Wolverines, Spartans Win

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by bezeach, Sep 2, 2006.

1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I knew you'd chime in sooner or later, Super. :MusicBigGrin: Would be nice if Lloyd let some of the other running backs play once in a while. Well, can't blame MSU's D for the late interception. That's on the O.
  2. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

40 - 37

Irish in the lead.

2:53 in the 4th

You guys must be sweating this one.
  3. Superstarov

Grady plays a decent amount.

This isn't little league though. Not everyone gets a chance to play... you play the best players at each position.

That's like saying why doesn't coach Smith give Stanton a rest and play Clay Charles, Connor Dixon, Brian Hoyer, or John Van Dam?

What is that all about?

Why does Wayne Fontes keep playing Barry Sanders? There's more than one running back on the team.
  4. ggazoo69

MSU coughs it up. Pardon me while I go to the bathroom and :puke:That a-hole Kirk Herbstreet seemed to love that last pick.
  5. Superstarov

Darnit!

Sorry MSU lost you guys.

That's too bad.

:wedgie:

Gave up how many points in the 4th quarter?
  6. ggazoo69

Define "a decent amount."
  7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Typical MSU.

They totally deserved to lose this game.
  8. Superstarov

You know, Ron Rivers backing up Barry Sanders type numbers.

Running back by committee is for chumps anyway.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

My condolences to the MSU fans on this forum. When they are playing ND and OSU is about the only time I'll root for them. That was rough.
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not sure what I hated more, MSU playing not lose after having a 16 point lead with 8:25 to go or the ESPN guys falling over themselves in the last quarter and the post game kissing Brady Quinn and the Irish behinds. Lou Holz was beside himself with glee as Quinn actually vendicated his earlier predictions that they would win. Lee Corso also went as far to say that Quinn was back in the Heisman race :P :bs:

Now for the second week in a row we gotta hear about The Irish and their pluses and minuses:frusty: :bored: Now they got three straight games vs potential cremepuffs on the Notredame Broadcasting Conpany network, NBC and overate hype will be in full force the rest if the fall.
  11. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Agreed with everything in your post, Dre. The fact that they still have their own freakin' national network TV deal, as well as being pretenders to any sort of real national championship contention for over a decade now, just goes to show that ND football (not just this year's team, but generally speaking, as a program) is--without exaggeration--the most overrated team in the history of sports.
  12. detteam

detteam All-Star

Typical John L. Smith. I still like the guy, but the playing not to lose stuff gets old. He sucks the wind outta the sails of his potent offense to put heavy pressure on his suspect defense against a guy like Quinn. That make any sense to you?

But you gotta admit...there's something to 'the luck of the Irish'. First Carlson catches a pass tipped by his own guy for a 30 yard gain, then Lambert picked the ball off the MSU receivers back after it had bounced off a few people on what turned out to be the last play of the game.

Matt Trannon: I loved his TD toss to Ringer (Stanton 8 TD throws this year...Trannon has 2 so far). That was a BS unsportmanlike call on the ND sideline against him after the ND player and a coach pulled him from behind on the ND sideline when he wasn't doing anything wrong (fortunately the officials made a make-up call shorter after when they granted MSU's Ervin Williams a TD after his interception). Yeah...the weather sucked...but I'm surprised Trannon didn't get to touch the ball more than he did...for the second week in a row.

As a Spartan fan, I hope this loss isn't the season-ending fold-up game they had last year at OSU when they were dictating the game and then blew it at the end of the second quarter. JohnL has to learn that there are 60 minutes in a football game and crossover to the notion that when his team has a decent lead and are dictating the tempo, that is the time to put the nails in the coffin! PILE IT UP! Hoping not to lose, he puts the kids back on their heels thru his offensive play calling making them doubt themselves. If anyone should be pissed at JohnL, it should be the entire defensive unit after he put all of the pressure on them. Time to earn your salary JohnL...open up and make MSU the football powerhouse it once was. Poor Bubba having to watch that stupid beating after being honored...makes me sick!

On a sidenote to the broadcasting: I had to laugh at Musburger & his cohort fumbling to get ND's season-leading receiver Rhema McKnight's first name right in the first half. First they where calling him Randall and then Raymond LMAO!!!
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I also noticed the announcer in the Mich/Wisc game called Henne "Henly" and "Henry" at different points.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I thought MSU would win, so I turned the game off.

Now I understand why UM fans don't respect the Spartans...
  15. Darth Tater

Even Spartan fans don't respect the Spartans.
  16. Darth Tater

Good post Detteam.

I agree with you on almost all of this. The whole thing sickened me but I saw it coming the entire game. I couldn't even talk about it until today it made me so ill. Such is the fate of a Sparty.

I too still like Smith , but I've got to pin this loss on him. Usually, I don't feel like that.

About the Irish luck. Yeah, they got a nice bounce on that last play, plus the deflected pass, but it should never have come to that. MSU blew it. It had very little to do with luck. MSU got breaks too.

I too figure it is going to be a season spoiler like the OSU game. Why not? It may as well be this game. It was inevitable.

OSU and U of M are going to steamroll this team. Que sera sera. :loser:
  17. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

18. detteam

detteam All-Star

For all Weis knows it coulda been his quadruple-chin hittin him in the face.

That was a raw call on Trannon. I'd like to see the tape again. From what I recall, Trannon didn't hit anyone...he just reacted to being yanked from behind.

I'd like to see more made in the press of Weis' comment that Notre Dame 'would not lose to Michigan State again'...rather than a claimed %%%%%-slap that I don't recall seeing and apparently, video didn't see it either.
  19. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

The Spartans became the first Big Ten team to lose to the Illini since 2004. Jason Reda's 39-yard field goal with 6 seconds remaining lifted Illinois to a 23-20 victory.

While the Wolverines got revenge against Minnesota winning 28-14. Henne had a nice game passing for 3 touchdowns.

Next week: MICHIGAN VS. MICHIGAN STATE
  20. ggazoo69

State's just laying low and they're going to rise up and spank Michigan next weekend. Well, maybe not, but I don't see a blowout looming. Stanton knows this is his last chance to beat the Wolverines so I think he'll bring some focus to this one. John L. looked like a defeated man in the presser.

UM didn't look all that great to me against Minny. Offense played good the first half; defense didn't. Defense played good the second half; offense didn't. Ohio State is on a whole different level than UM, but I think UM will continue to improve.