest effort.
  12. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Alchohol is the reality that occurs due to a lack of illusions - a drunk man
  13. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

There is a chance that Kwame may not exercise his player option next year. Good chance Rasheed won't get signed unless he settles for the mid-level and desires to finish out in Detroit.

Definitely keep Dice and Maxiell. I wouldn't say Amir is untouchable.. Anyone think we can get a mid-first rounder for him? Maybe a back-up point forward?

Are we keeping Sharpe...Can't really evaluate his game...I've seen him play for a total of 6 or 7 minutes..
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Uh... what about Dice? He took his paycheck, tore it into pieces, and then worked even harder.
  15. roscoe36

Ok, and Dice. I overlooked him. My superbad.
  16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Haha... I was only kidding. You know that 'young fiddy' is a playa and I'm sure he doesn't have a problem getting the ladies... the nickname is an added bonus. ;)

And yeah, I wouldn't give up on either guy at this point. I am happy to have both... they have both shown flashes of brilliance at different points in the year. I think Stuckey's game probably has more room for improvement though, considering he is 4 years younger.
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Point guard is a tough adjustment coming into the NBA. Similary to Stuckey, Billups was never a pure point guard when he entered the league. Stuckey has hit the wall this season, but I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Billups 2nd season in NBA:
    Assists: 3.8
    Rebounds: 2.1
    Turnovers: 2.2
    FG%: 38.6

Stuckey's 2nd season in NBA:
    Assists: 4.8
    Rebounds: 3.5
    Turnovers: 2.5
    FG%: 44.2
  18. roscoe36

19. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I propose this question to everyone. Would anyone be in favor of bringing Zeke back as an assistant coach next year to help mentor young Stuckey? I've thought about this for awhile...
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How about we bring back a bad boy mentor for each young player on the team.

Stuckey- Isiah
    Bynum- Vinnie
    Afflalo- ?? Joe
    Amir- Rodman
    Maxiell- Mahorn
    Kwame- Laimbeer
    Herrmann- Aguirre