Will Bynum: Starting Point Guard?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by tads, Mar 13, 2010.

1. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

If Stuckey stays out its safe to say the only thing we will continue to see form Will Bynum is sick stat lines, defensive intensity, and more pass-first decision-making than all three of the gord-stuck-ilton guard unit. Given that, shouldn't he stay at point guard? I know that this would mean stuckey hamilton or even prince or jerebko would have to sit, and that would be distasteful for those people, but that doesn't mean that he shouldn't keep the starting job. I might not have been following the team that closely given the season, so I don't know all the facts, but it seems like Bynum deserves a shot. He has shown that he can bring energy as soon as the game starts and that he will put up sick pg numbers for the rest of the year if he is playing with the starting unit. Why not?
  2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

hell, no.

Iron Will is very perfect sparkplug off the bench.

In NBA it is huge difference to step in some games vs starting 82 games 35+mpg.
  3. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Eh... NO!

Bynum had a really, really nice game last night, but you have to be realistic as to what he is. He is a spark plug off the bench.
  4. max

max All-Star

Definitely something worth looking at. Only Pistons in more than 20 years to get 20 assists in a game. 17 more games to make a decision for next year.
  5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That assist thing is a two way street. Last night guys were hitting shots.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

To all the nay-sayers, let's not speak too soon here. Aside from last night there are plenty of reasons to argue why Will should be "considered" for the starting PG spot.
    1. I've stated many times before that Stuckey is ideal as a combo guard coming off the bench, starting Will would prove that.
    2. Will (short)/Rip(tall) and Stuckey(tallish)/Bengo(undersized) are much more ideal backcourt pairings then what we have now; Stuckey/Rip and Will/Bengo.
    3. The starting unit is our best defensive unit, JJ and Max -or-Ben; Rip and Tay (when they want to be). Putting Will in THAT lineup (with guys who know how to rotate) hides his shortfalls and optimizes his ability to pressure the ball. Compare that to playing him with CV and BG, that 2nd unit exposes Will, Stuckey would be the better defender to put with that 2nd unit.
    4. Putting Stuckey on the court with BG, CV, and Daye, spreads the floor and opens the court up for him (if he ever learns how to drive and kick)
    5. The jury is still out on Stuckey, starting Will makes Stuck have to get his spot back, also he becomes easier to trade in order to get some size upfront.
    6. Don't tell Will Bynum what he can't do. Last year he shocked us all, once he got ahold of that PT that AI abandoned he took it and ran with it, even caused us to have this debate last year. This year it's like the script writing itself all ove ragain, he very well may make it impossible to bench him, I believe he WANTS it that badly.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

OK Flip.......that said, he consistently made the right play at the right time. Some may even argue that guys were hitting shots because the ball was delivered to them on time and on target, as to not effect their rhythm. Not saying that's what happened, all I'm sayin is....I'm Just Sayin'
  8. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

The jury is out on Stuckey... but there is no one on this team good enough to take a starting spot away from him. If he is healthy, he will start.

I do love the overreactions on this board to one good game from Bynum.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I wouldn't consider it an overreaction, this is not the first time we've had to ponder this. The reality is that Will depends on his speed, quickness and agility, with bum ankles, he's worthless. With healthy ankles he's shown he's a very good basketball player.

And we both see the same things in Rodney Stuckey, you see half full while I scream half empty and one thing you and I have never debated was whether or not Stuckey is a legit PG? If Will had his coming out party last night.......well, I'm jus' sayin'
  10. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Stuckey is a legitimate starting point guard. I don't think Stuckey is great yet (he has a lot room for improvement) but he is a solid starter in this league.

Bynum isn't as good an all around player, is a few years older and much less likely to improve. I don't see the debate here.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Can you name 10 starting PGs he is clearly better than?

Or is he a starting PG on a bottom 10 team?

I don't think getting excited about the best passing game in 20 years for this franchise is overreacting. Will is not a fluke. He also owns the single quarter scoring record for the franchise. Dude can play.
  12. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Starting point guards that Stuckey is clearly better than:

Rafer Alston
    Derick Fisher
    Jameer Nelson
    Jarrett Jack
    George Hill (starting in place of injured Parker)
    Johnny Flynn
    Mo Williams
    Mike Conley
    Brandon Jennings
    Earl Watson
    Jrue Holiday
    Chris Duhon
    Randy Foye
    Mike Bibby

Yeah, Stuckey is somewhere in the middle. I didn't claim he was a great starter at his position, but he is certainly not bench quality like soooooooo many people here like to think he is.
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Who said he was bench quality?

