With The Roster As It Stands Now, Can We Beat Boston Or Clev In The Playoffs?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Dec 16, 2008.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It took me this long to finally "Woman Up" and look at the Power Rankings.

For crying out loud, WE ARE # 16. When was the last time we were this low in the power rankings?

I realize it's still early, but #16, my oh my.

After reading a few articles, Cleveland, Boston and others are not preparing themselves to beat the pistons in the playoffs, does anyone here realize that we are an afterthought?

I know, I know, the old cliche used to be "that's all right, we like to be overlooked", I ain't buying this anymore.

So my question is; will we be ok just standing pat and just go with what we have, OR make a trade that will make us better in the long run?

Cleveland and Boston look really, really good right now. Is there success just a fluke, are they peaking early? Do we need to do anything to better ourselves right now without throwing the "baby out with the bathwater"?
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

No point in risking further degradation and jeopardizing future financial flexibility with a trade. Bos and Cle would be hard to beat this year even if we were at our 2005-2007 form, and it's unlikely we'll be able to get back to that level through a trade.

If we can find a way to make this roster work, great. If not, we need to stay the course and spend money in the FA market.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Our Players get frustrated during the playoffs when we were good.
    I expect continued meltdowns this playoff season. (Even with Flip gone)
    This will be because the meshing of players may not happen the way we like.
    We cannot beat those teams unless we come together as a team.
  4. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

No, we can not beat Boston or Cleveland. Hell, I bet we can't even beat Orlando.
  5. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Can we beat Boston or Cleveland????

How bout, can we beat Atlanta or Orlando?

We are WAY below Boston and Cleveland right now and I don't see it getting any better.

:nailbiting:
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'd really like to see us get matched up against ORL again and take them down. Just because we own them and it would be funny.

Getting out of R1 will be a success I believe.
  7. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

as of now? Absolutely not. just wait the year out and make a huge pitch at other guys. take a risk.

And sorry guys, but Cleveland, at least this year, isn't the ugly little brother anymore. However, But if we lost to ORL i'd probably go into depression. Their fans suck ("hey guys! look at as, look at us! Give us respect!")

THANK YOU. IMO this was always BS. We were the regular season champs in 2006, and the safe bet to he Finals. And remember 2007? Many media guys predicted us to go to the Finals after walloping Chicago, and ALL of them picked us to go after the 2-0 start to the ECF. I hate it when teams/fans demand respect. We've had plenty of chances and failed.
  8. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

I think as we establish our identity and our D we cant certainly beat Cleveland, but Boston would be very difficult. You guys dont look so much into all of the hoopla in these teams winning early in the season, believe me it doesnt mean %%%%. I mean Atlanta took Boston to 7 games and was well below 500, I mean c'mon. The league is so flimsy and teams can be beaten even ones that look invicible. Do not throw in the towel as of yet in that we still have room to grow and be very good. Wait the season out fellas you may be suprised. Twenty games have been played and last time I checked the season was eighty-two games.
  9. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

Boston gets a sickening level of favorable calls and no-calls (moving screens). We'll need to pay off the refs to beat them.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Actually, this is not totally out of the question.
  11. max

max All-Star

We don't have the frontcourt right now. Not saying we can't get there but Amir or Kwame really need to step it up and get back in the rotation.

I say make a trade for a decent and young PF/C - nothing to lose except Sheed and Dyess next year.
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The way this team is playing now and the roster currently in place, it's a first round loss if we don't grab at least a 4th seed. :movingon:

I am sure the Pistons will improve with what they have, but who's to say Atlanta won't get better than they are now over the course of the season.?
  13. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

Well that's the thing. Ppl all say we will only get better during this season, better chemistry and all. But isn't that the same for the other teams, they will get better also.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Dear Pistons Forum dot com,

We stink!!!
  15. Tha Locstah

I second that.

I'm not throwing in the towel, I'm facing reality. Our competition is WAY ahead of us and we have no shot at a ship this year. I think Joe knows this and is therefore tempering expectations and planning for 2009 or 10 to make a run.

I know we are all so used to competing year in and year out for the past 5 or 6 years but newsflash, not this year. Deal with it folks.

:argue:
  16. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

At least it's not the Teal Era!!!

Although we did have rising Grant Hill :(
  17. Tha Locstah

We don't have to hit rock bottom to rebuild.

We'll make the playoffs every year but we won't be at the TOP of the EC for a couple more years. That's how long I think it will take before we make our move. By that time Boston will be on the way down and Cleveland will be the team to beat.
  18. lk#1

lk#1 First Round Draft Pick

I think we are able to beat anyone if this team plays up to its potential. There is so much talent that I can't believe they'll play so bad all season long. I don't like the way this team is coached right now but i hope Curry will find a way to get them going. Stuckey is getting better every game - especially as a passer. The key is to come back to playing with 2 bigs as fast as possbile.

Orlando doesn't scare me at all. They don't match up well with the Pistons. Stuckey is bigger, stronger than Nelson and he can take advantage of Nelson the way Chauncey did. Howard haven't played up to his potential against the Pistons in the POs yet.

The Pistons are unpredictable. Perhaps, i'm too optimistic but despite all the problems i see lots of good things. This team has the most talented backcourt in the league, at least solid bench and 5 productive bigs. I'm sure it's enough to beat Boston and Cleveland - Curry just needs to make the best of the roster. Unfortunately it is easier said than done...
  19. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

This is the NBA, therefore, I think that we can beat anyone on any given Sunday.

By no means do I think that the Pistons have hit rock bottom, and no way do I think that the Pistons are way out of the playoffs.

I really don't think that Joe D is tanking the season and looking forward to 2009 and beyond, he still wants to win now.

With Rip, Stuckey and AI on the floor together, that's a good combo, my only problem with this is; our front court is somewhat skeptical and downright scary. Joe D WILL make a trade before the deadline, (the sooner the better) for a decent Big Man to play alongside Sheed.
  20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Did you say SUNDAY!! :yukpuke: