Will Bynum: Starting Point Guard?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by tads, Mar 13, 2010.

1. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

We are stuck with remnants of past association and they are hard to break. I always try to be mindful about extraneous comments out of character and how they generally point in the direction of pseudo honesty. One half is the usual wink of playing the game. The other half is pure defensiveness away from the thrust of the comment. One need not be reminded of JD's comment about everyone (except Stuckey) becoming trade fodder. Rip, Tay and yes, Ben are still here. Sheed might still have been, but he kicked his way off the team. The biggest clue might be on who has been moved?
  2. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Really? They've been absolutely blown out in two games. They looked good against the equally horrible Wizards, I'll give you that.

Not even close to being enough of a sample size to say that we look better with Bynum. I can't even tell you how many times (before Stuckey went down) that Rodney would play well in the first quarter, give Detroit a little lead (or keep the team in the game), Bynum comes into at the 3:00 mark of the 1st quarter and the lead quickly evaporates... by the time Stuckey would return midway through the 2nd, the team is usually down by double figures.

And you know what? I have a lot more games to go on (seeing that pattern) than you guys do in the 4 games that Bynum has been starting.

Right now, we're 2-2 with him starting. We will lose the next two to make it 2-4 (Stuckey is not playing the next two nights). Not much of a difference in winning %.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Actually 2Tough, the offense has looked better, the team hasn't, seems as soon as we figured out how to score 100pts, we forget how to hold a team under 100pts. And YOU'RE RIGHT, the sample size is not big enough to make conclusions, in either direction. Stuckey's sample size proves we're a sub .500 team, Will's may be even worse over time, but what's the problem in tinkering to find out?
  4. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

We had been scoring more with Stuckey too. In the previous 7 games that Stuckey started, the team had scored 100 points or more 5 times. In the game against Cleveland, our offense looked good (on the road and against a premier defense) until Stuckey went down.

As you mentioned, defense was the problem and the reason those high scoring games weren't translating into wins.
  5. Brap

Brap Starter

Lest we all forget, Stuckey's assist numbers were climbing very fast with Rip and Tay returned to the lineup (after they started becoming productive and efficient again - which took awhile). And Bynum's been a sieve on defense. Stuckey's a much better defensive guard.
  6. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Yes. Stuckey has been at around 6.5 assists per game or so for the last month + (with low turnovers).
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Without a doubt.
  8. max

max All-Star

I think its safe to say that it would be challenge for either of these guys to start on a contending team. What are we with Bynum starting 2-2.
  9. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Not necessarily.

Derick Fisher still starts and he's horrible.
  10. roscoe36

Derek Fisher has hit a lot of big shots and made a lot of big plays. Dissing Derek Fisher is like dissing Lindsey Hunter. He's not a franchise player, and never tried to be one. He's that 5th man that does all the dirty work. He's the guy who is open to take the game winner. He is the guy the coach subs back into the game when the team loses a lead in the 4th, someone who can settle everyone down and get the team organized.

Obviously, in the triangle, the PG doesn't play a traditional PG role, and Kobe and Pau are the PGs of the Lakers.

Stuckey wouldn't be able to start for the Lakers. They need someone who can space teh floor and shoot at the 1, not someone whose primary weapon is a layup.
  11. roscoe36

I don't see either of them starting for a team that plays much better than .500 ball.
  12. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Their earning justify, last time I checked and found that together they make less than 1/20 of Pistons team salary.
    C'mon Stuckey, c'mon Will, I know you both can do better than that.
  13. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Two Lakers player earn less than Stuckey, ie Mbenga & Josh Powell. Ain't no saying salary validates their performance but my heart tells me that as a team or individually, we're ain't at their level.
  14. max

max All-Star

Maybe he picked the wrong area to cost cut in. Meanwhile we have 2 shooting guards making a combined 23 mil with one not doing squat. It does not justify it.
  15. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Having talked to many Laker fans, Fisher shouldn't be starting either. He is not a good basketball player. He is shooting under 40% this year. Yes, he is a great clutch shooter, but his defense has declined vociferously and he's only a valuable player in the last two minutes of a game. Otherwise... complete garbage.

If there were ever "politics" going on, it's Derick Fisher keeping his starting spot over clearly better players. Shannon Brown/Jordan Farmar are easily superior players and given that they've both been with LA for awhile now, I think they could handle the minimal point guard duties that are required in the triangle.
  16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Again, that's highly dependent on what players are on the team. If you give Stuckey an all star teammate or two, he could absolutely be a good starter on a contending team. I don't view Stuckey as a number one guy, but I think he could possibly be a #2 in the future and certainly a good third option.

I think saying Stuckey couldn't start on a contending team is awfully myopic. There have been plenty players worse than him that have started on championship teams (Tayshaun Prince in 04, Bruce Bowen for example). We don't live in a day and age where teams have all stars at every position. Title teams start role players all the time. And I think a guy like Stuckey is a little better than a role player.
  17. Brap

Brap Starter

If he's healthy, then I predict he'll keep developing and will, in a few years be every bit as good/great a player as Chauncey became. He's way ahead of Billups curve now.
  18. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

Well Stuckey will be the starting PG for the pistons..No doubt. But using the word LEGITIMATE PG at this point of time is way too much.. Maybe If he does really improves as what people have been judging him.Its not the hate but just my opinion...
  19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If all has to do with the politics of who starts and who doesn't, I don't think it is a real issue on the Laker squad. Phil is in charge and Farmar and Brown play along in the system without egos trying to trump each other. With that being said Fisher is in there for stability if any thing and like you said maybe in crunch time because both his FT and three point shooting is better than the other two. With that being said, those two get it done with less minutes and that shoot just as much as Fish but with a better % from the field.

Fish is now 35 years old...depending how much more medical/heath care is required for his daughter, this may be his last year whether he retires with or 5 rings.
  20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's amazing that Phil Jackson has started Fisher in over 270 straight games even though "he is not a good basketball player."