1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

[Yahoo! Sports] Marinelli ready to get to work with Lions (AP)

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Media Guy, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Media Guy

Media Guy First Round Draft Pick

[Yahoo! Sports] Marinelli ready to get to work with Lions (AP)

Rod Marinelli spoke sternly and made gestures to explain concepts. Standing in a room filled with reporters is part of his job as Detroit Lions coach, but Marinelli would rather be in a crouch on the field getting his message across to players. The new coach will get his wish Friday morning when he suits up the Lions in pads for their first of many practices in training camp.

2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I love Rod Marinelli more and more each day. There's no BS with him. I believe every word he says, which is REALLY saying something in sports these days.

He tells it like it is, but what I like more than anything is that he doesn't fill you with false hope or lofty goals. He's just a passionate football man and he doesn't over complicate things. Its all about the basics. Execution, Attitude and Hard Work.

The combination of Mike Martz, Rod Marinelli and Donnie Henderson is PERFECT for this country club, laughing stock organization. Actually, you can throw in Larry Beightol, the offensive line coach as well.

The funniest thing is, I can't see this team doing much better than .500 this season - if that. Yet this is the happiest I've been as a Lions fan in a long, long time. Sure we'll lose our share of games, but this team is going to play the right way. You've got to start with that and work your way up. The talent is there, we just need to get the execution.

Marinelli doesn't care if you're the first overall pick or an undrafted walk on. Either you get it done, or you're gone. He has absolutely no ties to any of the players. Its all about performing on the field on Sundays.

Now we just have to switch to the black jerseys for every game and we're all set.

3. jammertime

oh yeah.... and fire Millen.

4. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

I agree [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I agree. There really seems to be some hope now. (I feel like Charlie Brown right before Lucy pulls the football away,lol).

Will those hopes be dashed again when they suit up? Maybe not.

Yeah, but Millen definitely has to go. He doesn't seem to have a clue.

6. cwolfson

cwolfson First Round Draft Pick

All this hard ass drill sargeant crap only goes so far. You've also got to be able to coach ... run a team, come up with a game plan, etc, etc. Let's see first whether this untried guy who never even had a coordinator position is up to it.

7. jammertime

One of the things I really like about him is that he seems firm but fair. He's been called a players coach. The guys that have played for him all sign his praises and said that he treated them like men.

Mooch was a players coach as well, to a fault. I don't think Rod will beat his guys up, but he will toughen them up.

True he's never been a head coach in the NFL, but he's been a head coach before. He was also the Assistant Head Coach in Tampa for a few years.

I've really liked his professionalism and his ability to handle the media so far. But the season hasn't even started yet, so of course we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Rod actually reminds me of a cross between Bobby Ross and Mooch. He likes tough, hard, physical football like Ross, but without the lisp or bipolar disposition.

And he's also very well spoken and well respected like Mooch, without the country club approach.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The real conflict will be Marinelli versus the Lions culture.

I hope he's great, and more so, I hope we don't lose him due to the incompetence of the ownership and front office.

You see, I also liked another tough guy, Bobby Ross. But he cracked like peanut brittle under a hammer.

One thing you have to say about the Lions, their consistent buffonery is able to overcome any coach, even those with military backgrounds.