1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

WXYT 1270AM Joe Dumars Interview Jun 12 2007

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Jun 13, 2007.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Attached Files:

2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Re: Joe on 1270 AM

Best interview so far. Thanks for the link himat.

His vehement defense of Rasheed was extremely telling.

He made Amir sound like the second coming. I'm trying really hard not to drink the Kool-Aid but he is making it difficult by saying Amir can outrun Rip etc, etc.

He will trade anyone except Amir and he wants the #15 pick to play immediately alongside Amir, JMax, and Acker. Sounds to me like he is on the fence right now as far an all out rebuild or if he keeps the core and tries to get to the finals.

Perhaps his decision rests with what Chauncey does.
    Either way. The best interview so far IMO.

3. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Drink the kool aid.

I would not trade him straight up for Durant.

This is coming from a guy that believes Sheed is a borderline top 10 all time Power Forward.

He will be the rare swiss army knife big man on D and a guy that can play on the block (possibly better than Sheed), and take you off the bounce (already way better than Sheed), and shoot from outside (better than Sheed at the same stage). Plus he can jump equally well off 1 or 2 feet... something that is of huge importance.

Add all that to the fact he is putting on muscle way better than expected and grew 2" and I'm ready to go all rollergirl on him...

4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I enjoyed the part about phoenix. haha.

5. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA

Good stuff. Looks like Joe is really going to put his stamp on the team. He is planning to do more micromanagement. Good. Lets hope it works.
    Thanks, himat.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Added the file to the first post in the thread. Haven't listened yet, but thanks a lot himat for sharing the link!

7. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

Wow. Joe was on fire! "Infuse that young talent NOW!"

8. mikhail1973

Looks like his patience is running really thin. Should be a clear signal to Flip that he has to follow through on these requirements or else.

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Thanks Himat. TERRIFIC interview!!!!!!!!

Joe was quite candid IMO, and I'm very encouraged. Only thing I don't get is why Flip remains, but obviously he felt the players (other than Sheed) did not show up.

I feel better about this now. Sounds like there may be some movement after all.

He was talking about Sheed when he said he gives players rope if they produce. In other words, he's ok with Sheed hating Flip as long as Sheed brings it.

He was pissed and he said so. Yep, Much more than I've ever heard Joe say. Every time I start to get mad at Joe, he regains my admiration.

Amir, Amir, Amir. Plus Jmax & maybe Ack...I love it.

10. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

I don't get sound out here. Can anyne cite and transcript of the interview??

11. max

max All-Star

Dumars has been stepping back from his earlier philosophy of not interferring with the coaches decisions. 4 different coaches ( if you count Irvine ).

Time to step in and the main reason I can see for keeping Flip is that he must be easy to infuence.

Lets see how it plays out next season.

12. rpmfla

rpmfla Second Round Draft Pick

Well, as fans, we have to get excited about Joe D's intensity and drive.

I do not think the current rotation players (other than Sheed maybe) would like hearing what he has said on the radio, especially in this latest interview. He pretty much says that everyone other than Sheed coasted and didn't "bring it" every playoff game. That is as blunt as he could get without calling out specific players and criticizing them in the press.

I do recall Chauncey quoted in the press that he didn't play well but played hard. I don't think Rip is a coaster, and Tayshaun had a horrible shooting series against Cleveland (and couldn't stop LeBron, but no one player stops a player like LeBron), but could we say he coasted? I think he is mainly referring to Chris Webber, who to me seemed to "bring it" only some of the time.

Whether Joe is referring to one player or the whole team (again, other than Sheed who he praised and defended repeatedly), the players egos must really have taken a hit when the GM calls them out for lack of effort.

So, I am very excited to hear his insistence on infusing the young talent next season, as I wanted more of that this season, but I hope team chemistry is maintained with all of the bruised egos. "Bring it" or find another place to play! Max, Carlos, Amir, Acker, Samb?, draft picks...woohoo! fun times (even if they take a small step back in wins).

13. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

everyone needs to listen to this interview. it was fantastic. if nothing else, we need the young blood in not only to give the starters a rest, but to challenge them. they've been too comfortable knowing their job / role is safe regardless.

14. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I'm pretty sure the players heard JoeMars speech a lot sooner than we did, and in uncensored fashion.

15. rpmfla

rpmfla Second Round Draft Pick

Yes, but it is one thing to hear it in the privacy of the Piston's locker room or Joe's office and another to hear him say it in the media. Either way it has to sting, but I'm not saying that is a bad thing.

16. mikhail1973

I agree. It all depends on how they take it. CB might say - oh, screw it, and leave. Or he may man up and play better next year, if he's here. We'll have to wait and see.

17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I am glad the radio hosts kept firing questions, it got Dumars to give his true opinions.