1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Will Bynum: Starting Point Guard?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by tads, Mar 13, 2010.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Following the train of logic I have seen advanced here, the coach knows more than us (and apparently Lakers fans), so if he is starting for Phil, then anyone who disagrees is wrong.

Also, if someone else on the Lakers was better, that other guy would be starting. Period.

That is because Phil is not more concerned with politics than putting the best players on the floor to win games...

I'm paraphrasing some of the arguments I have read recently and applying them equally to Fisher as they are applied to Bynum.

2. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

He isn't. I'm sorry, but he just isn't.

He's been a solid starter for many years, but that ship sailed last year and he's continued to decline by a lot this year.

I'll venture to say that Fisher is the worst starting player in the NBA.

3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I think the biggest thing we should be keeping in mind when we are assessing Bynum's recent good play, and this is something that KGREG has pointed out, is who Bynum was playing next to. He's doing great as a starter because he's playing next to Rip, and not Gordon. The bench unit with a Bynum/Gordon back court consistently digs us into big holes, with no fault to either player. That's just not a good pairing. These recent games just show that Bynum/Rip complement each other very well.

This has been stated numerous times, but Will/Rip and Stuck/Gordon back courts are decent combos. It doesn't matter which tandem starts or which one comes off the bench really. Our problem is the inability to separate the Rip & Stuckey back court since they both have to start (due to primadonnaism and politics).

In my perfect world, we'd start with Stuckey/Gordon/Prince/JJ/Wallace and have Bynum/Rip/Daye/CV/JMax come off the bench.

4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You took the words right out of my mouth and expressed them much more eloquently than I would have.

5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No doubt. Just because a guy doesn't put up gaudy offensive numbers doesn't mean he isn't valuable. With Fisher starting every game, the Lakers have been the best team in the Western Conference for 3 straight years. If "he is not a good basketball player", I'm sure Coach Jackson would have replaced him with one by now. When your backcourt mate is putting up 28 points a game, your role is to compliment, and that's what Fisher does.

7. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

The Lakers can get away with starting Fisher because they are immensely talented at multiple positions on the floor. They are the ONLY team that could get away with starting Fisher.

I'm not saying he doesn't bring some leadership qualities (and he can still hit the big clutch shot), but he is simply NOT a good basketball player anymore. The (horrible) stats only reinforce that... I've watched him plenty this year.

8. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Cliffnotes:

Jackson don't plays his best players.
    Quester plays his best players.
    Alas, Quester > Jackson

:)

9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Thank you, that's all I'm saying, I've never said that Will was better than Stuckey, I've never said Will should start over Stuckey, but to not even entertain the thought well.......

The fact remains that we still need a PG in the worse way, we need a band conductor like yesterday, because as of right now a bunch of individual brass players blowing their own horns sound like a bunch of noise.

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Add a young PG and a young scoring big man and at least we have a playoff team next year with some future promise:

PG _________, Bynum
    SG Stuckey, Gordon
    SF Daye, Summers
    PF Jerebko, Maxiel
    C _________, Wallace

11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I don't know Laim, I think we are another lottery trip or three away from putting together a playoff team.

12. roscoe36

One decent acquisition and some health, and we are back in this.

All of the teams which are worse than us don't look like they will dramatically improve this offseason except maybe NY.

And if NY improves, it may come by weakening one of the teams in front of us.

What concerns me, is to get back into second in the division. That means burying Milwaukee and Chicago in particular. Milwaukee and Chicago both look decent at the 1 and the 5. They are ahead of us in that regard.

13. Brap

Brap Starter

"Back in it" is possible after we sort out our roster a little and add a true big man to anchor the paint -- but it's also relative. We've a very young team, so even if we add a great player from the draft this year and next, we're likely going to take a few seasons to develop our core guys (Stuckey, the 3 rookies, Gordon, the 2010 and 2011 picks, plus whoever we get or keep for/among Tay/Rip/Maxiell/CV).

Champions are both assembled and developed over time.

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

And that's why I think it'll take a while. We don't have a PG, we don't have a potential all-star upfront, and we don't have a #1 option, we have a team full of 2nd and 3rd option type players. I don't see us getting any of these needs filled anytime soon. The best thing we can do is develop these 3 rookies right now.

You know it's funny, if we would really focus on the rooks, we'd have a BIG and versatile lineup on the floor, but because of the decisions made by mgmt we end up playing a ton of midget ball....go figure.

15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Darn right it'll take a while. Nothing is happening this summer. With the contracts that expire this summer, we'll have $6.5M freed up. If Wilcox exercises his PO, then you're looking at $3.5M. We are less than $1M under the cap right now, so we have little to no money to spend this summer. We have two rookie contracts from the draft and Bynum to resign. That's where all the money will go to. Maybe, just maybe we'll have enough left over to resign Big Ben. So next year we're back to where we are now.

In 2011, we have Tay & Wilcox expiring, but so do Stuckey, Daye, JJ and Summers. So, we'll have some spending to do there as well.

In 2012, we only have JMax expiring. That might bring us another complimentary piece.

In 2013, we have Gordon, Rip and CV expiring for close to a whopping $30M. Post new CBA, that probably will be enough to land 2 top tier players easily. We don't know yet as to who those players will be, but we'll be major players in that market regardless.

So, as Brap has said over and over and over, in 2014 we'll be in a position to be in the hunt for a 'ship.

The next 3 seasons will suck. We're a lottery team again next year, and a first round exit the two years after that. Hopefully, this will translate into the Pistons dominating the East for 2014-2020.

16. roscoe36

Good analysis Walter.

I'm thinking another discussion may be in order.

Does Joe sign guys to short deals, so he can have the most cap space available under the new CBA, does he hope there is a grandfathering option, such as allowed Michael Finley to go to the Spurs a couple years ago, or does he try to lock up guys now, and hope the (expected) smaller cap makes makes him an equal player in the new CBA league?

17. Brap

Brap Starter

PISTONS: 'A Bright Future'

Really nice article on Summers from our developmental coach. He reiterates what we've been saying - all 3 rookies can play together.

I disagree about Stuckey. I think there's no reason he can't develop into a Billups level PG. I'd love to see us draft a legit center, and have Stuckey, the 3 rooks and the drafted center as our core guys, with Gordon off the bench plus whoever we get for Tay.

18. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:
    Yes, Comrade!
    [​IMG]

19. Brap

Brap Starter

What's the issue? Those people sure look like they adore Stalin.

20. max

max All-Star

Yes, its not going to be as easy as in 02 where they went from 32 wins to 50 wins in that weak conference. That 01-02 team probably would have won what 42-46 games in this stronger East - and lost in the 1st round.