Yi wont play for the Bucks

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Abe Froemen, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I think NBA has to put some safeguards in place to protect the teams against the a-holes like this. He agreed to get drafted, so he should agree to go to whichever team picks him up. And they should allow Bucks to keep rights to the guy.
  3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Yi doesn't deserve to play in the NBA. Go back to china and stay there. I think he should be banned from the nba for 3 years and needs to re enter the draft instead of as a FA.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The NBA is all about their growing Chinese presence. I could see punishing him if he was from Romania, but Stern always rules in favor of the money.

I think the Bucks should hold their ground. If he wants to play in another league, no problem. If he wants to play in the NBA, they own his rights.

It's nonsense that incoming players think they can dictate where they go, and not even on competitive merit (Steve Francis) but cultural bias.
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I heard that it may be a Chinese delegation or organization (read= part of the government), that is pulling the strings on this one. Yi may be just a pawn who probably would just love to play anywhere in the NBA, but the delegation wants to make sure the area/city where he plays has a large contingent Chinese folk there to support him......so lets not blame it all on the youngster or his immediate family and agent.

What the Bucks need to do is go back to the delegation and ask them to provide 5 cities that they would like Yi to play in. Then the Bucks go to the teams in those cities and offer Yi for player that they need. After all he was a number sixth pick....... if they indicated he would go to Detroit, I would offer them Dice strait up or NAZR and Flip Jr............
  6. mikhail1973

Doesn't matter whose fault it is. Just don't give his rights to any other team. We shouldn't let the Chinese government pull our strings. We're not puppets. Money or no money there are limits to certain things.
  7. mikhail1973

JS Online: Latest excuse from Yi's camp just ridiculous

More in the article
  8. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What is the rule? Didn't Danny Ferry do something like this and had to sit out for some period of time?
  9. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

In their system, things ain't got done in ways we used to do. If my memory serves me right, like Yao Ming, the Rockets pay China and China pay Yao afterward. What bothered me is China official see Yao / Yi as export commodity and people there see them as traitors who bolted for big money and being rich is always a crime over there.
  10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree with all of you that say it's BS that an incoming player can hand pick their teams. It's becoming more and more prevalent. Eli Manning is a perfect example in NFL.
  11. mikhail1973

I say that tools have to be put in place to protect against the scum. If you don't like the way NBA is, go play in Europe and good riddance. It's not enough that those guys make millions, they're also trying to dictate.
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

I doubt that this has anything to do with Yi. I think the Chinese government is handpicking the team, and they pick the Tigers. The Olympics are in Beijing, and there is a lot of national pride involved in the Olympics.
  13. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree that it probably isn't 100% the player. Especially in Yi's case.

I'm sure Archie Manning (Eli Manning's father and agent) had quite a bit to say on the subject when Eli was going through the draft process.

I understand that professional sports is big money business, and everyone is just trying to maximize their earnings, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
  14. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

That's it, man, that's the way we live and I luuuuuv it.
  15. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

This behaviour is nothing new and it will continue to happen until the NBA establish set rules to abide by.

IMO, what is POing everyone is this kid is chinese.

Hell, I wouldn`t want to play for the Bucks either, however, at his age sign a 3year deal, and get the hell out of there after that if you still aren`t happy!
  16. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I wouldn't necessarily pin this stuff on Yi or his people. The Chinese government (through the official sports agencies) is obsessed with micromanaging athletes' careers. Look how they're treating a couple of other Chinese NBAers:

17. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Milwaukee just needs to wise up and trade the turkey. Dumars would never take a player who didn't want to come to Detroit...............That was a bad decision on their part.
  18. mikhail1973

You have to remember, that in some countries Olympics and World Championships are #1 sporting event and everything is geared towards participation and wins in those. In my years in Ukraine Olympics were getting really really extensive coverage. All athletes would kill for participation in the games. It is different cultural environment. That is why the reaction.
  19. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

My whole point on this was that the Bucks made a huge stupid mistake, one that could impact the team for years. I feel no pity for them and will lose no sleep over it. I just can’t believe a team is that DUMB.

Players they could have picked like Brewer, Wright, Noah, Hawes, Law or Young would not have had the same global impact that they were hoping for (they were hoping for Yo no Yao... stupid Visa bit sorry) but could have really helped the team. This is a case of trying to hard to be something your not. Hmmm when I think of a global basketball mecca I think Milwaukee :pound:

Imo China and Japan don’t want to send superstars to loser teams....Dice K did not end up with the Kansas City Royals......Matsui did not end up in Cincinnati for the Reds. Yao ended up with Houston but they have won a title in the last decade so perhaps they thought the team could win again???? Then again Ichiro messes my whole train of thought on that. :gettinghanged: :frusty:

Screw it I just think Milwaukee is retarded and does not deserve a team. Stupid moments in Milwaukee history trade Kareem and pick Yi nuff said
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

It may haved been a pick that they anticipated trading from the beginning.