Will Bynum: Starting Point Guard?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by tads, Mar 13, 2010.

1. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Good summation. This is the reality that now presents itself (we hope) to JD. His strength and talent on this club is coming off the bench with the right group. This can be at the one or two position. His style and IQ is much more suited in creating quick burst of individualized activity, rather then the long haul of of the starting five unit that must be shown collective necessities. The latter demands the right leadership values. As he now stands (even without his most recent problems areas), he will never be a top ten one or two player leading a playoff team. This latter course demand a different type of personality and Stuckey is too diminutive, both in playing style and those leadership qualities.
  2. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Says who? You?

Gotta love the armchair GM "experts" here. He will never be this and he will never be that. How the hell do you know if Stuckey is a good leader or not? Have YOU been in the locker room?

I can recall, in fact, that Kuester was praising Stuckey's leadership during the Cleveland game, just before Rodney collapsed. I'm sure you know more than the coach...

Freaking comical, to say the least.
  3. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Its kinda funny to me that the things being said about Stuckey are very similar to the things said about Billups in his first few years in the league. More of a scorer than a pg. Cant handle pg duties. hmmm...amusing. I guess they were right too. What Stuckey needs is a coach and team around him to flourish. the same way C note did. Give it time. If after next year we arent seeing developement? Ill jump on your bandwagon
  4. pass99

You are correct and all on this board acknowledge this. He is in the middle of PG talent estimations and it could be worse.

I also think that you are most perceptive in your first sentence. This of course might take on other concerns regarding the team's placement ratings:

Offense: 29
    Assist: 27
    Field goals: 27
    Free throws: 30
    3-Pt Field Goals: 30
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Less than 2 minutes into last nights game Bynum drove to the hoop and gave 2 head fakes followed by a ball fake that gave Jerebko a shot 2" from the rim.

Bynum although not known for his outside shooting can also routinely hit the PG like pull up top of the key jumper.

Both of these things help the offense flow and are not a natural part of Stuckey's game.

Chauncey Billups ran the point prior to entering the NBA.

If Stuckey is still a rookie in the eyes of his supporters, how long is his sophomore slump going to last?
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Please, these rankings show how bad Stuckey's teammates are.

I also think guys like Rip and Tay are jealous of Hot Rod's talents and do not play as hard when they are on the floor with him as they do when Bynum is out there.
  7. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Can you kindly explain to me how Stuckey is responsible for the Pistons being a poor three point shooting team, poor free throw shooting team (really, what is the point of posting that)...?

Team stats can hardly be attached to one player, give me a break. The Pistons were hardly a great offensive team, even with a great point guard (Billups). We simply don't, and haven't had, great offensive talent in quite some time.

I thought things should improve this year, but Villanueva and Gordon have been colossal disappointments this year. I suppose that's on Stuckey as well.
  8. pass99

Until JD says differently.
  9. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

It certainly has a lot to do with it.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Pistons leading scorer in 1 quarter of action. 20 assist game. Easy decision.
  11. pass99

12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Which begs the question, how do you know he is?

Do you really want to play the "no one is an expert game"? Because you'll have to include your own observations and biases in the unqualified category.

I saw this with Darko, Delfino, Amir and now Stuckey. People start personalizing posts at other posters, because they cannot handle other people having an opinion which differs from theirs about a player they like.

What happens is both sides get deeper entrenched in not only disagreeing, but disliking one another. The quality of discussion suffers and the board in general is an unpleasant place to hang out.

As long as you see it as an obligation to defend Stuckey at all costs against any criticism, warranted or not, people will continue to meet your challenge and give you things to protest.

Some people don't think as much of Stuck as you do. Time will tell who is right and who is wrong. Nothing will be settled on a March 2010 Sunday afternoon.
  13. roscoe36

That's fine if we believe there are no politics at play, but I think Billups was better, and he was traded, and I would argue Hamilton, if not Iverson was better last season, and they both had periods off the bench.

Stuckey is Joe's "all in". If Stuck succeeds, you can bet Fad Chord and other convenient vocalizers will sing the praises of a GM who turned Darko into a top flight PG.
  14. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

from team perspective stuckey has room for improvement but Iron Will is what he is. Finished product.
  15. roscoe36

I think that is a reasonable assessment.
  16. max

max All-Star

When a team is 22-43 everything has to be evaluated in my opinion. Since Stuckey took over we have been a losing team. I am not putting it all on him but this was supposed to be a high octane offense and instead we are near the bottom dwellers.

Offense does look a little better with Bynum in there, so far, is all I am saying. This is a good opportunity to evaluate it further and then - perhaps, it could be one less hole to fill next year.
  17. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I think Bynum is perfect as a change of pace sub. I think the "bigger" problem with the team is that noone besides the average passing pg is that noone else on the team can create for anyone. Unless Rip is in a catch and shoot situation? he is more likely to turn it over than score. Tay has 1 go to move...the back down clock eating hook in the paint(which he doesnt use enough) and he doesnt pass well or handle the rock as well as some believe. Bengo isnt a facilitator and if he isnt scoring hes a liability. Truth be told, the team as a whole is not very good. too many 1 dimensional players that need someone else to aide them to be functional.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I can see both sides on the Stuckey issue. When he's doing his thing, it is fun to watch because he's so aggressive and goes in the paint non stop. I hated our all jump shot offense in the past, so this is refreshing. But the problem is that he he isn't very efficient overall and that includes shooting and passing. The team isn't efficient with him running it for 2 years now.

He either needs to continue to get better or he'll have to prove that he's a keeper at the SG position. I could see Stuckey as a starter on a Championship team if that team was the Lakers or the Cavs. On teams like those, he wouldn't have to run the entire offense and could be a terror. But I don't see him being the lead PG on a Championship team (like Billups or Parker).

The best thing about this though is that he isn't making very much money and we're going to be able to keep him one more year without locking in to a real contract with him. He's clearly out-playing his contract, which is what Pistons basketball should be all about. But so is Bynum.
  19. max

max All-Star

Yes but Pistons used to be among the lead leaders in assists with these horrible players Rip and Tay. Tay will get in for those cuts and Rip can catch and shoot provided that he gets the ball in the right spot. They rarely get the ball in the right spot is what the problem is and have to create their own shots. Offense is not putting them in a good position to succeed.

Plus I absolutly hate when Stuck drops his head and goes non-stop into the teeth of the defense, no matter who is there and who on his team is open. That has to stop. He has to get smarter out there.
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I don't know if I can buy that, Will keeps doing more things that we (or anyone else for that matter) didn't think he was capable of. I've stated it before and I'll state it again, Will is a guy that I'm learning to not count out or give up on, just when I think I know this guy he does something of historical proportions-literally!

RIGHT! That's all I'm saying. Will has clearly shown he has enough game to make this a reasonable possibility, it's not like we're debating Rodney Vs. Sucky Atkins here.

One of the reasons I think that this should be explored is because I truly think (think, I don't know, just have a hunch) that we could be better with Will starting, and that all of the good things that Stuckey brings to the table would still be brought off the bench, I honestly think Stuck would still get his numbers (which aren't too shabby-BTW) by playing starter type minutes off the bench.