Would you trade Carlos Arroyo?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by puertoricanballer, Nov 6, 2005.

1. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

The Question's Wrong

One doesn't "look to trade a player", except in a few very special circumstances where that individual is a cancer. One "looks to trade FOR a player" or "fill a need", and then determines what they are willing to give up to do so.

So the question isn't really whether we "want" to trade Arroyo. The question is, what weaknesses does this team have and what would we need to do to address those?

My personal feeling is that it's still way too early to know, and I'm very happy with CA as our backup point. He seems to be a pretty nice complement to Chauncey as he has a substantially different skill set, and, although he does have a tendency to over-dribble and is only a so-so defender, that fact is that as a backup point there aren't a whole lot of guys out there who are better alternatives.

Mike James would be worth considering, but Delk is really more of a combo guard (I think he averaged something like 2 assists last year in substantial minutes), which means he really doesn't offer us the change of pace from Chauncey that Arroyo does.
  2. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

Semantics

Thanks for the lesson!!! I though it was a well defined question, but obviously not. Oh semantics....:ohwell:
  3. max

max All-Star

No

No. I was hard on him but he is off to a great season.
  4. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Wow, this is crazy...

All summer long it was "trade Dos Los for this one good guy"... "or trade Dos Los for these two decent guys..."

Now everyone seems to all of the sudden think that it's good to have them around.

I guess I feel vindicated for arguing against trading either of them all summer.
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

If Delfino don't start playing some defense we should trade him for Nachos & a slurpee.
  6. G-man

G-man Starter

Jiminy jumpshot....

Would that be a large plate of nachos with a small slurpee
    or
    A large slurpee with a small plate of nachos?

:laugh:
  7. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Delfino for Nachos & Slurpee. :)

ha..ha..ha...ha..

as long as we get free re-fills i'm all for it. :laugh:
  8. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

:rofl:

Uh...no. I would send him up to TO for Mike James. If not, Charlotte's got a young guy they just drafted that handles the ball pretty well....I think it's Raymond Felton.
  9. puertoricanballer

CA to Charlotte?

If you were Charlotte's GM, will you trade Raymond Felton for CA? I didn't think so either...:confused:
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I will trade anyone, anytime for Nachos and Slurpee.

See ya later Big Ben.... ;) :laugh: :nod: :P
  11. LA Sam

LA Sam Second Round Draft Pick

Arroyo may trade himself

(in response to the Sac game)

Some think Arroyo is doing good, while other think there's room for improvement. To those that think there is room for improvement, I would go even further, and say that unless Arroyo corrects his glaring problems, he won't be here much longer. Anybody that needed stats to see how inferior Arroyo is to Mike James, isn't really looking hard. Most of Arroyo's problems are mental, but the phisical ones are bad as well.

Problem 1: Arroyo is slow, and he doesn't seem to know it or believe it. He plays superior guards WAY too close, like Mike James and Hunter do, but they blow by him to the basket, unlike Hunter & James. This is where his physical limitation conflicts with his mental orientation. He can't play them that close, he has to deny something, and not give up everything.

Problem 2: Arroyo doesn't have the mentality to run the point, he just isn't cool enough. When he gets beat, or gets ripped off, he looks to retailate by going one on one. I understand that you just can't let someone abuse you and get away with it, but you have to pick how you make them pay. Either his teammates need to set him up, or you make them pay by doing your job, and not letting that crap affect you. Arroyo does neither.

The good news is that these are correctable problems, but are they correctable for Arroyo? I'm not sure, but I do know he could use some tough love on the bench if he doesn't get it together. I've seen this too much from him, and I'm sure he'll hear from Flip, so I'm hoping this gets addressed. If not, we may be seeing more of Hunter and the rook, or maybe even a trade.
  12. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

trade arroyo

Carlos is looking like Carlos again. Why did we sign this kid? Cuz he is a pass first point guard who can get people involved in the offense.
    We did not sign him to be a stopper (it wouldn’t hurt him to play better d but that’s why we have the aged wonder Lindsey)
    I was all about trading los dos for Jalen over the summer cuz I like Jalen and I think he could help but the way things are shaping up so far Arroyo is playing great and that would have possibly been a mistake. Who would be our backup pg with Hunter out right now? ACKER? No thanks.
    I was not calling for Joes head because of no summer moves but I was concerned, needless to say being off to a fast start helps alleviate that rather quickly. Imo if Arroyo sticks around its fine by me, he is only 26 so he still has a long career ahead of him. KEEP HIM!
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Carlos needs to gain maturity like Chauncey did. His skills are very good, but the mental aspect of the game seems to be his biggest challenge right now.

His teammates are talented, he doesn't need to force the action. Everyone loves the slick passes like they loved CB bombing 3s. But CB has become more than a bomber or last second shot maker, he's become the general, the leader, the orchestrator.

That's the step that CA has to take if he wants to be GREAT. He has to get mentally tough and fight through foul problems and cheap shots. He has to channel his emotion into smart play.
  14. MotownPride

...and this dude seriously needs to stop blowing layups. At that size, you really can't afford to blow bunnies like that. Not a big deal against Sac-town since we slaughtered them, but if we get into a close game and he blows one I might throw something at the TV.
  15. puertoricanballer

TV throwing

Arroyo: "Oh no Motown, not the TV....AAAAAhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!"
    :fear: :crutch:
  16. MotownPride

lmao! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  17. MSU Spartan

MSU Spartan Second Round Draft Pick

Carlos for Mike James

I would trade his for Mike James.. what he and Lindsay Hunter brought to our defense in the championship run was greatly missed last year.. Those two pressed the ball up the floor like a Rick Pitno KY Wildcats Final Four team... If we could get Mike back then I would let Carlos go in a heartbeat.. other than that he is a pretty decent back up point.. when he is not dribbling the shot clock out and only passing when he gets trapped in double teams on the baseline
  18. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Earl Watson

Smarmy Jim Gray of ESPN interviewed Kiki Vandeweghe last night and asked about the playing time of Earl Watson (6 minutes in one game). Vandeweghe said he's confident Watson will get more playing time because George Karl likes to "go small." But he didn't seem so sure. I wonder if, for those of you who aren't sold on Arroyo if we could work out a three-way blockbuster with Denver and Minny to get Watson and KG. Pretty far-fetched. I guess I'm dreaming. I'd hate to see what we would have to give up.
  19. MotownPride

Intriguing. :eyebrows:
  20. puertoricanballer

Trade

Do you think the nachos and slurpee deal will work here? :confused: