Will the Pistons Excel in the Underdog Role Like in 2004 and Use It As A Motivator

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Aug 16, 2006.

1. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Re: Will the Pistons Excel in the Underdog Role Like in 2004 and Use It As A Motivato

I think this is a very good point that isn't made often enough. The only way to go back to that mentality is with new underdog players. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, but it means that the motivational edge has to come from somewhere else. It's way easier to play as an underdog with nothing to lose. When you're out in front, you have something to lose, and it's very easy to err on the side of caution to keep what you have. That's why every gold medal prospect in the Olympics has a sports psychologist. It's hard to be aggressive when you are holding on to something so tight. I hear all the time that the Pistons had tired legs this year, but I think it's also that they were playing tight.

That 2004 Championship was so golden with everyone hugely underestimating the Pistons. God, and to beat that superstar Laker team. I'm so glad I got to see those games. Man oh man it was so fun to see them lock down on the Lakers in the finals.:nod:
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Re: Will the Pistons Excel in the Underdog Role Like in 2004 and Use It As A Motivato

That's prolly pretty accurate... so the big question is... Can this team regain the hunger?
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

JMax is a guy who looks like he can eat. I'd say he's probably gunna be pretty hungry.

Alex Acker was hungry but he'll be eating Spanakopita in Greece so we gotta assume that his hunger will be quenched.

I'm really feeling a series of Krista Latham (or whatever her married name is now) interviews with Flip Murray, Nazr Mohammed and Will Blalock.

Until we know where Blalock weighs in, I'd say the last draft was hunger deficient. We traded a guy like Mo Evans who can pound power bars with the best of them for a fella named Cheikh Samb who makes Manute Bol look like a big eater.

Joe's first question to the scouts should be, 'What is his favorite food?".
  4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

String Beans?:noidea: