Will The Pistons Be The Ones To Stop The Mavs Win Streak

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Mar 12, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

First game at home after a opposite coast trip of 10 days or more is always a tough one. Lindsey would have helped on this one

:hoops:
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If the Pistons play defense the way have done the past two games (without Hunter) and establish a post position and work the paint, they can probably win.

In the win in Dallas, the Pistons outscored the Mavs in the paint 40-26, and controlled the boards 44-36, shut down their bench and only allowed Dirk to get off. They also held an 8 point lead at the half and extended it in the third. The key is having that halftime lead. Playing from behind will cause them to extend to much energy playing catchup which means more three balls:brick:

Yes, I want the Pistons to win but it would be even sweeter for them to stop the Mavs win streak at 20, and that will be dependant upon mavs not getting tripped up at home on Wednesday. By the way the last time the Mavs lost at home was that Piston game on 12/7.
  3. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

If the Pistons can pull that one off, it will make me feel much better about the post season.

I think the best thing going for the 'stons is that only one team can come out of the west.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's too bad Sheed is back. It would have been interesting to see if Max could defend Dirk a little.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You don't think Sheed will get 2 technicals in the next 3 games?
  6. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Greg Anthony over at espn thinks that the Stones have better matchups over both the Suns and Mavs. He has been the only guy at espn that has been on our bandwagon year in and year out. Way to go, greg. You definitely know your basketball.:MusicBigGrin:
  7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I remember Greg Anthony jumping off the Pistons' bandwagon at a weird time last season--after they beat Miami in Detroit in their first meeting of the regular season, he somehow managed to write something for the Daily Dime about how it was really an indication of Miami's ability to beat Detroit in the playoffs. He turned out to be right in his conclusion, of course, though I remember being kind of baffled by his reasoning. I'd have to dig it up again to see if what he was saying about that regular season game had anything to do what eventually happened in the playoffs.
  8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I was talking to my father (also an avid Pistons fan) last night about the Pistons and how they match up in the West. He felt PHX really lacks toughness. I still think Detroit loses to the Suns this week because they can't defend the P & R, but over a 7-game series, who knows? Same with Dallas. Over a 7-game series, who knows? Although I think Dallas is tougher.
  9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I agree. I think the talent is there.

Do we have the coach to make the right adjustments and make sure our heads aren't embedded up our collective Wazoos?

That's the question, IMO.
  10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That doesn't surprise me. Just a week or so ago, Greg Anthony was the only one of the talking heads who would predict that a Wadeless Miami could beat the Pistons. The others couldn't believe what they were hearing, but tragically, Greg was right. I'm surprised to see Greg actually on the Piston's bandwagon, though, I don't recall him ever giving us the love.
  11. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I honestly believe we could beat anyone in the west in a 7 game series when we are at our best. From Flip Sr. to Flip Jr.!!

That`s asking a lot over a 7 game series, yet we could do it.

Dallas by far would be our toughest test. Their depth and athletic abilty would give us fits. However, if Sheed, Tay and CB would take their game inside the paint we could not only slow the Mav`s down but also get them in foul trouble.

Hope you are listening Flip..........
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:focus: Well I guess we don't have to worry about stopping the streak. The Warriors stopped it before either the Suns or the Pistons got their chance and beat the Mavs 117-100 and leadby 31 points at one point.

The Warriors have now beaten the Mavs twice this season and could face them in the first round and pull of the biggest upset in awhile, especially if there is a matchup problem..
  13. BillLaimbeer

I don't think the Mavs will have troubles in the 1st round. In fact, I don't think Dallas will have trouble in any round this year. Last season, the Mavs faced adversity and came up a tad short. Now, they are ready and poised to take the next step. Hence, the prediction:

The Dallas Mavericks will be
    the 2007 NBA Champions
  14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Warriors 117, Mavericks 100

By GREG BEACHAM
    Associated Press Sports
    Updated: 11:16 p.m. CT March 12, 2007

"We weren't here tonight,'' coach Avery Johnson said. "We just didn't have it. We got outplayed and worked and hustled, but our guys are professional. They don't have many nights like this, so we'll bounce back. ... This leaves a bad taste in our mouth. We don't like to play like this.''

"Nowitzki became visibly frustrated in the third quarter, flattening Davis for an offensive foul before comically swatting a loose ball out of a cameraman's hands in his fury. Johnson removed him from the game while Harrington hit a free throw to put Golden State ahead by 23. Two possessions later, Nowitzki was whistled for a technical foul for chirping from his seat on the Mavs' bench."

I think you got to like a team not willing to accept any loss and being just plain mad about being beaten.

Bill - you might have that just right.
  15. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I thought the same thing last year
  16. BillLaimbeer

I thought Miami was the team to beat last year.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I am confident in the Mavs, but the West is pretty good.

Houston, San Antonio, Utah, and Phoenix could all beat them with some luck.

If they come out of the West, I don't think they'll have a problem with the Heat, Pistons, or Cavs (even with Stern's help).