Wolverine Football

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Buckeyes#1, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Congratulations Wolverine fans on a good day. Yeah, it was just Eastern Michigan but you guys really pasted them. Looks like we will be in for another great OSU Michigan game in about two more months! I still think you guys would be better off if you brought in a top notch coach. I don't follow the Wolverines too closely but I'm basing that opinion on his record against Tressel.
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yes, congratulations on a very nice win. I thought it would be about 35-7, but you guys were already up 28 -zip at the half.

Don't get complacent, though. And remember, you have a visit with the Green before you even think about OSU. :yo:
  3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Nice win?

C'mon, it was EMU. UM shouldn't even have them on the schedule. One good thing that came out of it was that Gutierrez got to play and perhaps a quarterback battle can ensue from this. UM should be still reeling over that Notre Dame loss at home. Just horrible. After watching MSU today, UM better be quaking in their cleats, man. MSU can flat-out score, and their offense is more potent than UM's, too. Got a QB that can run and throw and a huge offensive line that will push UM's D around but good.
  4. Buckeyes#1

I agree that EMU shouldn't be on the schedule. It's a joke how Purdue could win the Big Ten without having to play MU or OSU. They need to wipe the MAC teams off the schedule and make sure each team plays each other one time in the Big Ten. The reason I said it was a good win is because I can't remember the last time OSU drilled somebody 55-0, including the MAC teams. The other reason I said that is because often an in-state rival MAC team often consists of players that were spurned by the MU's and the OSU's. They often play loosey goosey and with a chip on their shoulder. This is the highlight of their year and would be their lifetime dream to be able to say they knocked off the Big School. No doubt those players on EMU thought about this game just about every day of the summer.
  5. Darth Tater

ggazoo

lol... shhhhhhhhhhh. I was being nice.
    But like buckeye said, even though it was only EMU, 55-0 is pretty darn good. My boys played a couple of easy ones too (Kent St. and Hawaii).

I'll be smack talking in 2 weeks when the two teams play. Still...that's always liable to blow up in a person's face when they are a Sparty. First things first. Next week is Illinois.

John L. really seems to be a good coach with the respect of his players. And I like Stanton a lot so far. At least he isn't likely to miss time due to drug problems like his predecessor.

Could it possibly be the year of the Spartan?
  6. Buckeyes#1

ggazoo

Ok, I'll confess. I was just blowing smoke too. Since I started this thread, I thought I wouldn't resort to trashtalking right from the getgo. There is plenty of time for that later. :) Okay times up. I honestly think we will come into your house and do a thorough cleaning this year. In fact, we may even please some of you by helping you remove Carr this year, which really scares me. I actually have grown to like Carr very much! :)
  7. ggazoo69

DarthTater the Spartan quotemaker

Could be. They can score with the best of them. They had a few defensive issues and some special-teams issues (the punter) today. Illinois should be no problem. Then comes Michigan and OSU two weeks later in Columbus. Having that bye week sure helps. I can't see UM beating them. I think OSU is slightly better. They won't roll up 44 against the Buckeyes. It might come down to MSU needing UM to beat OSU to gain a share of the Big 10 title. I see MSU slipping somewhere, possibly at Purdue later on?
  8. ggazoo69

buckeyes

If Carr loses to Notre Dame, MSU, and OSU in one season, there will be so many For Sale signs placed on his lawn, he won't be able to mow it. The problem at UM is Wolverine fans complain about the coach and then still show up 110,000 strong every home game. They're worse than Cubs fans.
  9. Darth Tater

***cracking up***:pound:

You guys have me rolling with the talk about MSU fans liking Carr and the lawn stuff and cubs fan comparisons.

Do you think MSU makes top 25 after this?
  10. Buckeyes#1

ggazoo

I understand what you are saying about the MU fans. OSU fans are the same way. That's why it took so long to get rid of Cooper. It was so depressing that I actually had to stop following OSU for awhile. The moment OSU fired Cooper, I immediately got back on board. Right now I see your Carr as our Cooper. It still baffles me when I hear MU fans supporting him. I guess 10-3 are fine for some people. I mean I'll take that record as a Lion's fan but not as an OSU fan. If I were MU, I'd go after the hottest NFL coach I could find. That thought terrifies me! MU has such an appeal to the best recruits even with Carr. It could be downright scary if they got someone in there like ND's coach who can flash the NFL rings in front of the eyes of the Ted Ginn's and AJ Hawks of the world.
  11. ggazoo69

UM vs. OSU

Buckeyes, yes, many UM fans are at the point where you were with Cooper. :frusty: Frankly, I don't think the UM athletic department care about the three-loss seasons. As long as Carr has Shembechler's support, UM fans say, he's safe. UM is very careful to not say they vie for national championships as the Buckeyes do. Why? Not sure. But UM is definitely an elitist school and I think they don't want to come off sounding like a "football factory." OSU gets that label all the time, especially after the Katzenmoyer years. There has to be a happy medium. UM needs a coach that isn't a total heartless wuss that is still willing to uphold the elitist academic standard and say out loud they want to beat OSU and win national titles. Right now, UM has Gomer Pyle's third cousin in charge. Well, golleeeeee, boys, we lost another big game. Looks like another three-loss season!
  12. legend71

legend71 Second Round Draft Pick

First of all, please remember it was Carr who was beating Cooper all those years which forced you to lose faith in your team. Carr is a good coach (maybe not elite but still if you look at his record he is as good as almost anyone). He has won the title once and keeps UM in contention year after year. That pattern of sustained excellence is not matched by many. Yes, it is true Jim Tressel has a better record against Carr, but as we saw the week before - even the younger genious coaches like Tressel and Ferentz get beat once in a while. Look at Charlie Weis this past weekend..... OSU fans are so quick to say Carr is lame, yet I would like to see Tressel's record after he has been in the job as long as Carr (if he can stay long enough). I agree that OSU has the better team this year and will likely win, but try to keep it all in perspective. And also, Cooper was an excellent coach. He brought much talent and success to OSU. He modernized an archaic program and increase the recruiting base significantly. Tressel has not revolutionized anything there. In fact, I think he has had more scandals in his time than under the Cooper era. He has won a national title, however, and apparently that is all that matters. You know sometimes the difference between winning and losing is not as great as you think.