Will the Donaghy scandal help the Pistons?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Jul 31, 2007.

?

Will the Donaghy case help the Pistons get fairer calls?

1. It will immediately effect how the game is called, and the Pistons will benefit

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. The game will be called almost the same, Pistons slightly benefit

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. The case will be forgotten soon.The NBA still has suspect reffing, Pistons don't benefit

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Will the Donaghy case help the Pistons get fairer treatment against teams like Miami and Cleveland? I already showed a thread with a video of an ECF where the calls were absolutely ridiculous. Will this case help stop those types of calls?
  2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

We need to promote a superstar.

Joe D. needs to hire a top PR man to promo Hot Rod and AJ. They are young athletic and very talented.

If they can get promoted to where they are popular with the masses then we have a chance to get better calls against the Lebron, Durants, Wades, Odens etc.

:hoops:
  3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I agree. Stars are making money, and Stern is not going to go into a panic mode. They will try to tighten it a bit, but that's as much as I'd expect them to do.
  4. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Well said Buddha. this is what I never understood about Joe. He said he built a team without starts, but I argue he just didn't want to make a star. Excluding guys like Lebron and Oden/Durant, there are plenty of guys coming out of college without all the hoopla that can now be considered stars with a lot of credit going to PR. Look at Wade. From a production standpoint he is not that much better than say Rip, but he has been heavily marketed. This is clearly a hyperbole comparing Rip vs. Wade, but my point is Joe has an opportunity to make Stuckey and AJ starts. Stuckey especially since he came from a small school etc. and can play the Wade against all odds angle.
  5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

See this is why I'm falling out of love with NBA ball. We can't just be a better team, we have to promote stars now?

The Lakers didn't have to promote Magic Johnson, he just was. Same with Bird, Zeke, even Jordan, and Olajuwon. I'm really getting tired of this and if this is what Det needs to do to win, why even bother.

I have no interest in winning just by getting a bunch of BS calls. That's not winning. I want this team to be champions because they are champions and actually BETTER than their opponenets. Does anyone here really want a paper title like Wade got?
  6. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

The scandal will hurt the Pistons because out stars will no longer benefit from getting the superstar advantage.............
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Low you of all people should know the "Stars" get the calls. If it is just one at crunch time, that should be all that's needed.
    The money and popularity a "Star" can bring to the league is a benefit to all. [except the team that pays his monstrous wage]
    The positive vibes CB golf tournament had is the kind of thing that could spell favoritism to him and his team.
    Sorry it's just the way it is.
    P.S. I just want to see Sheed get some love this season. This ref thing should vindicate him.
  8. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

The two most influential off court personalities that help build the NBA into what it is today were

Johnny Most and Chick Hearn.

Johnny Most
    Johnny Most - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chick Hearn was "Mr. Entertainment". Showtime couldn't have had a better PR man than Hearn.

[​IMG]

Chick Hearn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:hoops:
  9. Pwn Toney

Yes, I'm well aware of the PR personalities of each team. However, that's irrelevant to the league offices using their ad campaigns to push stars over teams. That's like saying Zeke was huge because we had Blaha hyping it up. Hardly a factor when you consider the talent that Thomas portrayed. Additionally, no one every felt like Magic got a title handed to him, nor, were they left feeling like Magic could spend the entire night at the line while they were lucky to get a shot off (a la Wade).
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah when I move to LA in 1980, Chic was in charge and that dude loved his Lakers more than Blaha loves the Pistons, more than J-Most love the C's and even more than Vin Scully loves his Dodgers.

He made me become an instant Laker lover because of all of his Chick-isms that sold Showtime. The city was so in love the Lakers that most didn't care that Rams and Raiders had skipped town....The Clips still get the back page even when they have better record. Magic and Kareem were already superstars, but Worthy or "Big Game James" was born under Chic's oratory regime...
    :focus:
    ..Like I said because of Chic promoted the showtime superstars, I loved them Lakers too and didn't start hating them until the Pistons came to prominence in 1988 and we were beaten by the refs because the Lakers had 3 superstars to our 1. :sssh:
  11. max

max All-Star

Absolutly it will help the Pistons.

The NBA as we knew it will never be the same.

Its hard for me to get too excited on how many mins Afflo will play when this is going on. This is going to be huge.
  12. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

At best, less calls are made overall in the league. I think a team like ours benefits from less calls because our team cohesion and flow can be overwhelming when it is not interrupted/slowed by foul calls. Not to mention the decrease in Sheed flame ups as a result of less calls...

At worst, we'll see more of the same, only with a promising slasher like Stuckey, we might be able to pick up more of those calls down the stretch.
  13. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Stern is screwed. He's spent the past 10 years living off a Jordan's shove in the butt, to get his game winning shot, no call; and loving it. Now whether the ref was told not to call anything on Jordan, short of murder or not, that kind of reffing blossumed in the Shaq era, and Stern loved it.

So does he kill the golden goose? Or start having games called straight? One thing, if Stern ran the MLB, no way the Tigers or Yankees wouldn't have won last year.
  14. max

max All-Star

Before Jordan there was Bird and Magic getting all the calls. This started when he started.

There a difference now, its much harder to get away with anything with Utube and such. Plus Bird,Jordan, etc.. did not design their games around getting calls as much as Wade/Lebran do. They were great players who just always got the benefit of doubt with some bailouts here and there.
  15. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm not old enough to remember too much about that, but I do distinctly remember hearing a lot of disgust with the way Jordan consistently succeeded in whining his way to good calls, especially in the playoffs. Maybe it was just sour grapes, and I do admit, though, that it is better than watching someone get it handed to them on a silver platter.
  16. max

max All-Star

Overall I would say that Bird got more calls than Jordan. Jordan got a lot more calls later in his career when he was slowing down. He did not get many when he was younger.

The difference between then and now I think is at least Stern used to wait until he actually had a superstar before he started giving him calls.
  17. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Poetry to my ears! :pound: :pound: :pound:

And the next moment... :crying: :crying: :crying: SAD BUT TRUE!!!
  18. Pwn Toney

This right here is exactly the problem with Stern. Those guys started getting superstar calls when Stern came to power. O'brien, the previous commissioner wasn't so interested in shoving individual players down our throats. There was more team marketing in the early 80's before Stern was brought in.
  19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I remember Delfino drawing an obvious charge on Wade once, of course the refs called it a blocking foul though. The announcers explanation was that Delfino is young and has not "proven" himself yet... What is that? How about the ref just calls the right foul?
  20. max

max All-Star

In Jordans defense (Not that I am a big Jordan fan or anyhing) earlier in his career he was boned in Boston/LA just like everyone was back then. He came into the league in 1984 and it was not until around 1989 that he started getting preferiential treatment. At least from what I can recall. Part of his frusteration with the Pistons was that he did not get any calls. At least not until the 89-90 series.

The 1986 Celtics only lost 1 or 2 games at home and were only .500 on the road.