1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Wow...I didn't see this coming...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pwn Toney, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Commentary: Pistons need to cut Rasheed Wallace | detnews.com | The Detroit News

I just didn't realize Rasheed Wallace was the problem...

This just can't be tolerated. Towel maimings are a known danger and should be kept from happening under ANY circumstance.

Actually, I'm tired of Detroit's "sports journalists."

2. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

AI gets the whole blame, and sheed comes close second. since both are leaving in summer, they are the good guys to put all blames on for detroit media..

we should boycott detnews.com from now on ..

3. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

What a tool!! If the "blame rests" with Joe Dumars, why shouldn't Dumars cut ties with himself? Why isn't this an article about how Davidson needs to let Dumars go?

Sheed can be a fool, no doubt about it. But to attempt to make the argument that out of all the factors one could summon to explain our suckiness, out of all the escapegoats one could round up and shoot sheed is the one is just plain stupidity.

I swear I could simply cut and paste into a single article, say, four posts by different forum members -- four posts that represent different analyses of the problems with the team and even contradictory recommendations for what we should do, lay those four posts end to end and we'd have a far more informed, intelligent, and coherent point of view than anything these writers are serving up these days.

4. Pwn Toney

Yeah...there was a thinly veiled "AI might not actually be hurt" in there. Besides, these jackholes act like Sheed gets ejected 81 out of 82 games a year.

5. max

max All-Star

I am all for suspending him and then bringing him off the bench when he comes back. They say he threw a towel at the ref but it hit one of the assistants in the face. Was he trying to do that or hit the ref?

Cut him? I don't know. Cut him for what - so he can sign with Boston, Clev or one of the other contenders. At this point I think he needs to stick it out with the rest of the team.

I have been one of the more supportive Wallace bashers. In all honesty he has lost a step. Shots don't fall as easily in the post so he takes more 3's. Defense is not always there. Its frusterating for an aging vet when they slow down and are still expected to perform as before.

Bring him off the bench and cut his mins down to 20 or so. He can still be a nice talent to have but it does not have to be all or nothing.

6. Pwn Toney

Exactly. I can come here and get 10x the analysis that that rag serves up on a daily basis even with their "inside access." For all their "access" that "real journalists" get that "basement internet guys" don't get, they have the worst insight and information one could ask for...and they wonder why the papers are struggling.

Wanting not to compromise your supposed "access" should not be a license to serve up hot garbage right off the press.

7. Pwn Toney

I still think he could start, but you are absolutely correct.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." - Obi Wan Kenobi

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Did I call this, or did I call this?
    You guys think I am the guy here because I am gorgeous and popular and funny, but the truth is, I have a mind like a steel trap! :yellowprison:

9. Pwn Toney

YOU GOOD.

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

We complain that these writers don't come out with what's really on their minds and then we lambaste them when they do?

Maybe Foster is right. I am not saying that I necessarily agree with him, but much of what he is saying DOES appear to be true. Or at least it could be true. Sheed needs to grow up and the Pistons do need to hold him accountable.

We on the forum do not have the exclusive license to "tell it like it is"...or like we think it is.

I'm OK with this article.

My intent is not to ruffle any feathers but that is MY opinion.

11. max

max All-Star

Curry has a way of turning pluses into minuses. What other team in the league would be worse off with AI or could not find a role for Sheed.

12. roscoe36

I don't buy much of what Foster writes, but the premise of this article is decent.

I'm just saying that it is very predictable that Sheed would be next. I know how the blame game goes.

13. Pwn Toney

It's not about them not writing what's on their minds. It's about these writers doing nothing but the obvious, surface level reporting. Of course Sheed is an easy target and if you start railing on him, you'll find no shortage of people going, "Yeah...he's a cancer! Get him outta here!"

But, this article AT THIS TIME, is akin to reviewing the team and going, "Yep...it's Rasheed Wallace....they can't fix this thing until he's gone."

I'm sorry, but you've watched this season like the rest of us and you can't honestly say that out of all the problems this team has....it's Rasheed Wallace.

