Would The Pistons Perform Better If The Whining/Bone Head Tech Fouls Cease

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Mar 25, 2007.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Is anyone fed up with the Technical Fouls that Sheed and Rip are accumulating faster than the National Debt?

Are the Techincal calls justifiable, or are they just some referees trying to insure some pistons players miss enough games to impact the playoffs?

Is it realistic to empower Rasheed and now Rip to man up take the call and move on?

How much are these ticky tack calls impacting the play of the Pistons?

Is it just me, or does every year the players seem to hit the fatigue wall right before the post-season?

With Sheed having to sit out on every other tech received, this will undoubtedly affect us going into the home stretch. Rip Hamiliton is only a sneeze away from being in the same predicament, I am at a standstill as to what (if anything)that can be done from a coaching perspective.

We have been going deep into the playoffs for the past 5 years or so, with the same core players, how much impact does this have on post-season performance (chicago did it, lakers did it, maybe they changed a few core palyers in between, not sure).

Hopefully by the pre-season, I think the tech foul situation resets, whatever players that are fatigue, suffering from malaise, i.e. will pick up their game and the techs will slow down which I doubt seriously.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Pistons need to REST a few of these players before the playoffs begin. It seems to me that fatigue may play a role in getting the tech fouls. Except, of course, for Sheed. For him, it's just an itch he's gotta SCRATCH...........:gun1:
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

I sat so close at the two games I attended this year, that I was able to actually hear the chit chat between the players and the refs.

I was quite surprised. When 'Sheed argued calls, he did it in an almost joking way. Rip seems to get genuinely pissed, and screams at the refs. I think his new inside game means Rip has to deal with alot of contact that he didn't have when he was running off screens constantly. Seems to really upset the guy to get hacked, or to think he got hacked.

Here's a plus to Flip Saunders coaching: At the Sonics game, Rip was fouled by Ray Allen. He didn't get the call. It was clear to see that he was losing his cool. One of the guys sitting next to me commented that this was the time that Rip would run down and hack Ray Allen just to get back at him, and pick up the foul.

Saunders also recognized, as he called a timeout primarily just to let Rip cool off on the bench for a few minutes.
  4. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Sheed is Sheed excuse is getting old. We all know he is an emotional player who performs at a high level when he is angry, however, enough is enough. He must be smart enough to know when to get a tech and when to STFU!

As for Rip, he made a bonehead confession to the press the other day, admitting he gets frustrated by the hard fouls, and how he can`t take too many more hard fouls. He went on to say it seems like every time he goes to the basket he gets clobbered.

I wonder how many coaches and players have made a note of that?

IMO, Sheed and Rip need to play smarter basketball, and put their emotions in check, it`s affecting their game and the Pistons chances of going far in the playoffs.
  5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I've been tired of the whining and complaining for a while now. It is completely rediculous and needs to stop yesterday.

It makes the team look bad to the fans, other teams and the refs.

They need to just SHUT UP AND PLAY BALL!
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Here is a twist.

Fatigue isn't that big an issue. It's not like we can take away the weight of the last 4 years playoff runs.

But health? Health is golden.
  7. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Rasheed certainly wouldn't perform better.

Rip, Tayshaun, and Chauncey, probably.
  8. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

9. roscoe36

The team has a serious lack of leadership and mental toughness at times.

Going back to the Cleveland series last year, they seem to fold under adversity from the refs, from physical play.

I blame George Blaha and Greg Kelser for cheering on their dramatic combacks (and failed comeback attempts). :nerd2: :MusicBigGrin: :gun1:

If the shots are going in, and the refs are nice, and no one muscles us up, we can beat anyone in this league.

If any two of those are not going our way, call it a loss.
  10. buddahfan

I don't know about Rip but with Sheed you got to wonder.

If Fatima was any kind of women she would bust his, family jewels, for being such a whiner. I sure hope he is not the same at home.

:hoops:
  11. Nemo

If they don't curb their emotions, the next step is they walk off the court at the end of a series without shaking hands. Don't want that.:stirthepot:
  12. roscoe36

Well, there is usually no handshaking at the end of the Finals, so lets hope they stay on the court for the trophy ceremony. :)
  13. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think it really matters. That's not what costs us games.

What I think really needs to happen is the NBA needs to make its officials accountable for their mistakes just as players are accountable for theirs, remove their ability to "self-govern," and stop acting like these guys are infallible just because they "watch a lot of game film."

The players are completely judged on what they are able to accomplish in games and playoff series, it should not come down to whether some guy with a whistle decides Player A doesn't get to play today because he's going to be on the bench with 4 fouls in the 1st half or Player B is more established than Player C so I'm going to give that guy the benefit of the call most times.

Why do we have a rule book if there aren't serious efforts made to call things based on what's in the rules and not by the personality of certain officials or by "rookie/superstar calls" or by "trying to get the game under control?"

If these guys would call games evenly and consistently, half of the arguments wouldn't take place, Pistons or not. If I can sit and watch on television and see that they are calling it on one end, but not on the other, I KNOW a guy on the court is gonna get pissed.

After my discussion with Ronnie Nunn at last year's VSL. I know these guys are supposed to do the job a certain way. However, they are not held accountable (and I mean publicly accountable just as the players are) for their inconsistencies and personality quirks. If they are going to hold players accountable for those very same attributes then you cannot allow the officials carte blanche to call the game at their whim.
  14. buddahfan

You are correct, but I don't believe it is realistic to ever take the human element out of the officiating aspect until our technologies advance far enough to where you can have a Star Trek type "Data" as an on the floor official.

That being said. It is the player's responsibility to adjust their games to the quirks of the officials, not the other way around. It is like in a marriage. If you wait for your partner to fix their quirks that upset you, nothing will ever change.

15. Nemo

Buddah, of course you are correct, and insightful. Can the Pistons turn that part of their game around????????
  16. Pwn Toney

Well, I think that's where I part ways with the majority. I don't think we should make it acceptable for officials to be blatantly biased or incompetent. They don't have to be perfect androids, but they SHOULD be held accountable and all of this so-called "internal accountability" doesn't fly for me.

Contrary to what I got from Ronnie Nunn, the league wants you to believe that these guys don't make mistakes and that the players shouldn't ever argue because the refs are right. I'm not buyin.

If most feel the players should be held to a higher standard and adjust to the refs then I think the refs who are the "moderators" of the game should be held in that regard doubly so. We shouldn't be able to spot the personal digs that refs have because they should be above that. We've all seen them:
    1. Drexler/Jake O'Donnell
    2. LB / Bennett Salvatore (of airline ticket fraud fame)
    3. Stackhouse / Violet Palmer
    4. Earl Strom / The entire Pistons roster
    5. Sheed / Steve Javie and/or Ron Garretson
    Even if you tried to make it into a parent/child analogy, the parent is still responsible for acting like an adult even if the child is being difficult.

If you want to back to the marriage analogy, you can adjust your behavior all you want, but the obviously wrong behavior by the spouse will never cease if you simply keep finding new ways to live with it.
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. This is a great post.

Mark Cuban does a lot of statistical analysis on officials and their tendencies. I believe that officials need to be held accountable. Once the ball is tossed up, though, players need to just play the game.
  18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

A new mini series..."THE SHEEDS"

Fatima, I'm tellin ya damn it... I done took out the trash yesterday... can don't lie!
    OMG... OMG did yall see that mailman drop my ESPN mag in the mud... OMG (arms flailing)... that feloneous cat is out ta get me.:whoosh2:
  19. Pwn Toney

Exactly, but until you have, as you stated, officials being held accountable, the NBA is not operating in good-faith as far as the player/ref relationship is concerned.
  20. buddahfan

For sure we all agree that when the defense has got the offense locked down tighter than a oil drum it is up to the offense to make the adjustments to get the darn cover off the barrel. That is the only way to oil up the offense and get it firing on all cylinders.

So too, when someone has got you locked down in a relationship the only way to free yourself is to change your behavior, whatever that entails, to take back control of the situation.

Right now the refs got the Sheed and Rip locked down. Asking for Napoleon's front office minons to come down on Napoleon's on court minons is not going to bring about the desired result. The game is bigger than Sheed and Rip.

It is up to them to change their ways to become more efficient and take the officials out of it. Right now Sheed and Rip have the Pistons playing five on eight. That is no way to win a championship.