Will The Lack of A Legitimate Big Man Put Us At A Disadvantage During The Playoffs?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Feb 10, 2008.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

If we get to the NBA Finals this year and meet up with the Lakers, Spurs or Suns, do we have enough big men to throw at these teams.

AJ will basically get thrown around like a rag doll, Sheed & Dice CANNOT play 40+ minutes a game to contain the likes of Shaq and Duncan. Pau can consistently draw you out of the paint and he knocks down those three's consistently. I think we can pretty much guard Pau out on the perimeter.

I understand Shaq is old, but if Phoenix somehow makes it to the finals, we may find a rejuvenated Shaq, that doesn't bode well for the Pistons.

I know, I know, we beat Shaq and Kobe in 04, however, the Lakers did not have the firepower of the Suns.

We need to find that cheap big man who can clog the middle, block some shots and play some defense. Really don't have to score much, but give us 10-12 quality minutes.
  2. cdecember

cdecember First Round Draft Pick

Re: Will The Lack of A Legitimate Big Man Put Us At A Disadvantage During The Playoff

I agree with dyess and sheed not playing huge minutes. I believe that we can handle the lakers even with the starting line that they...and on paper it looks great with bynum, gasol, and odom as the front court and fisher and kobe in the backcourt. but who knows they might not be able to all play together...actually I think odom might have a problem not getting the ball a whole lot.

the spurs/pistons games are always fun to watch in the sence that i love watching the NOSE flop all over the place...also did you hear that tony parkers wifey told the press that he facts injuries so he gets a foul in his favor? yeah shes a dummy. sorry I digressed. I like the match up of duncan against sheed. that is always good to watch. and in the end I think we can win the series.

The suns, however, are a different monster. With getting rid of marion they lose a very good defender and scorer. what they gain is a 36 year old giant with health issues...of course when they playoffs come shaq could actually be a threat if...and I mean its a big IF...he is healthy. with nash and amare, the suns are always a good team but just because they have shaq does that really make them a contender...some say he is washed up...others say he still has some left. I think he has very little left in the tank...but with rest he could come and actually bring it in the finals...that is if the suns can knock off the spurs or the mavs.

I still Hope that the Hornets make it to the finals...that would be one of the best finals I have ever seen.
  3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Re: Will The Lack of A Legitimate Big Man Put Us At A Disadvantage During The Playoff

do not forget that shaq is not able to play 40+ minutes. Your fear is based on false assumption that opponents starting bigs are able to play 40+ QUALITY minutes. Maybe Duncan, but only maybe. Maybe your secret motive was that proven vet, able to defend and rebound for 5+minutes could replace Brezec then yeah, I'd like that too
  4. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Pau has not given us problem over the past few years, so I don't he can give us problem now just because he plays for the Lakers. We can still defend him single coverage. Well, with Bynum, I don't really know but let's discuss this again if they can get into the WCF.

As for Duncan, we know what Sheed can do to him.

Sheed and Dice will play at least 36 min a game in the playoffs unless there is a blowout game. No way Flip will play them less than 30 minutes in a hotly contested game unless they are in foul trouble. But can Shaq play more than 32 minutes a game running with the Suns and avoiding foul trouble as well as being effective? Answer is NO WAY!
  5. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I don't know what team you are talking about.

Sheed is not only a legit big man at 7' plus even though he is only listed at 6'11", but one of the best in the whole league.

It is just a matter of how much he wants to set up down low on offense. When he goes down low he is as good as there is in the league.

Have a nice day.

:hoops:
  6. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

That's the million dollar question? Will Sheed play consistently in the Low Blocks. I bet you a bottom dollar to a donut that he will spend a lot of time planting himself over near or at the 3 point line guaransheed.
  7. buddahfan

You may be correct.

We will just have to wait and see how it plays out.

8. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I favor this direction. Just like Radar Love shifting gears, the Suns will adapt for longer mileage instead of quick starts off the line. The Suns will have the rest of the season to adjust and let us not forget, that during the playoffs: it mostly comes down to consistent engine revving, breaks and finishing against the other's strength.
  9. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Our opponents will measure our effort during the playoffs. In the later rounds, they will just play hard enough to beat us. I'm not expecting a solid effort during the playoff run. A legit effort is more important than a big man to this bunch............
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't think you alter your roster based on who you might play in the NBA Finals. The chance that the Pistons make it to the Finals is less than 50%. There are lots of teams in the West (Lakers, Mavs, Jazz, Spurs, Suns, Nuggets, Hornets) that could make it to the Finals. If you start worrying about Finals match-ups, you'll never make it there.
  11. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Maybe not the Finals, however, you do alter your roster based on who you might play in the playoffs, teams do it all the time.
  12. buddahfan

Trade deadline is approaching.

I haven't heard any rumors yet.

13. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

And when you belive dumars then no major trades. Maybe Murray and/or Brezec but for them you can't get quality.
  14. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Are we talking a Kelvin Cato-like big man?
  15. whatever_gong82

whatever_gong82 First Round Draft Pick

I wish we could get Mike Miller of Memphis and/or Thomas from Seattle. If we could somehow get both without breaking up our valuable young players or Starters, that would solve two problems that the Pistons currently have: 1) A big to help tighten up the interior defense and 2) A sharp shooting bench guy :gun1: that can produce quick points when the Pistons need them, and can also spell Prince or Rip for a stretch.
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was just answering Armygirl's questions about trying to match up with the Lakers, Spurs, and Suns.
  17. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Not possible. No one would give up rotation players for our scrubs.
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Army I hear ya...I don't know if I should be concerned or worried about our possible lack of biggie. It scares me that the western teams are reacting, but the big 4 in the east are staying pat with what they got and none specifically the Pistons have grabbed that x-factor that would make a difference in both ECF and Finals. But if we can 't make a deal, lets just keep doing what we are doing right now by getting the youth more involved and getting the perennial burnout starters some rest.
  19. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

We had plenty of big men the last couple years, and it hasn't gotten us past the ECF. I'm more concerned about our energy, perimeter defense, and shooting percentage.
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I don't think the line between us and the title rests with a 3rd tier big man.
    For crying out loud people, would you please get a grip on reality. GM's dont just give away a good Big Man for absolutely nothing.....Oh wait, I forgot about Memphis......