14. roscoe36

Sheed has been pretty lousy in calendar 2009. I just don't understand why other teams with expiring free agents don't have a bunch of guys sulking.

Does Sheed intend to retire? Most guys would be going out of their way to earn an extra couple million in their next deal.

This team is like a massive 20 car pileup, and I am a rubberneck gawker.

15. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

My complaint is NOT that they don't come out with what's really on their minds. My complaint concerns the CONTENT of what IS on their minds AND the quality of their argumentation.

For example, regarding AI, the writer uses the metaphor of nature (i.e. the lion) to argue that the Pistons were silly to bring AI here and expect that anything they do will make him be any different than he ever was (ball-dominating, etc.). But the very same could be said of Sheed: from the beginning of his career Sheed has been remarkably reliable: very-talented, underachieving, reputedly good teammate, liable to emotional outbursts that sometimes help and sometimes hurt the team. Yet, somehow something we do (e.g. holding him accountable) is supposed to CHANGE him? Please. A few columns ago, this same writer, under the headline "Sheed giveth and Sheed taketh away" was going back as far as the championship year (Sheed giveth) and the runner-up year (Sheed taketh away). So, if he wants to be coherent in arguing along these lines, it seems to me that he ought to have said that the Pistons should have never brought Sheed IF they expected him to change his spots. This is the sort of weak excuse for rigorous thought that prompts my complaints.

My additional problem with it is the simplistic reduction of a complex problem to a single cause whose simple remedy is, in fact, nothing more than a facile, emotionally satisfying reflex. Sheed is not THE problem with this team. AI is not THE problem with this team. Getting rid of each of them will not solve things. Each of them may well be among the problems (plural) with this team. I'd be okay with someone saying: I know that AI and Sheed aren't the only problems with this team, but we gotta start somewhere, so let's get rid of them first and then let's move on to address other issues: we have no point guard, we have no back up at the 3, we have no legitimate center, we have no coach, etc...

16. roscoe36

Oh, and it's refreshing to see something other than pablum shoveled by the press, but I think they have lost any capacity for critical thinking, because people here have been saying the same things about Sheed for years.

It's hard to be the leader if you are always late to practice.

Oh snap.

17. max

max All-Star

Thats what I have been wondering.

18. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I'd give them a bit more credit for there "reporting" if they would make an article about how its max and Amir's fault for not improving as much as the front office might have thought, how Prince isn't stepping up and filling some of the leadership void that has happened with Billiups departure, how Stuckey has not adjusted to being the man as fast as he should.... Like Roscoe stated earlier this week there only going after guys who won't be here next year (or atleast most likely wont be)

But yea I have almost totally stopped reading detroit media because its just a waste of time for information, sadly the national media which I have always said doesn't give us the credit we deserves seems to get what is going on in detroit better then our beat writers...... and that is sad on many levels...

19. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

No, I am not saying that at all. He is a part of the problem though, IMO.

Honestly, I must admit that I have not watched even one minute of one game this year. I am basing my opinion on what I have learned from my fellow forumites (opinions which I do trust and value in many cases) and what I have read from other articles online.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Listening to the N.O. announcers last night was pretty revealing.

The were obviously not big fans of Sheed. First they were questioning why he's so in love with the long ball. Then they were laughing at him for screaming "they can't guard me" after a made jump shot when West and Chandler were having a field day of their own out there. Then they mentioned that Sheed was likely to get T'd up in the near future, but that it wouldn't be from confronting another player, but whining to the refs. Within about 2 minutes, the volcano erupted and they were basically pitying him.

The whole thing is pretty ridiculous. I understand Sheed has emotional issues and an energy problem, but we had lost 7 straight games. We were realing big time. AI was out of the game with an injury. And despite all of that, we were actually in a winnable game playing with some energy. Sheed was playing well. Getting a T there... and then getting kicked out of the game was about as selfish as it gets. If I were coaching that and my job was at risk, I would be so incredibly livid at Sheed that I would probably end the Rasheed Wallace experiment.