1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

[Yahoo! Sports] Lions WR Rogers to miss another preseason game (AP)

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Media Guy, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Media Guy

Media Guy First Round Draft Pick

[Yahoo! Sports] Lions WR Rogers to miss another preseason game (AP)

Detroit Lions receiver Charles Rogers will miss Friday's preseason game at Oakland because of a knee injury, which forced him to miss the previous game and two weeks of practice. He barely played in Detroit's preseason opener, catching one pass, and was low on the depth chart when he was healthy enough to practice.

2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Rogers is done.

The 4th pre-season game is for starters. Rogers is like 95th on the depth chart, so he won't even have another opportunity to try and make the team.

He's as good as gone. You can take that to the bank.

3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Rogers is not as dumb as I thought. You can't cut a guy on the injured list. He will carry his little aweeee all the way into the season. :laugh:

4. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Is he doing this to get cut though?Also with the salary he carries do you really think the Lions will eat it?I dunno,he has the potential and when he was healthy his 1st year he produced.I think he's done here but I would have liked to see a hometown boy do good.

5. jammertime

Well, its starting to look like both Rogers and Williams will make the team.

MLive.com: Everything Michigan

I think Rogers should be released. He's had 4 seasons to earn it and to prove that he deserves it. A player like that is a cancer. He's a spoiled child who expects everything to come easy and to be handed to him. You'd have thought the drug suspension would have been the final wake up call he needed, but he still acts like nothing is his fault.

Marinelli is being a hypocrite IMO. He released Dan Wilkinson for the exact same reason.

So now we're going to have 2 dead roster spots so they can send these 2 guys a "message". Not to mention the fact that we're going to have to hear about this crap all season long. Well guess what, THEY AREN'T GETTING IT!

Williams has only been in the league 1 year, and had to sit out his final year in college. I think he still has a shot. But Rogers is a waste of time, money, energy and a roster spot.

6. jammertime

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Maybe it's my MSU bias, but I'll be glad if Rogers makes the cut. Same with Williams.

True enough they haven't "earned" a spot, and Rogers, at least, has acted irresponsibly in the past, but the Lions badly need their talent.

I hear you Jammer, this could hurt the team, but I'd give it just one more shot if I'm the coach.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The Lions need talent. It's the second least talented team in the division.

These guys are losers and headcases, with little adult maturity, but lord-e-lord can they play with the old pigskin.

Can't afford to lose these guys (yet).

You won't win many games with Jon Kitna and Scotty Vines playing catch.

9. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Well, Wilkinson was looking at the situation and trying to decide if he wanted to be a part of it or not. He decided he didn't like the way it looked, so negotiations broke down, and the coaching staff said "Forget him." I don't think it was as much a matter of his work ethic, as it was they didn't want the distraction. But then again, so much happens behind closed doors that we'll never know about, it's all specualtion.

10. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Especially since Vines is probably going to miss the 1st six weeks of the season with a groin injury.

11. jammertime

I think you that Rod is trying to tear the team down before building it back up.

The lions have had the cart before the horse for years.

Its no sense drafting talented players if they come into a country club atmosphere and never learn to become a professional. They think everything is handed to them and that they can just turn it on and off when they need to.

You have to set the standards and expectations first, so that when the rookies and FA come in, they know what to expect.

Its really hard to change bad habits once they form.

12. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Looks like Williams and Rogers will make the roster:

Charles Rogers and Mike Williams are going to make the Detroit Lions 53-man roster, but that doesn't mean they deserve it. -- Mlive.com