Would Pau Gasol make us a lock to make the NBA Finals?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Winless Wonders, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I just finished reading an article on Yahoo Sports concerning rumors of Pau Gasol being on the trading block. Apparently he will be back from injury sometime next month and teams are lining up for his services. Teams so far interested are Chicago and Boston.

In my mind this would be like the Rasheed Wallace deju vu if we could trade for Gasol. If I was Joe D. I would certainly call Memphis up and see what they wanted for him.

The problem is what do we give up to get him? Big men are a premium so it is certain that it would take one or maybe both 1st round picks this year to pry Gasol away and probably a player or two. Would you do it and do you think Gasol would make us a lock to reach the NBA Finals?
  2. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

what can this team offer? Two probably high picks, a Methusalem- Dale Davis, an unproven backup SF, a backup guard no other team wanted in the off season, a PF with the knees of an 80 year old and another backup G that is nearly as old as our GM. Maybe Nazr.
    In other words- nothing.
    And if we give any starter, it makes no sense since that wouldn't improve the team.
    I'd love to have Gasol on the team and think he could help this team becoming a contender again- but I simply can't see how that should happen?
    At the time of the Sheed trade, the team had far more trade material.
    This roster is already as thin as Kate Moss.
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Nothing is ever a lock. If the Pistons got Gasol without trading Sheed, CB, Tay, or Rip than it would be close to a lock.
  4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Without touching our "starting 4", I can't see us having enough ammo to enter this bidding war.

Why is he on the trading block anyway? Anyone have any info?
  5. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I like Gasol, so don`t get me wrong here, but lock to make the Finals?

I don`t think so. Even if we got him, we would still need a significant contribution from our bench.

IMO, our bench is the key. It will determine how far we go in the playoffs. What we see now from our starters is what we will most likely get all year, barring injury of course, that`s another story!
  6. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

He isn't apparently.

Grizzlies managment has said NO WAY they trade Gasol. Just a rumor. But where there's smoke...
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

There is nothing going on, is exactly what Jack McCloskey told reporters the night that Adrian Dantley was traded.

Michael Heisley (sp?) the Grizzlies owner is a ready fibber. I remember him going on about keeping the Grizz in Vancouver.
  8. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

the grizzlies are already in a youth movement with guys like gay and warrick. i can see them trading gasol. with that said, we've got a bunch of picks in next year's loaded draft and a few contracts we could actually get rid of ... but would memphis want to become the next boston or charlotte? perhaps, considering they have made the playoffs the past couple years and haven't even won a GAME.

if we could get gasol without giving up our starting 4, i'd do quite a bit to make it happen.
  9. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Gasol is pretty young himself. I think he's only 26.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The way Warrick is playing so well, and that the NBA has a lot of guys that can play the 3/4 position, and they have another young 3/4 like Warrick, Lawrence Roberts already on the roster....

I'd believe Pau is on the market, but the price will not be cheap.

He would look AWESOME in the red, white and blue. But we don't have the salary assets to trade for him. If we had done something with a BBen S&T, maybe.
  11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i was unaware of this. but i meant youth + rebuild mode. they didn't win with gasol and battier, so maybe they're thinking trade him now for a more solid foundation. i dunno.

all i remember is last year he was dominating against the pistons and made some great plays. and i saw this in person since i was at the palace. i took my mom to that game and she just kept commenting on his scraggly beard and how he looked scary. :nerd2:
  12. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe we could package 30-Mil with.....oops...uh...wait....he makes 30 Mil.

Back to the drawing board.....:stirthepot: