Wondering on a few things

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Cardono, May 27, 2014.

1. Cardono

Cardono Second Round Draft Pick

I woke up at 4 am, powered up my phone and entered NBA.com to check if for some odd reason we ended up with a nice high pick. To my shock and utter bummer, that loser organization called Cleveland kicked us out with again, the 1st pick. fish sticks.

- What should we want to see come out from this summer in terms of roster, player development and whatever other aspect comes to mind?

- Is Detroit a suitable place for our young players to develop? Because we have potential. I'm taking OKC as a model for this case seeing as most of their players develop/ed nicely(++) through the years and it's not like their style of play benefits the player.
    Can Jennings shoot better and/or become a better floor manager? Can Drummond develop into a dependable offensive tool AND improve on defense? can Monroe (whatever happens with him) become tougher? KCP I like a lot so I hope he can become a legit starter in 2 years but I may just be dreaming/overly optimistic. No idea what will be with Siva and Mitchell.

- Can we expect to get to the playoffs, finally, next year? The East showed in the 2nd half that he will fight for playoff spots. If we count Atlanta out, we still have NY and probably Cleveland who will try to fight their way in as well.

The Panda likes this.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

3. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

This team looked horribly out of sorts at times all season, but there is a lot to be hopeful about.

Drummond - He isn't going to turn into Hakeem and be a reliable go to post scorer. But he is a fantastic clean up guy and has clearly gotten better at rebounding, picking lanes/making cuts and defending. His foul rates are down and he doesn't bite on everything. Because he is so good at defending on the perimeter as a result of his athleticism, I'm really excited to see what SVG can do with our defensive system.

On that note I suspect we will move more towards an aggressive hedging system (a la Miami) rather than the cautious approach we currently use. It makes a whole lot of sense if you can get your guys to buy into it. Monroe is obviously the glaring weakness in this system, and we should look at Charlotte to see what they did to hide Al Jefferson, although we don't have the wing defenders that they do.

KCP - he started to show flashes of game towards the end. I still like him as a defender and I think Dumars may have got the pick right (again!). He is very athletic, has a nice shot and is willing to do a bit of dirty work. If Jimmy Butler right now is his ceiling (high energy/stamina 3&D) then I think we have done really well. Very fast, great in transition

Jennings - There isn't a whole lot of positive to talk about here. He is very inconsistent and streaky. I don't like his jumpshot, the mechanics are way off. I think it will be hard to correct that problem. He dribbles to much and is scared to split picks and he can't turn the corner on the right hand side of the court. I think the vision is there but he really needs to work on his half court game. In transition, he is fantastic.

Josh Smith - for me, is still a premier player. He is never going to be Kevin Durant. His jumpshot is ugly, but he is incredibly strong and athletic and showed that he could get into the lane at will. Terror in transition. Has some post moves, enough to get him by, but a good coach should be able to open lanes for him to the basket. Matched up against SF's showed a lot of his weaknesses on both offense and defense.

I said at the beginning of the year that this team could win games in transition. I still think that. If SVG is willing to put in a system which forces turnovers and gets these guys to run the break, we should be able to at least look respectable.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I still like dre, smith, and pope. Any good coach can incorporate the three of them into a great defensive scheme.

BallDon'tLie and brofmfa like this.
  5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Sounds like a good start.

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Sorry to say, but I got Smith in the same role I envisioned for Stuckey prior to last season. Keep him in his street clothes.

7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I think that Smith can be good with some coaching.
    The '04 version of Larry Brown would be the best thing for Smoove's career.

Hopefully Stan can be the man with the plan.

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Good decision

10. max

max All-Star

Great news. Now all we have to do is get Stuckey back and its off to solid 30 win season. Maybe we beat Clev in the lottery.

The Panda likes this.
  11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

No surprises. At least he can be productive when used correctly.

12. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I think SVG could get really creative if he wanted to. He's already said that he wants to use these guys as effectively as he can, and with as weird as this team is, he does need to get creative.

If it were me (and obviously it's not, so whatever), I would design the offense around this basic set-up:

[​IMG]

With Monroe (or Smith, but I would trust Monroe with the ball more) in the middle acting as a facilitator (a la Joakim Noah), you could do run all kinds of sequences; setting picks everywhere, running guys off screens, etc., and Monroe has shown that, with spacing, he can drive from this spot if he gets the chance. KCP and Jennings are at least league average from these spots, and I believe that BJ's average from there nosedived after Cheeks got fired and KCP's rose over the course of the year. At the very least, they're threats.

But the big twist is what I think should be done on defense. If you don't want to make too big of a change, put Drummond on the four and Monroe on the five, since Monroe is such a terrible perimeter defender, where Drummond excels. With Smith able to act as paint protection along with Drummond, the team always has a safety net.

But even more fun would be this:
    [​IMG]
    Opposing point guards would have no clue what to do with Drummond. He's already shown that he's a good perimeter defender, and this would mitigate the problem of Jennings not being able to fight through screens (no problem for Dre!). Put Monroe back down low, keep Smith defending the four, and you have an exceedingly fun (and hopefully effective) defense to generate turnovers.

kpaav, Walter and TaS like this.
  13. linwood

linwood All-Star

That's ridiculous.

No one's beating Cleveland in the lottery.

This computer is property of the Denver Squirrels and is not to be removed from facilities.

coynejeremy likes this.
  14. linwood

linwood All-Star

I like your plan, Laim, but that defensive scheme requires Dee to gamble for steals. Stan Van doesn't gamble for steals.

This computer is property of the Denver Squirrels and is not to be removed from facilities.

Cardono and roscoe36 like this.
  15. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

There's just too much to do to make us a playoff team.

1. We need to NOT resign certain players whose contracts have run out.
    2. We need to see at least 2 current players make decent strides to becoming better.
    3. We need to sign at least one starter who makes contributions to the team's overall success.
    4. Drummond needs to become the locker room leader...undisputed...

16. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I didn't say it was what he should do, it's what I would do. And we'd probably lose a lot, but it would be fun.

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The thought of hiring Stu Jackson as the GM doesn't give me a warm feeling inside.

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He's just going to be svg's secretary.

19. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

SVG should absolutely be looking to win with what he has. Jennings/KCP/anyone/Smith/Drummond should get you playoffs in the East. That is a fact.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

There is a reason everyone expected us to be a breakout team last year. Bad coaching can make any team look terrible... unless it has lebron on it.