[Yahoo! Sports] Lions cut WR Rogers, No. 2 pick overall in 2003 (AP)

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Media Guy, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Media Guy

Media Guy First Round Draft Pick

Charles Rogers was cut by the Detroit Lions on Saturday, three years after they drafted the receiver second overall. Rogers' Detroit career ended with only 36 receptions for 440 yards and four touchdowns along with two broken collarbones and a four-game suspension. First-year coach Rod Marinelli was unimpressed by Rogers work ethic and production during training camp, when he was slowed by a sore...

Link To Original Article
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

3. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

I can't believe they cut Collarbone but it was the right thing to do regardless of draft status.Seems like we could have gotten something but who'd give up anything for anyone who is going to be released when it's like a Goodwill shopping spree,you look for everyones best throwouts for cheap.Well I like Marinachi's approach and hopefully it sends a message that the team and especially M'Williams takes to heart.Pinner could be a decent back but we have enough on the roster.Maybe he'll get picked up by Denver and rush for 2k.
  4. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

It is going to be a long season. The more things change the more it seems like more of the same. As for Rogers, the Lions knew they were going to cut him last year after he got suspended for 4 games. They never gave him a chance after that suspension but Charles Rogers is at fault for that. When you bring bad press to your team and abuse drugs you have no one to blame but yourself. However, I do blame the Lions organization for playing games and not just being up front with how they felt. It has been apparent to me for quite some time that they did not want him here. I don't care how poorly they claimed he practiced it is training camp for crying out loud. You put him out there send him deep and throw him the ball. I don't care that Glen Martinez is a excellent practice play. If that loser can not catch a ball in a real game in the 4th quarter then he is useless.

Maybe the change of scenary and the fresh start will be good for Rogers. He can go somewhere and be given a fair chance to be the #1 guy. No matter what he did here or how much faster than Roy he is, Charles was never going to be the #1 guy in the Lions eyes again. That is something I think ultimately that sunk in to Rogers after he came back from his injury and was his undoing as his motivation was gone because he realized no matter what he did he would not get a chance to reclaim his job.
  5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm surprised by a couple of those cuts.

Butler, Davis and Brock Gutierrez are the biggest ones for me.

There was talk of them trading Brock to Cleveland for the past few weeks. He's a solid vet that can back up multiple positions.

Davis has been a starter for the Lions and with all the injuries at LB, I'm surprised they let him go.

I thought they'd get more out of Butler than they did. He's a big boy.

They were trying to get a pick for Pinner and/or Rogers as well, but there were no takers.

Hopefully we can sign Matua and McCann to the practice roster.
  6. Media Guy

[Yahoo! Sports] Lions cut WR Rogers (SportsTicker)

BRISTOL, Connecticut (Ticker) - New Detroit Lions coach Rod Marinelli is preaching a no-nonsense work ethic. Wide receiver Charles Rogers failed the test.

Link To Original Article
  7. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

8. Media Guy

[Yahoo! Sports] WR Rogers, RB Suggs among NFL cuts (SportsTicker)

BRISTOL, Connecticut (Ticker) - New Detroit Lions coach Rod Marinelli is preaching a no-nonsense work ethic. Wide receiver Charles Rogers failed the test.

Link To Original Article