Wolverines, Spartans Win

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by bezeach, Sep 2, 2006.

1. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Michigan won 27-7 against Vanderbilt. Hart was the main story rushing for 146 yards. Henne was 10-of-22 for 135 yards with two TDs. Mario Manningham and Ecker both had touchdowns.

Michigan state won 27-17 against Idaho. Stanton had a good game with 225 yards and a touchdown. Ringer had 16 carries for 70 yards with a touchdown.

Overall, both teams did pretty well (for the first game of the season)
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'll take the MSU win, but I don't think they played very well, unless Idaho is better than expected.

Looks like MSU can pretty much score at will, but the defense looked lousy to me. Lots of missed tackles.

I was fine with Smith going for the TD instead of the field goal, but I would have called a timeout.

MSU got ripped on that call where they said Trannon bobbled it. That almost turned the game around.

U of M winning...oh well. Can't have everything, I guess.
  3. bezeach

Idaho's lost lost 47 of 58 games since 2000. They have a good coach though, Dennis Erickson. He's won national championships at Miami and 40 games as an NFL coach. And Idaho may compete for the WAC championship this year.
  4. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Tyler's been a student of mine in a couple of classes. He's a terrific, intelligent, very caring young man. He's a Spanish major with a close to 4.0 gpa. A coupla summers ago he did an independent study with a colleague of mine where he just went into Detroit and started interviewing Latinos to try to get a sense of their lives, their needs, the role that culture plays in them. He came up with the idea on his own, sought out the professor to supervise his work and then carried it through. All of that would already make him stand out among the regular crowd of students, but that he's doing that amidst the year-round schedule that the football team has was pretty impressive to me.

Arriving about 10 minutes late for my class one morning in the Spring, he explained that it can be pretty hard to balance studies with the demands of the coaches. And he mentioned one assistant coach who used to give a speech in which he'd go: "remember, academics first [holding up two fingers] and athletics second [holding up one finger]."

interesting to get that perspective on the pressures of big time football.

anyway, i don't care too much about um football, but i'm real glad that he had a nice TD catch today. he's a good kid.
  5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

That's a great insider story. I can't say I'm surprised. I imagine a player would get some raised eyebrows if they asked a coach to leave practice early "to get to class."

A UConn basketball player came into my office the other day talking about how she needed "to take a class" in my department and asked me, "Are you the head of the department?" I laughed aloud because I'm just a PhD student at this point, but the student-athlete did not know what class she wanted to take and didn't seem to care. She just wanted her paperwork filled out so she could get back to the court and practice that hook shot. I always laugh when I hear the phrase "student-athlete." I'm sure many want to be students, but the NCAA and the coaching staffs won't let 'em.
  6. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

yeah, some of tyler's stories were really eye-opening for me. i began to get the impression that big-time college athletics are really organized not for people like Tyler (i.e. with above average, even possibly Pro-level skills, who still want a good education and see professional sports as a kind of way station to what they really want to do with their lives after their pro careers are over -- in tyler's case teaching), but rather for those who naively "abuse" or at least exploit the system even as the system is abusing them in far more damaging ways.

i don't really have a good overview kind of perspective on the issue, and i don't think it's my place to go into more details, but listening to him i was very clearly struck by the fact that this kid was going to make good DESPITE the structures, people etc. that supposedly exist IN ORDER TO to help him to succeed in school and in sports.
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Michigan looked good defensively, but that offense was inconsistent and they will have to play better than that to beat the Irish or any Big 10 team when conference play starts. There were a lot of drop passes-some to blame on the receivers and some to blame on Henne.

Carr and his offensive coordinator need to open the passing a little bit more as the only down the middle pass that I recall was the the TD to Ecker and I only recall seeing two more that were longer than 25 yards and one of those was ruled a no catch due to an error by the replay officials. thes short passes to Breaston and Hart are predicatable and the Irish defense will eat them up in a couple of weeks. 31 carries by "Mike "I never fumble" Hart seem a little much too.
  8. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Darth, I find your avatar insulting.

:ban:
  9. Darth Tater

Try to get used to it. You'll be wearing it for 24 hours when we beat you in Ann Arbor this year.:laugh:

[SIGN]MSU rocks[/SIGN]
  10. Superstarov

So if your guys win, does that mean that you'll go running through the streets of Idaho flipping cars over and setting dumpsters on fire?
  11. Darth Tater

In Idaho, we call it stagecoach tipping and there are very large penalties for horse burning in this state.
  12. bezeach

Both the Wolverines and Spartans win again, now 2-0. Miichigan won 41-17. Michigan State won 52-20. I'm looking forward to next week, Michigan vs. Notre Dame...
  13. ggazoo69

I don't think I'll watch Notre Dame-UM. I know I'm in for a big disappointment. Hope I'm wrong, of course.
  14. Superstarov

When MSU plays Notre Dame, I cheer for the Irish. (That is just an example of the deepness of my dislike.)

I assume you cheer for the Irish when they play U of M?
  15. detteam

detteam All-Star

Yes, of course...even tho my daughter attends UM now and has student season tickets. Old rivalries never go away :)
  16. ggazoo69

Who were you talking to, me or DT? I cheer for UM and MSU. I didn't attend either school and grew up in Michigan. Like 'em both. I said I was worried about a big disappointment in South Bend because Lloyd Carr is Sub Par. He gets outcoached in big games. Tressell owns him. If Notre Dame wins this season, Weiss will start to own him. Why UM's AD can't see this, I don't know why. It's plain as day.
  17. Superstarov

I got ya now. I thought you were an anti U of M-er who cheered for the Irish when the time was right.
  18. LA Dre

If Michigan loses both games to the Irish and the Buckeyes, and a Bowl game later if they get there, this should be Mr.Carr's last season in the big house:wave: :rip:

I will be in front of the tube on Saturday with "M" shirt on hoping,:nailbiting: praying, :pray: and crying:Cry: for Wolverine victory over the Irish as I still think the media over hypes them.
  19. ggazoo69

Nope. The three teams I hate the most:

1. Ohio State
    2. Notre Dame
    3. Nebraska
  20. LA Dre

Got no problem with Nebraska, but Notre Dame would be the number 1 hated on my list and then The OHIO State University.

For NCAA basketball it would be
    1)Duke :nerner:
    2)Duke
    3)North Carolina
    4)Kansas