1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

women in the NBA

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Buckeyes#1, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

GREAT point.

2. Walter

A team of men will always beat a team of women due to the sheer physical strength of NBA players. But, the discussion isn't letting WNBA teams play in the NBA. You are looking at a WNBA player joining an NBA team.

Since we are using personal experiences to justify our positions on this matter, allow me to quote one of mine.

I was part of a pretty competitive basketball team in our rec league. We always played well, but either missed the playoffs or got eliminated in the first round. Then we had a gal join our team as a PG. She was a phenomenal player. After she joined us, we won the whole thing two seasons in a row. We were one of only 2 coed teams in a league of 16 teams.

My point is, the right player that addresses a need can make a huge difference for a team regardless of gender.

3. Walter

I just don't buy it that women can't get physical. We are not talking about fragile I-just-got-my-nails-polished-to-match-my-skimpy-skirt cheerleaders here. We are talking about real athletes.

I would bet money that on the court Pierson can stare down many NBA players, and EVERY poster in this thread.

4. Walter

That's been tried before. Turned out mushy after a while. :MusicBigGrin:

5. Walter

Then you get into situations where there's a cap on the number of guys that can play on a WNBA team. Otherwise NBA rejects and NBADL players will crowd out the ladies. Some leagues in Europe have a cap like that for US players. In Turkey they used to have a rule where each team can have a maximum of 3 US players on the roster and can only play 2 at the same time. Unsure if that's still the case.

I think the most likely thing you'll see is an All-Star weekend attraction featuring coed teams. Something like an East-West match with 2guys/3gals on each team. It sure would be more interesting to watch than the shooting stars, mad skills challenge or any other number of BS events during that weekend.

6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

woman can play the game.. and they tend to be more sound at the little things like setting picks and shooting form.

the problem is that NBA players are the best of the best.... there ceiling is much higher then the ceiling of the best of the best females.

While I think that there are ladies that could make and be part of highschool teams and alot of levels in college they could keep up, but by the time you get to the top 1 percent of 1 percent of the players world wide, there just not going to have the physical tools to be able to hang.

We talk about the short guards that have made the NBA... there freaks of nature, and at 5' 6'' or so that spud webb was, he still could get up and dunk the ball. In the womans game its an event when a dunk happens...

I think Stern is trying to get any topic into the news that doesn't have to deal with his corrupt refs.

7. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Especially after one of them was fired.

8. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Sorry man, I just don't agree.

Besides, Stern already tried to force women's basketball on the world via the WNBA and it hasn't actually been a rousing success (with teams folding, moving, etc.). Now, Dre's point aside (Donaghy smoke screen), this would not go over well with the NBA fan base. Sure, Stern could turn it into a somewhat of a basketball reality show and probably garner pretty impressive ratings. However, actual professional basketball would be dead.