I think the charge is that he is not a great floor leader or passer. Not that he isn't a talented basketball player.
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And so far through three qtrs tonight they are not....
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I said it, and I don't mean it in a bad at all. He's not starting PG material, and there is nothing that anyone can say tomake me feel differently. I also don't see him as the type of player who'll put 80 great games together as a starting 2-guard. I do think he's a combo guard who could be the best backup PG/SG in the league and still avg around 18ppg coming off the bench playing starter minutes. In the right situation I think he can do for us what Jamal Crawford is doing for the Hawks, and what Jet Terry is doing for the Mavs.
  16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Stuckey is in the middle of the road for starting point guards in the NBA. Saying he is not starting material suggests that there are 30 players in the league who are better at the position than him. That's not even close to being the case.

He is starting material. You are wrong.
  17. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think it's funny that until the Washington game, Bynum was Will "I'm gonna get mine" Bynum. Then he drops 20 dimes on the worst team in the league and suddenly the same people say he needs to be our starting point guard because of his overwhelming ability as a floor general.

I hover somewhere in between. I've been cutting him some slack since I felt like he was not back up to speed since injuring both ankles. Maybe he is finally getting back up to speed now. But I would really like to continue to have him on the team. With that said, I'm cautious to say that these flashes Bynum is showing would translate into a reliable starting point guard. On the other hand, maybe he is capable; but if so, he needs to be unequivocally handed the reins of the team if he is to be expected to flourish as our number one point guard. Something I don't see happening with Stuckey - and maybe even Rip - on the team.
  18. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

He was actually sick his first night out as starting point guard when he played against the rockets about a week before the washington game. One article quoted

"It was so much easier because I'm able to get guys in the right position and get guys where they want the ball at," Bynum said of starting. "I'm able to control the game because I know I'm going to get a lot of minutes so I'm able to pick and choose when to be aggressive and score and when to get guys the ball."

He's seems to know enough about the game to know that his role as a starter is different than the "gotta get mine" mentality of a spark plug off the bench. If he can make all the players better why shouldn't he playing.

Although last night's game against atlanta wasn't a good case for anyone on the pistons to be starting.
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Again let me state my position. I am not clamoring for Will Bynum to be the starting PG. I am not saying that because he put up 20asts he's become Mark Jackson all of a sudden. What I am saying is that there has been a long on-going debate on who should be the starting PG. When both are healthy, Will pushes the heck out of Rodney.

Since he's been starting for Stuckey he's avg'd 11.75ppg / 10asts / 2.25 TO's, with and ast/TO ratio of 4:1, while shooting 51% from the floor.
    All I'm saying is, the notion definitely has to be entertained, because Rodney is and never will be a PG, as Hubie Brown said, he runs the point-like a 2-guard, Will has been running "the point" like PG as a starter and we are 2-2 with him starting.
  20. Brap

Brap Starter

If Bynum were better he'd be starting and Stuckey wouldn't. This isn't rocket science. Bynum is, when healthy, the ultimate change of pace PG, and he fits on our team (theoretically - since we've been too injured all season to prove any of this, either way), because our best player, Stuckey can play and defend multiple positions.

Also, don't forget that Stuckey is much younger than Bynum. Bynum might improve a little bit as a player, but Stuckey is going to improve a lot more than Bynum since he has quite a few more years to do so. Both these guys will play better as the team around them improves, as is the case with any PG. PG's aren't going to have assists when they line up with teammates who, by and large, can't put the ball in the hoop, and without teammates who are stars on offense. The injuries this season pretty much gutted the Pistons' offensive concepts and continuity. While our young guys have had more opportunities to play, the team concept and team development aspects of our rebuilding probably got gutted and set us back a whole season.

For the misery we've suffered, all our young guys will be that much better next season, and we might be able to add a stud. I actually think that this season will ultimately prove to be very helpful for us, and that the injuries will actually allow us to get back to championship caliber sooner - since being a championship team will require that the Stuckey's, Daye's, Jerebko's, Bynum's, Summers's, Gordon's and CV's develop into really good or great players (at least 4 or 5 of them), that we get value when we trade Tay and Rip and Maxiell and Wilcox's contracts, and that we get a huge payday out of what can/should be a premium draft pick in 2010, and maybe an even more premium draft pick in 2011 (possibly made sweeter when we trade Tay).

2010 isn't going to bring us a center who is dominant in the middle next season. We might well find our answer in the middle, but it's unlikely that whoever we draft there will be great in year 1. With Ben getting older, it seems highly likely to me that our in the paint presence on D will be no better and possibly significantly worse next season. That, and the likely fact that the team's on-court chemisty and rotations will still be in flux and development next season, means the possibility of another high lotto pick - a VERY HIGH lotto pick - in 2011 is very strong.

In 2012, Rip and Maxiell will be highly tradeable - perhaps before that.

I think, that the best case scenario is that the Pistons by the end of 2011 and into 2012 will have put together a much better fitting complimentary roster that will, talent wise, look a lot like Portland or OKC do today.

Personally, I think that makes us a really fun team to follow, as painful as this year has been.