Will Herrmann Become the Next Dupree?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Dec 16, 2007.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Na. Celtics don't have a C (except in their name). Either do the Spurs. Suns, nope.

Dwight Howard is the only one, and Primo won't do much against that force of nature.

2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

What makes a small forward. In an earlier post, you suggested Afflalo could play small forward. He ain't one either. Hayes is too slow for the position, yet he plays there. We use to play Corliss there, even though he was far far too slow for small forward, and never really could establish an outside shot.

How about Dennis Rodman. No outside shot, at least we never let him shoot. No offensive game at all other than dunking on fast breaks. And yet he played many games for us, even starting them, at small forward. On a championship team no less. A back to back championship team.

Amir Johnson, being taller, and much quicker, than Hayes, certainly can defend the position, and therefore, most certainly can backup Tay at small forward.

Amir would give us far better rebounding, far better transition D, and a far better post up player vs. Hayes. Outside shooting? Hayes has hit one outside shot in the past month, yet he plays the position. Sure Hayes can shoot an outside shot, but that one fact hardly makes him a better choice vs. Amir at small forward. Amir beats him in every other phase of the game. (And believe it or not, Amir has range on his jumper, even if we don't yet let him shoot the ball.)

Lets go back to the Rodman comparison. Rodman was awesome on defense. Amir has the tools to be just as good. The difference: Amir has a tremendous offensive game. Just wait and see what happens when he begins to play. (And I certainly hope that was today)

3. Mrcina

Mrcina First Round Draft Pick

I don't understand. There is no need for complaining.
    There is a FREE alternative for JHayes, who should be an offensive weapon (with his 4years 40% fg average??) and sucks defensively.
    WH got just a few chances so far and used them well enough.
    He already has 30 pt, 6 from 8 3p, 10 reb career highs.
    Last week he made 10pt (4-8fg, 2-5 for 3), 4reb, 2st in 16 min against Pistons.
    Wouldn't be better to give him a chance first?

4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons fans are spoiled. We need to come back down to earth a little.

5. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I am not complaining and even if I was that is a fan's right. Here,I am just making observations about a new Pistons player. The fact that I don't think he will ever crack the Pistons regular rotation and post arguments in attempt to support that position does not mean I am complaining.

I love to see all Pistons succeed with us even those who it seems to me have a very marginal chance of it.

Now if Herrman is our #13 guy for the remainder of the year and Joe resigns him to anything other than a one year deal, I will complain.

Or if Herrmann gets playing time and doesn't play well but continues to get minutes then I will complain, but not so much about him as about Flipper playing someone who in my opinion shouldn't be playing.

As of now I am just making some observations and bringing some opinions about his game.

It takes a lot more skills to be able to crack the Pistons rotation than being able to shoot a 3 point shot with above average accuracy.

We shall see. Hopefully he who plays best, plays the most.

:hoops:

6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Yea, i don't see there being much of a need outside of Yao, Howard, and maybe Shaq, even if it's only for the purpose of having six extra fouls.

Perkins/Big baby; J-Max could match up with them.

According to Brezec he's a defensive force, so we'll see LOL

7. buddahfan

Maybe Herrmann and Brezec are afraid of him. Then again I would not want to personally get between Dunkin Dwight and the basket either.

ESPN - TrueHoop

8. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Listening to Flip, he doesn't sound too thrilled to have Hermann. Which means, Flip in his best passive aggressive stance, will not even bother to play Wally. Why risk having someone else look better than J. Hayes?

Over/under, Wally plays less than 50 minutes the rest of the season, unless Joe D has a personal talk with Flip.

Starting to wonder though, what does Joe do? He can't let Flip go into next year as a lame duck. So when does the axe fall?

9. Mrcina

Mrcina First Round Draft Pick

OK, nobody is complaining...
    I just wanted to say, that Pistons fans should look hopefully on any eventual JHayes upgrade, especially freeone.

10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Personally I'm loving the Hermann pick up, for that reason. If Hermann can provide more consistency than Jarvis then I welcome the opportunity to Jarvis' shirt and blazer collection. Remember when we traded for Sheed a few years ago we got a guy who was just kind of "thrown in" named Mike James and the Pit-Bulls were born. If Hermann is a SF player who is very strong, physical and hustles with aggression, then I want to see him in conjunction with Maxiel BADLY.

11. buddahfan

Are you talking about a new linebacker for the Lions?

12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Wouldn't it be nice if the Lions had one like that. But seriously that's the billing on Fabio.....Strong, good shooter, and plays with alot of hustle. If he can do those things then I would love to see him as the backup SF....can you imagine a guy like that on the court with Maxiel.....Geez o petes man. They'd probably eat 2nd units for dinner on some nights.

13. buddahfan

If he can play defense to our standards then by all means let him get the minutes.

14. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

As an aside.

JD is loading up positions (sometimes luck links connections in your favor) in order to get in his comfort zone. By this I mean, he can now play to his strength, which is his talent for comparison at certain team-associative positions or specifically at times, the position.

OK, lets look at one position: the three (3) spot. He now can compare: Tay, Hayes, Amur (unless he can add 30 pounds), and Herrmann.

You might say (with obvious confidence), that this is a no contest: all must follow Tay. Perhaps...unless of course, the real mind's eye is focused on bench strength, which might help build confidence in a trade-rotation change. In the sunset of the evening, the inevitable tide must follow. The order is part-whole. Your three spot is the gatekeeper for constant external and internal flows.

Aside #2:

If I was Tay, I would motivate myself for a minimum nights work of a double-double. Most followers would be happy with the 14.3 and some might wink at the plus 5 rebounds. For me, I will take your 14.3, but not the 5 rebounds. I want to see double the effort for the latter. We are not talking physical effort, but mental. Is this asking too much?

Consistency is the essence of persistence. It is a matter of drawing a line. In drawing that line you mark a being of presence. You say, here is my line and the over-line is the unknown, an abyss. This is a way to stand quiet leadership (or an individual stance) on it's head. The veil of leadership is translucent and never overt. Most think power as a form of directional leadership and obvious control writ large. Real power (and lasting) is the power to hurt, but not to hurt.

Are you up to it?

15. max

max All-Star

Don't give the Palace staff any ideas. Their cheeseness knows no bounds.

16. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Maybe Tay could come off the bench (playing the same minutes but against different people) and be 1st option for 60% of while he is in. Have Hayes or whoever fill minutes and be 5th shooting option while he's out.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Flip Saunders said that Herrmann is a 4/3.

It doesn't matter what we think he is. If Flip thinks he's a 4/3, then he will play him at either one of those positions.

18. pass99

Rethink this: there is no option of coming off the bench.

19. pass99

You can think all you want...he is going in as a 3. JMax is a clean-cut worker with lunch-pail-in-hand.

Herrmann has his essence. If he can produce, good high cheek bones have their place.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Herrmann is in for a rude awakening. Sad really.

MLive.com: Everything Michigan

Here it's different alright. Try 3 minutes, 0 minutes, sportscoat for 5 games minutes...