Win Now Vs. Developing Rookies

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by anakin, Feb 25, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

"Buckets" - off the books in 4 months
    Cato - off the books in 4 months
    Lindsey - off the books in 4 months
    Davis - off the books in 16 months

If you're going to yell FIRE, at least bring a match to the party.

2. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I smell a small rebuild... at least I hope so.

3. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

And who is Joe going to replace these guys with when they get off the books? Rooks? Haillll no? JMax, Acker, Johnson? Nope. High quality free agents? Nope, any free agent worth anything will not sign to play 10 minutes a game. We'll get more Old guys wanting to get paid to sit the bench.

I just brought a crack pipe and some napalm to this party.

4. linwood

linwood All-Star

That explains alot.
    :eyebrows:

Sorry. You know I'm just playin. But, 16, you have been near "crack pipe paranoid" about the Pistons for some time now. I think if you were in charge, we would have retired Ben Wallace 3 years ago, Dice never would have been considered, and we wouldn't have a single player over 23.

I have nothing against the kids, but there is something to be said for experience, my friend.

5. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

16 Mile
    As I recall, he was their primary backup PG. He flat out DOGGED Arroyo in last year's playoffs btw. :eyebrows: But Hunter shut him down so bad they hurried up and put him on the bench. :smash:

One thing about Beno is that he displayed FIRE every time he got on the floor. None of that mopeing, half-azz no loose ball chasin, no rebounding (even for a guard) hating garbage (i.e. "opportunity") time for him. No sir-ee bob! :tsk:

If Darko showed half the gumption Beno did he would still be here. :spy:

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Or you could say he'll bring in some mature vets that can play in pressure games.
    Actually I think the rooks PT for next year may depend on how well the team does in the playoffs... if they get another Ship, the rooks may be on hold as we ride a well oiled machine... if they stumble early (Pacers or Heat knock em off) Joe may feel like it's time to see if the younguns can improve the product.

7. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Does anyone think that there is a connections between "getting him all the minutes they could find" and Beno "showing fire each time he got on the floor"?

When you use every excuse you can think of to keep someone OFF the floor, you can get an attitude. I believe that attitude is caused by the way a person is treated, or AT LEAST his perception of same.

Darko will be just fine where he is and he is much happier to be a part of a team, even one that's losing for the time being.

How do I know? Just watch him.

8. Mad Hatter

lazyberbs
    Yep! The "connection" is FIRE >> PT! There are 359 NBA players and 30 head coaches who understand this. Guess who the 1 player left over is? :eyebrows:

Agree again. And if it takes a team losing to make him happy, he's in the right place. :laugh:

9. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

maybe it will take us losing another game 7 because of foul trouble to learn that having a young talented 7 footer on the bench just in case is a good thing. i'm glad you are happy lb taught him a lesson those first 2 years instead of developing him so he could be ready to contribute. lb tried to put dmc's fire out but as you can see the fire is starting to burn again too bad it's in orlando instead of off our bench.

10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

BBJ when you consider the odds of us being able to keep Darko even if he was kept happy/ given PT anything other than "using" him wasn't a good business decision.
    We can't have our cake and eat it too. All the bench fails into this category. Fino is gone.

11. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

The fire in Darko is not the only one burning. There's also a fire burning around the pound :pound:. See the 8th rung of Dante's Inferno, otherwise known as the New York Knicks.

12. Mad Hatter

bball jay
    Newsflash bro. We got one, if he get's healthy. From what I saw while he was here, I'd be more comfortable with J-Max getting those minutes. He PLAYS LIKE he wants it and can deliver a HARD foul.

I say THANK GOODNESS it's in Orlando instead of off our bench. I wish him the best, but I really don't miss him bball jay! You can't miss what you never had.

BTW, how's his demeanor in Orlando. Is he happy to be playing? Or is he pissed about losing?