Will the Lions reach 500?

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Buckeyes#1, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Over the last couple of years, I have been pretty excited about the Lions chances to at least make the playoffs when it was training camp. I think I am much more guarded this year. Plus I am not totally thrilled with our qb situation. I do think we have a good shot at 8-8 this year though. Last year I think of the Lions as 7-9. I know we ended up 5-11 but two of those games were literally taken away. I think we just had some dumb luck last year. Maybe the last 40 years. I still wish we would have gone after Drew Brees. If not Drew, then Vince Young. I see Vince Young as the next Rodney White. Uhhh, I mean Michael Jordan. I think the biggest thing we have going for us this year is our coaching staff. If we can somehow survive our early schedule, then we have an excellent shot at getting back to 500.

2. cwolfson

cwolfson First Round Draft Pick

We had our pick of Jay Cutler or Matt Leinart (who went with the two picks right after ours, no doubt to the joy and amusement of Arizona and Denver) and instead took a concussion prone LB. Blech. Of course, the Lions painted themselves somewhat into a corner by signing both Kitna AND McCown to free agent deals. Kitna alone would have been fine to mentor one of the other two.

3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Regarding the QB situation, Mike Martz has been known to make crap into creme brule. See Kurt Warner. Hopefully, the emphasis on defense will propel this team to .500. The fans sure deserve it. Talk about long-suffering fans.

4. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Here is what all the lions offseason review websites have said about them:

Lions are the No. 1 laughingstock of the NFL, with five consecutive seasons of at least 10 losses.

Matt Millen, the CEO the fans revolted against late last year, is still around, but he has broomed the place in yet another effort to "get this right."

A Dallas Morning News survey revealed the Lions had the busiest off-season in the league with 15 free-agent signings and the loss of at least four starters.

This is a kind of humorous intro of the lions on sports illustrated::

It's been 10 U.S. presidents and 15 head coaches since the Detroit Lions last captured the NFL Championship. Super Bowls weren't even played then. Man did walk on two legs but had yet to walk on the moon. The Berlin Wall had not gone up, much less come down. Twelve cities boasted NFL franchises, two west of the Mississippi River. The year was 1957 and Elvis was king. Since then, the Lions have won one playoff game.

5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My high water mark for this coming season is .500. If we can hit that, I'll be satisfied. Anything above that is gravy in my books. Anything less will be a disappointment.

I'm like you guys, every year I get so pumped up and think "This is the year. FINALLY the roar is restored." But then it doesn't take very long to have my hopes crushed.

This season, I'm not only approaching it differently, but I'm also feeling much better about the team. Not record wise, but in their approach, attitude, dedication, energy and execution.

I think this coaching staff is EXACTLY what this team needs. From Martz's genius on O, to Donny's aggressiveness on D, to Lightning Rod's attendtion to detail.

However, I don't think it will happen over night either. We'll be better this season (which isn't too hard), but I can't see us challenging for a playoff spot just yet - although I really hope I'm wrong.

I think we're really see the fruits of their labour in 2-3 years.

6. bezeach

From this link right here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/preview/2006/teams/nfcn/detroit_lions.html

Also tells depth and where they sit right now...

7. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Will the Lions reach .500?? Let me see.... hmmmm...

1)New Rookie Coach
    2)2 retread QB's
    3)New offensive system
    4)Poor offensive line
    5)Fragile DB's and Linebackers
    6)Tough season schedule
    7)Matt Millen is still GM
    8) The Ford's still own the team

How can I say this... uhhhhh NOOOOOOOOOO
    We will not make it to .500 this season. We will be lucky to win 6 games.
    I hope I am wrong but I just don't see it. The moves made this off season were more geared to a team like the Seahawks. A team that already is good and just needed to add depth and minor tweaks. I disagree with this approach. We needed to add more talent than just going out getting mid-level players that are good to fill in for a few plays but are not up to the task of playing full time.

8. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I'll watch every crappy game anyway.

And I VERY rarely watch any other team.

How about you guys?

9. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Yeah same here. I watch every game, but it's tough :doh:

10. jammertime

I watch every pain staking second of Lions football.

I'll watch other games if the matchup is good.

11. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I still can't NOT watch them. I don't watch as much because I have to go out to the bar to see them, but I look forward to it every time. If the Lions ever win a Super Bowl during my lifetime, I'll fall down on my knees and cry like a baby. :Cry:

12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't enjoy feeling like a sucker. After almost 20 years as a fan, I backed off 2 years ago and if I am around, I watch. If they play poorly or are getting blown out, I stop watching.

I would watch Football all day on Sundays, but in recent years the Lions have soured me a bit on the game. I can't get behind another team, and frankly most of the other games on are the ones worth watching.

When the Lions get their organization right, it will be fun and not a nerve racking chore to watch every game.

13. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Well, I guess I should clarify myself.

I have every game on the television or the radio, if need be (we get them on FM here, and it's cool).

But I honestly can't say I watch every second.

I mean really, the Lions aren't exactly the type of team that keeps you glued to your seat.

You can go grab a soda from the fridge and miss an entire offensive possession.

14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

@ $200.00+ for the 15 games I'd watch, I question value.
    Then again what if KJones starts running by LBs?
    What if Kitna or any one stands in the pocket and delivers a scoring strike to a WR that pikes out for a finger tip grab?
    What if our LBs bust through the pocket and flatten QBs on a regular basis?
    What if our corners bat a few passes down? [ok, I know that's not going to happen, DAMN]

15. bezeach

16. roscoe36

What if we see the same crap we've been watching for 5 years?

17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

That's why I don't think you should expand the forums. All the real issues won't be Blue Skys. And you can't deal with anything not Blue Skys forever.

18. roscoe36

Whatever.

19. jammertime

20. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

TFD: "Then again what if KJones starts running by LBs?
    What if Kitna or any one stands in the pocket and delivers a scoring strike to a WR that pikes out for a finger tip grab?
    What if our LBsbust through the pocket and flatten QBs on a regular basis?
    What if our corners bat a few passes down? [ok, I know that's not going to happen, DAMN]"

Micro: "What if we see the same crap we've been watching for 5 years"?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    TFD, what are you talking about?

Fact: (in essence REALITY)the Lions have sucked for the last 5 years (at minimum).

Speculation:(in essence BLUE SKIES) What if...(fill in all of TFD's wishful thinking here).

opinion: (in essence EDITORIAL) That's twice this week you've made really ignorant comments. Maybe think a bit more before you post.