1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Will Herrmann Become the Next Dupree?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Dec 16, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

As far as I know Herrmann is almost entirely a #3.

I don't see him getting in ahead of Hayes.

So that puts him where Dupree was as #3 on the small forward depth chart and also possibly in street clothes unless there we have another player out due to injury, illness, suspension etc.

:hoops:

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The most important thing for a player on the inactive list is to have great hair. While Dupree maintained his in a very professional manner, Herrmann is one of the all time greats.

3. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

If Hayes keeps playing like he is right now for any extended period of time, he should at least get a chance.

4. buddahfan

Maybe this will help light a fire under Hayes. Kind of like what happened with Jordon Farmar after the Lakers drafted Crittenton. The day after he was drafted Farmar was at the Lakers gym working out at something like 6:00 AM. You can obviously see the positive affect that has had on his game this year vs his rookie year.

Crittenton is going to be one heck of a player. I have seen play maybe 3 or 4 games for the Lakers this year. He is an excellent ball handler and passer and likes to take it to the rack and convert at a high rate.

His game has some similarities to Broken Hand's except that Hot Rod is a bigger and stronger in a meaningful way. Crittenton however is a better passer than Hot Rod.

5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I hope not. He's better than Brezec. I know Brezec's a 7 footer and all, but i don't think he's needed unless we are playing a big center.

Amir had shown he's more than ready to be the 4th big off the bench.

6. buddahfan

The only way we would play Herrmann on the floor with Tay is if we used Tay at a guard position.

I doubt we would play Hayes and Herrmann together.

I just don't see where he fits in the rotation unless Tay or Hayes gets hurt.

7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

On the other hand, Dupree is a great dresser. Hermann however has displayed that he can rip his clothes off like no one else.

8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I see your point, but with Hayes playing not so great lately; i think Hermann should at least get a chance to see if he's a better back-up for Tay.

Although, i don't mind all Hayes' extra minutes going to Afflalo if he continues to not play as well :)

I watched Hermann's insane stretch last year, and he can flat out shoot the 3. He should definately at least be on the active list for a few games.

9. buddahfan

I agree, I think that there may be certain situations (games) where we could benefit more his skills than Murray's, who didn't play again today despite the blowout.

It will interesting to see who goes to street clothes when Hot Rod is activated. I would think it would be between Murray and Hunter. Tough for me to call that one at this time.

10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If hayes keeps throwing up bricks, then Flip will give Fabio a chance to play.. The problem with Hayes, he is a shoot first pass later type of guy or sort of a long range microwave...he needs to settle down and pass it around and move around so he is available for both long and short range shots and stop hanging outside the arc. Dude got to learn some defense too.

Has anybody seen fabio on the defensive end yet??

11. buddahfan

There is another option once Hot Rod comes back and starts getting serious minutes.

AA could back up Tay. While he is an inch or two shorter than some of the top #3 guys, his defense and fundamentals are it seems to me to be good enough to play the #3.

That would leave Hot Rod backing up both C-Bill and Rip.

I don't think that this scenario will happen but it could.

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

In my opinion, neither of the new guys should get into the rotation. And Amir Johnson should be Tay's primary backup. Amir is about twice as quick as either Hayes or Herrmann.

13. buddahfan

AJ is not a small forward. Never has been and never will.

He is right now playing behind Sheed, at least in blow outs.

14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

i don't remember too much about his defense, but i don't recall him ever getting lit up. He was not really good or bad in the games i saw.

He tries hard though. He hustles, and he plays like most of the Arg players in the NBA; all out. I remember a game against MIA last year, he hit clutch shots to put that game away and didn't look intimidated at all.

15. Mrcina

Mrcina First Round Draft Pick

I've seen about 15-20 games of Herrmann when he has played for Argentina national team, he was their best defender - he didn't try to shoot much, he reminded me on Ben Wallace a lot, usually scoring on his own offensive rebounds and doing that quite often.
    So I could not believe my eyes, when he started shooting threes for Bobcats and making 20+ a game on a daily basis, after he finally got his chance in the second half of the last season.
    I think he is definitely better replacement for Prince than Hayes.
    When Hayes doesn't shoot well (as lately), he has nothing much to show.

16. buddahfan

He may remind you of Ben Wallace, but that is pretty darn funny. There hair styles are nothing alike. LOL

It is possible that he could get a shot at replacing Hayes.

17. buddahfan

From DraftExpress last year.

If he was a role player in Europe......

We need a lot more from Tay's backup than throwing up a bunch of threes. What we need is a Bowen type guy who can come in shut down the opponent's #3, guys like Lebron.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/The-Top-Overseas-Free-Agents-on-the-2006-Market-(Part-One)-1394/

18. Mrcina

Mrcina First Round Draft Pick

I meant attitude above all - I think Pistons could get back some of it with Herrmann. Of course, I believe in his skills too.

19. buddahfan

If he can cut it with us then all the more power to him.

Of course you know that there has never been a player who played his younger years in Europe or S. America that has ever cut it with the Pistons.

There have been a couple that lasted two years, Okur and Delfino (actually 3 for Delfino) but did not get major minutes and then were eventually not resigned or traded.

The Pistons whole approach including the player culture is so different from players with a European background that we have never been able to successfully incorporate one into our lineup.

I would say that Herrmann's odds are very very long of succeeding with the Pistons unless there is a major injury to Tay or Hayes and he is able to put up some awesome numbers and play Pistons style defense.

20. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Think that might happen on the way to the finals? Better yet, or in the finals?