Worst Franchise

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Oct 6, 2005.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

which franchise do you guys think made the biggest mistakes of all time, and have had bad teams in your opinion? Me I got to say the Blazers. 2 giant mistakes come right to my head that destroyed this franchises hopes of being an elite team. Giving up on JO , and Roscoe, and the big one not drafting Michael Jordan.
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

No contest. The Clippers. Their records over the last 30 years say it all.

Next...the Lions...oh, this is the NBA board, never mind.
  3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I second that notion. Only team to get a top draft pick every freakin' year and make no progress. That team has been fodder for ever.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Lions

At least the Clippers win several games throughout the course of the season. Lions fans only get 6 or 7 moments of happiness per year. 1 playoff win since 1957?!? And that was followed by one of the most horrible drubbings ever by the Eagels. And to think that the Lions had the best football player in history...
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Lions vs Clippers

If the Lions played the Clippers in a regulation NBA game, and then the Lions played the Clippers in a regulation NFL game, who would have more combined points if you added it all together?

It is a tough scenario to handicap. I'd say it's even money. The refs would have a hard time fixing the outcome.
  6. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

GS Warriors

That organization has had so many good players pass through their system and they still suck.
  7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Raptors

Although its tough to compare them to the rest since they're such a new team, the Raptors have done nothing since coming into the league.
  8. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

I beg to differ. With the old Carter, going to the playoffs and making a name for themselves by almost making the conference finals one year.

Oh and my vote goes to the Knicks. They make sooo much money and yet they continue to suck every year and screw up big time by adding selfish players to their team like Starbury.
  9. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

clippers hands down

It has to be the clippers. Unless the league puts in a minimum team salary the owner will just pay only the money he has to to sell seats, hell he shares an arena for christ sake, when is he going to ask to borrow kobe lol

The team has had more good players drafted to it than any other team only to let them walk away, get nothing for it except the draft rights to next young player who will develop with major pt, so the cycle continues. Even if they screw up and draft a bust it only helps them that much more.

worst team, worst owner, just flat out evil if you ask me.
  10. Darth Tater

lol Abe.

I agree with you all the way. But why "evil? Seems more like "stupid" to me or maybe "cruel" to the poor fans.
  11. Big C

Big C First Round Draft Pick

Clippers hands down

Its definitely the clippers. I think it was sports illustrated that ran an article a couple of years ago and the clippers were voted worst organization in professional sports, not just basketball. To the guy that said Golden state, they have a world championship and had several exciting teams(run TMC). LB has been the only guy able to coach the clippers into the playoffs despite them having a lottery pick every frickin season. How Elgin Baylor manages to keep his job year after year amazes me.
  12. Darth Tater

Seriously, did the Lions make that Sports Illustrated list. Any other NBA teams on there that you recall?
  13. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

i said evil because of the poor fans who do root for them. it is like us poor lions fans, we are cursed so to speak. we love them and they always fail its cruel and unusual punishment. but we also dont expect it year after year..... ok maybe some fans do but to do it on purpose is just wrong so wickedly wrong . i just woke up so sorry if it doesnt make sense.
  14. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

eh I don't think the Clippers are that bad of an organization. I mean sure they've had their share of bad moves but at least their scouting/drafting team do a good job at getting good players right?

I think they need to get a good coach. Someone with good credentials that can give the team an identity. Do something like Dallas did with Avery Johnson taking over.
  15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Golden state can't be the worst. At least they won games at the end of last season. I think they're in serious contention for the playoffs this season.
  16. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

The Clippers are set up to fail. They do not make franchise players. The do not do lengthy extensions. The team is there to make the owner money and that's it.
  17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

everone has been saying the clippers are the worst, bu they are now 13-5. maybe this is a huge turn for the francise.
  18. Darth Tater

LOL, darn it, I was waiting for somebody to dig this thread up! :caked:
  19. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

I don't think it's the Blazers. The Bowie-over-MJ pick is obvious in hindsight, but so is Darko-over-Carmelo/Bosh/Wade/Hinrich/TJFord/anyone-else-I'm-forgetting. Although some GMs have a knack for drafting guys who pan out (Isiah!) it's often just a crapshoot. As for JO and Roscoe, that all came about as a result of the team's overreaction after losing Game 7 of the Conference Finals in 2000. They'll recover, eventually. Keep in mind that this franchise has won a championship (1977) and contested two others (1990, 1992).

I also don't think it's the Warriors. Okay, they haven't won anything in a long time, but they've often fielded exciting teams -- this year's squad, Run-TMC in the early 90s -- and they have won before. Back when the franchise was in Philly, they won the first ever NBA championship in 1947, contested it but lost to the original Baltimore Bullets in 1948, won the title again in 1956 (over the Pistons! argh!), moved west to SanFran and lost NBA Finals in 1964 and 1967, before finally winning again as the GS Warriors in 1975. A storied history....

The Raptors? No way. They haven't been around very long for one thing, but they've also had some success. In 2001, they were one basket away from the Conference Finals, and they've had lots of exciting players -- Damon Stoudamire, Marcus Camby, Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, Chris Bosh. Yes, they're brutal this year, but on the whole their ten years in the NBA have been decent.

I also don't think it's the Knicks. Like the Warriors, they haven't won since the 70s, but they have been competitive. They had Bernard King in the early 80s -- the most unstoppable scorer of his era -- and then of course they drafted Ewing and proceeded to be good for the next fifteen years, even making the Finals twice (1994, 1999). They're loaded with bad contracts right now, but they'll come around, even if David Stern has to pull some strings to make it happen. (I'm only half-joking....)

The conclusion: it's the Clippers, definitely (although there is a caveat). They didn't do much as the Buffalo Braves, nor as the San Diego Clippers, and that's when Donald Sterling bought the team, moved it to L.A., brought in the venerable Elgin Baylor as GM, and proceeded not to pay anyone anything for a very long time. They're in the lottery pretty much every year -- except when LB was coaching them -- and yet they never seem to get any better because they always let their young talent walk away in free agency. It wasn't just the players the owner was loathe to pay either; I remember a few years ago, some Clipper got injured during the game and hobbled off to the locker room, and there was a message on the Jumbotron asking some trainer or other to report to the back ASAP! So the owner didn't even equip his staff with beepers, much less cell phones??? Incredible....

The caveat I mentioned is that they have been spending cash in recent years. They didn't match Miami's offer for Odom -- I think that was a good move, actually -- but they did spend to keep both Brand and Maggette. They also pursued Kobe with an offer of over $100M -- I wonder what they would look like now if he had signed -- and this past off-season used some of the money Kobe declined to sign free agents Sam Cassell and Cat Mobley. Maybe they have turned a corner....
  20. Hotsauce

Hotsauce First Round Draft Pick

Overall i'd say the Clippers, but what have the hawks done in the NBA?