Would you pick them?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by S.J., May 28, 2010.

1. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I was thinking about this..

What if Wesley Johnson, DeMarcus Cousins or Al-Farouq Aminu slips to the 7th pick? Would you pick them?

I mean, I know that probably all of you would pick Cousins without a doubt.

But what if Wesley Johnson or Aminu are available.. they both are very athletic Small Forwards, but we have a lot of SF..

What I'm trying to say is that, Wesley and Aminu are not "needs" for our current roster. So, would you pick them?? or you rather pick something that we need (a Big man like Monroe or Udoh or Davis or Whiteside)?

Is the risk worthy of pick an SF like Wes Johnson or Aminu above a Big man (a true need)???

Some people say that you have to draft for talent, no matter what your needs are. Some others say that it's all about your needs..
  2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Pick the best guy available with the highest upside to become a "star".
    THAT is drafting based on team need!

We need a bonified all-star that we can build this team around. We're not a "big-man away" from being a contender. We're a franchise player away.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Especially on THIS team

From being a franchise..............But Aminu and Johnson are really, really good players, but if you can get the best big man in this draft, TAKE HIM!!!!! I'd also take Wes Johnson if he fell to 7 and Cousins was off the board (BTW I'd also take Johnson over Derrick Favors). Don't forget, Tay is probably our most coveted asset on the team right now, there's a really good chance that he won't be here when camp starts.
  4. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

That would be Johnson.

Amazing, and how many people have seen someone like Wade play for how many years?
  5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I like Wes Johnson....ALOT! But not more than Cousins, I'd take the risk and assume that most of the BS is because he's 19 years old.

But if Cousins is gone and Wes Johnson is there at 7, GET HIM!!!!!

A lineup where Daye, JJ and Johnson are all on the court together at the same time would be very interesting.
  6. Gordoneuva

Gordoneuva Second Round Draft Pick

I would take Aminu in a heartbeat. He's wiry strong and I think he can rebound in the NBA. I have been sold on him since the Duke game where he jumped straight up off two legs amongst Zoubek and someone else, grabbed the board, came down, and went straight up and finished amongst a 7 footer trying to body him.

Those kinds of talents translate to the NBA. I could see him rebound like Shawn Marion.

I would take Aminu over Wes, but not Cousins. Wouldn't complain about either one of them though.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Aminu, Wes Johnson, Greg Monroe, and Udoh are 4 guys who I don't really want, but I'll take.
  8. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Who do you want that we can select with the 7th pick, KG?
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I think the most ideal thing is to trade the pick. If the pick can not be traded then Udoh, Monroe, Johnson, Aminu will pacify me.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

So I am reviewing last year's draft. After one season, this is how it shook out.

[​IMG]

We've got basically nothing at 1 and 2. #1 was injured, who knows how he will recover. #2 looks like a bust. Thabeet might be the Cousins of last year's draft.

#3 was decent, #4 looks like a potential franchise player.

#5 might not be in the league for another year or two.

#6 and #7 were standout rookies, #7 might be a franchise player.

At this time, #10 and #21 look like very good players, and #9, #11, #17 and #18 are honorable mentions.

I'm not down on our #7 position. Our position in the draft will not keep us from grabbing a quality player, our scouting and decision making will make or break us.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The only issue is that they rushed Curry to the court too early. He didn't grow much as a man this year, which is really what it's all about.
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor