Wow...I didn't see this coming...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pwn Toney, Feb 26, 2009.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Isn't that blaming Joe D?
  2. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

He wants to apologize?

[​IMG]
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

How long would it take to build around Bosh/other ? Toronto has been doing it for years. What's the guaranty this new team could get out of the 1st round.
    Loc
  4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I feel like this is a little near-sighted. Didn't we get Ben, Sheed, Chauncey, Rip, Dice, Mike James, and Memo by Joe taking low-risk calculated gambles with unproven or "question mark" players (Sheed attitude, Dice knees)? I'm all for him trying to continue to do this. If we can get a marquee-type player for a good price, by all means. But ignoring his successes while criticizing moves that didn't pan out is ridiculous. He's following the same strategy that got us a championship several times. Look for character, complementary pieces, and value.

And let's call a spade a spade. "Rebuilding" is corporate double-speak that teams pull out when they suck so bad they don't have any other way to get fans to buy season tickets.
  5. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

You don't rebuild to get out of the first round. Usually, when a team rebuilds it means they build a championship caliber team over the course of a few years. And last time I checked Toronto wasn't Deeeetroit Baaaaaasketbaaaalll!
  6. Tha Locstah

What "several" championships are you referring to? FYI, every player you mention was picked up YEARS ago as in more than 4. Take a look at the moves Joe has made SINCE the 'ship. Not too impressive. You wanna call a spade a spade? Joe hasn't made 1 single move since 2004 that has gotten us anywhere near another ship. Who's hiring these coaches? Who's putting the product on the floor? One more thing, "rebuilding" may be corp. double speak but it's also something a team does when the thing they've been doing for any number of years successfully is no longer working so they have to take a new approach which usually means scraping their roster and starting over.

If you disagree you are probably one of those "we're only one player away" types. Not gonna happen. We're easily 2-3 players away from competing with Boston or Cleveland seriously again.
  7. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I was thinking the same thing. What a bizarre turnaround and I feel more than slightly embarrassed for the Commissioner's office. This is a bad sign, right along with their new loan policy.
  8. coynejeremy

In 2003/2004 noone thought we were going to win a championship either. It's hard to say whether one key acquisition will do it or whether we will struggle before we find players good enough. Most teams win by making key acquisitions until they are good enough to win. Sometimes those acquisitions happen very quickly (see Boston), but most teams are always trying to get better.

The way most people on here talk about rebuilding, it sounds like they think we should be throwing our players in the trash just for the sake of getting new players. Thats why I dislike this call for "rebuilding." Rebuilding is a myth. Teams are almost always trying to upgrade their talent to replace players that leave in free agency or retirement, or simply if they see a competitive or financial advantage in doing so. Sometimes things work out, sometimes they don't. When they don't, people say they are "rebuilding" . It's just a nice way of saying, "Sorry we SUCK. We'll be better soon, we promise!"

And by "several", I meant that I think Joe D is following the same philosophy the Pistons have had for years that got them their other recent championships (while Dumars was playing). Make key acquisitions when you can (if they will make you better). Look for bargains.
  9. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

No doubt... I was still fuming over that shot for a few days. I try not to take any one regular season loss too hard, but that was one of the most painful in a long time, especially with the uneventful ending to the game.
  10. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

I feel so good hearing everything that some truly agrees with me thats lets not to much point our fingers too AI,sheed, Curry.. PARTLY JOE d is partly to be blame.. He has never ever done anything sinced 2004.. its like 5 years and he never done anything big exept for scratchinnnnn his *&^ss shame on you JOE
  11. Tha Locstah

I hear ya. I guess what I was trying to say is that I don;t feel that what Joe's been doing these past few years has worked out for them. I don't think he has drafted very well (with the exception being Prince and maybe Stuckey but we'll see) and I'm not a big fan of his moves in FA either. Maybe what I'm trying to say is if anyone needs to step it up it's Joey D.

Hey Joe, stop slippin' in yo pimpin'!
  12. coynejeremy

Fair enough.

But I'll still say this: in Joe I trust.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

What JD did do was sign guys to contracts that the Org. could deal with. No one got over $15M per.
    If any of the signings had put us over the cap, the core would've rotted out after '06.
    Go to Work.