Will Bynum: Starting Point Guard?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by tads, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Salaries may drop off in the future. The Pistons may have good young talent. But will Joe make the right moves??? :stirthepot:
  2. Brap

Brap Starter

...Yes.
  3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This should be a poll question. Seriously. Straight up yes or no. It would interesting to definitively see what we as a forum think.
  4. raxrets

raxrets Starter

in hindsight this forum knows the best. :hoops:
  5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Always! :pound::pound::pound:
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

So Stuckey came off the bench and put up major numbers in his return vs Indiana. I honestly think this is the most ideal situation for our team. In the 2nd half of the season when most of our key pieces began to filter back from the land of the IR List, one good thing began to happen, we started playing quite well in the 1st qtr of games, with just a few exceptions, and no matter who the starting PG was that held true.

The problem has come when we bring our high priced $19,000,000.00 bench into the game, they typically blow leads or put is into a big hole. That unit is defensively challenged to say the least, Will/BG/Daye/CV and Max. Max is pretty good, and has actually shown that on this team he can hold his own most nights as the starting center. Daye is OK- just gets a little lost out there sometimes. Will/CV/BG.....not so good, even though Will is pretty good on the ball, his backup D doesn't have his back.

But against Indy the Bench came through BIG TIME! Stuckey came through BIG TIME! That unit looked 100x's better with Stuckey running with it. Stuckey still stuffed the stat sheet and got major mins, he also looked a whole lot fresher down the stretch than he normally does, and he also was more sure of himself, maybe because he got a chance to see the ebb and flow of the game before entering, I don't know just a thought. Stuckey/Gordon is a much, much, much better guard combo than Will and Bengo; and since Rip will NEVER go to the bench........maybe Stuckey should........at least until we balance out this roster.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

You make a lot of good points here, but I wouldn't move Stuckey to the bench until he was re-signed to a big long term contract.
  8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Then the 2nd unit can get lots of work in digging out of double digit deficit's. The reason the team looked better with Rodney on the floor is that they were playing defense, which Bynum does not seem capable of.

I don't think you bench the 2 guards you're looking to have as featured pieces on this team for the long haul (Stuck and BG). Those are probably the 2 pieces you have the most riding on at this point. To bench them just to let Rip freelance doesn't sound like a direction for a rebuilding team.

On to next season... Move Rip, Start BG and Stuck. Ditch Charlie V, get a big who you can count on for points in the paint, and start playing the kids (Daye/Summers).
  9. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Without Stuck in the starting line up we are getting hammered to start games. Maybe the team looks so much better when Stuck comes in because unless Rip is hitting his J; the starters look awful.

Rip is the main weapon with Wil starting and Wil is not going to take any defensive pressure off of Rip. It may make more sense if we also started (I cringe) CV to help bring more offense to that first unit.

I like what Summers was able to do yesterday.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Starting your best players is an antiquated notion FP22. This isn't 2009. Next you'll be expecting all the players to have specific positions.
  11. Kidstealth

Kidstealth First Round Draft Pick

Something I have been saying for quite a while, I'm not entirely sure why, but not only do we look better with those two in the back court, but they play better individually. They compliment each other a lot better and Ben can drive as well, which takes some of the pressure on Stuckey and the defense has to be prepared for someone else to drive.
  12. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

So... why don't we start Stuckey and Gordon and have Bynum/Hamilton coming off the bench?
  13. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Remember that Rip does not like to come off the bench. Rips team.
  14. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Ah, of course. How could I forget about Rip the prima donna and his unwillingness to come off the bench.
  15. Kidstealth

Kidstealth First Round Draft Pick

No idea. That is something I have advocated for a while. That's what really worked at the beginning of the year too, when we were close to .500 and battling teams to the finish.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Is it me or was he the only player on the team that didn't look happy while the team made a run to get back in the game with him on the bench?
  17. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Well, he gave the taynk his all with 0 points and his teammates almost blew it so I can see why he wasnt too happy. :)
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Of course! how could I have overlooked the valiancy of such an effort......
  19. raxrets

raxrets Starter

from official pistons chat:

eat it, folks.
  20. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

If he keeps playing like this he'll be lucky to be on the active list.

(I would assume that most of the talks in this thread refer to next season, where Rip would hopefully be gone since we're probably better off putting garbage lineups out there for these last few games)